Thread: The Hidden

The Hidden

My PCA will stay up into the wee hours of the evening watching TV. I am in bed at 10:30 PM. She needs to wake up at 5:30 AM to begin her work. I told her that the TV would be turning off at 11:30 PM, and TV programming would resume in the morning. I stated that this was not a technical problem. I made this decision because the TV was interfering with her work performance. The timer to turn off the TV at 11:30 PM was out of plain sight, and, I thought, well hidden. I learned yesterday that she had turned the timer off. However, the power button on the TV is busted. The TV will still work with the remote control. As of now, the cable and the remote control has been removed from the bedroom. My PCA will arrive tomorrow and I will tell her that the TV is temporarily out of service.

There are no parental controls on this TV. My cable provider stated that they cannot turn the TV off at 11:30 PM or any other time. I can get a more limited cable plan which will give me channels 2 to 13. I can also cancel my TV plan, but there are a few channels that I would like to watch. I thought I was being pretty generous by allowing her to watch TV up until 11:30 PM. I can let her watch TV in my bedroom, but it will not be as comfortable as the guest bedroom.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Not really sure you are going to like my take on this, but you asked for feedback. I think your PCA should do her job, period, and that you should stay out of the whole issue of how much television she watches after you are in bed. The talk of parental controls and electronic ways of denying her access is, well, parental, and not the way a grown adult should be treated. If I was a PCA I would feel pretty infantilized by this approach, and would resent it. If, on the other hand, she does not do her job correctly starting at whatever time she is supposed to start, THAT is an issue, and she should be told she needs to be able to function or she will loose her job.

Am I comprehending this correctly? Your PCA is sleeping past her 5:30 AM wake-up call or is just so sluggish because she had only gone to sleep an hour or two before?

I think as an adult, she may take offense to having a bedtime.

I appreciate the feedback. She will watch TV all night long.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN, if you feel you can be completely honest with your PCA without feeling threatened in any way, I'd just be honest with her. Don't avoid the issue with the television timer, but just explain to her that you're unhappy with her performance because you feel she may be too tired to do her work because she stayed up too long. That seems reasonable.

To lie and tell her the TV is "temporarily out of service" is not only wrong, but will just gravitate the problem in the wrong direction. Tell her straight up what you said here, that it's interfering with her job performance, and tell her how it's interfering- That's the key.

Good luck, you can do this.

I am probably being nosey, but what is she like at 5:30 am after staying up all night. I stay up to 2-3 every night, I totally could not function every day if I did not sleep in till at least 9 or 10 am. If I did wake up at 5:30 I could not stay up till 2-3. when does she sleep? I got into the habit when I was an active band member, and gigs did not end till after midnight. now I often read or do what ever art project I am working on.

Can you tell her the TV is keeping you awake and that you need quiet?

Hello All:

We talked this morning and I believe this issue is now resolved! All the PCA's are in agreement with my TV policy.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    If I did wake up at 5:30 I could not stay up till 2-3. when does she sleep?
    Sometime after 2 AM.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Hello All:

We talked this morning and I believe this issue is now resolved! All the PCA's are in agreement with my TV policy.

Thanks for the replies!
    That's great. A little communication can go a long way. Your PCA may not have even realized it until you said something.