Thread: Kids books w/ disabled parents!

Kids books w/ disabled parents!

Recommendations are from SIA publications, a UK organization for SCI's Http://www.spinal.co.uk/help/default...?pid=45&step=2

'Boots for a Bridesmaid' and 'Are We There Yet?' 2 children's books by Verna Wilkins.

Both books present a positive image of family life and disability. 'Boots for a Bridesmaid' features Nicky, a young reluctant bridesmaid, who hates frills and flowers give her hay fever. She works with her wheelchair-user Mum to prepare for the big day. This book is for 6-8 year olds.

'Are We There Yet?' has a family being driven to a Leisure Park by their wheelchair-user dad. The title refers to the usual back seat questions aimed at the driver. This book is for 2-5 year olds.

Both of these books are available from Amazon.com

Note: Amazon has another book by the same author "Are we there yet, Daddy?" which has a Dad not in a wheelchair.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Hi Miss Betheny ,do you no any books for 9-14

Laure-Jane

Here is a resource. It includes all types of disabilities, so you would need to review to find those that include SCI or related conditions (such as polio):

Juvenile fiction including disabilities

Here are some additional books I found at Amazon (different age groups). Most are about a child with a disability instead of a child with a disabled parent. Some are out of print, but available used:

Rolling along with Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Friends at School

A Very Special Critter

Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability

Howie Helps Himself

Extraordinary People With Disabilities

Teens With Physical Disabilities: Real-Life Stories of Meeting the Challenges (Issues in Focus)

Athletes With Disabilities

Talking about Disability

The Disability Rights Movement

People With Disabilities

The Road Back : Living with a Physical Disability

The Storm

Susan Laughs

The Berenstain Bears and the Wheelchair Commando

My Buddy

Arnie and the New Kid

You'Ve Got a Friend

My Mommy's Special

Jonathan & Papa

Mama Zooms

Sammy Wakes His Dad

Wheelchair Track Events

Lets Talk About It: Extraordinary Friends

Here is a list at Amazon put together by a first grade teacher:
    Books about physical disabilities

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 01-20-04 at 10:47 PM.]

Not about spinal cord injury...but let me just say that Chris Crutcher's books are excellent, and "The Crazy Horse Electric Game" is one of the best. I saw it on the list in the first link.

And another book about SCI, but this time from the perspective of the newly injured quad's twin brother...it's out of print I think, but there are a lot of them in the Amazon marketplace. Head Over Wheels by Lee Kingman. I read it a while ago, and I thought it was well written, even if just a little bit dated because of the original publication date. But not much.

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

[This message was edited by PB72181 on 01-21-04 at 12:31 PM.]

Joni Eareckson Tada has written some good books too. We wore out a couple several years ago. Sorry, can't remember the titles.