Page 52 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a Supra Public (SP) catheter and can't clamp it off for more than 5-10 minutes (small bladder) I am instilling the Vetericyn VF (VVF) every evening as a maintenance treatment and on that routine, I do remain clear. The automonic symptom of chills only happens a couple times a week and goes away at the very longest in 1-1/2 hours, urine is clear, but I have to put up with a period of discomfort. Actually, I was wondering if you can over treat with VVF and cause the bladder to be sensitive. If you have any thoughts about a treatment regimen in light of the SP, I'd appreciate it.

All the best,
    GJ

I also use vetericyn vf via my sp tube.When I first used it I did notice short periods of mild AD.However, now I am to instill without any AD.

This is the first time in 20 years of using a sp tube that I feel I am in control of bladder infections.This stuff is wonderful and it has eliminated my fear of skin/bladder infections.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have a Supra Public (SP) catheter and can't clamp it off for more than 5-10 minutes (small bladder) I am instilling the Vetericyn VF (VVF) every evening as a maintenance treatment and on that routine, I do remain clear. The automonic symptom of chills only happens a couple times a week and goes away at the very longest in 1-1/2 hours, urine is clear, but I have to put up with a period of discomfort. Actually, I was wondering if you can over treat with VVF and cause the bladder to be sensitive. If you have any thoughts about a treatment regimen in light of the SP, I'd appreciate it.

All the best,
    GJ
    I, like a number of people only instill once or twice a week when just doing maintenance. My advice would be go to once a week, and if you see the urine getting cloudy, try every 4 days and keep making adjustments until you find out what works best for you.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hi gjnl,

I also have an SP and was having the AD symptoms when I instilled the VVF at night. But when I do it in the mornings I can leave it in for 15-20 minutes with no symptoms. I think it's because in the morning my kidneys aren't sending urine to my bladder as quickly as they do in the evenings because I haven't had anything to drink for eight or more hours. Try doing it in the morning and see if that doesn't help.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

flushing with Vetericyn

OK, i attempted a flush this morning with Vetericyn and failed miserably.
    Thought i had it figured out by reading posts. Got the 60cc syringe, put some vetericyn gel on the end of syringe, inserted it, this is where it got tricky,
    i was trying to keep it there, spray (liquid vetericyn) in syringe, 20 cc's or so, and then put the plunger in (which ended up having a ton of air, but i thought that would probably be a good thing, i maybe got 2 cc''s or less where it was supposed to go, all else was wasted. can a girl write me personally and tell me the best way to do this. I just went off macrobid, so have no time to waste.
    Thanks

vetericyn flush

i wrote at the end of the posts, but came back to the front to ask again,
    i have been putting the vetericyn on end of catheter, putting a glob on genitals, and cathing, BUT... i tried to flush this morning with 60cc syringe, just putting syringe in, then putting 20 cc or so in syringe, then there was a bunch of air because the syringe was so big, and i was not able to get even 2 cc where it was supposed to go. i use the little, 3 or so in catheters, but need to find another way to get 20 cc's in for a flush/not just keeping the outside clean. Can one of you gals write me and let me know. I just went off Macrobid last night, so i have no time to spare.

Fill your syringe with the amunt of Vetericyn that you want to flush with. Insert a catheter into the bladder, then put syringe into the end of the catheter and push the Vetericyn out of the syringe into the catheter. This should get all of the liquid into your bladder.

On another thread, Madmadmother posted: (re: Microcyn)
    great wound healer, my son was down for several months for a wound that developed while he was in the hospital (go figure) discharged with orders for home health to keep an eye on it and change dressings (and to make sure I was doing it correctly) when I would grab the Vetericyn to clean and wet a sterile 2x2 they (several nurses) all said they couldn't watch because the doctor hadn't given orders to use a product made for animals....but the good news is the entire agency is using it now that medcare pays for Microcyn and they saw how quickly it healed. I have used it on chickens,horses, goats and grandkids! I use 30cc's 2x a week and no gunk or crystals when sp is changed, in fact his sp has had to be changed every 3 weeks for the last year and the nurse said it has looked so good we are gonna see how long beyond that time frame we can go...

What do any of you know about Medicare covering Microcyn? I would assume that they don't cover it for the purpose of bladder infections, but for wounds, how much do the cover in a month and what is necessary to get it covered?

All the best,
    GJ

don't put gel on the syringe tip that probably plugged it up.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Is it necessary to use a STERILE syringe every time you instill Vetericyn/Microcyn (V/M)into the bladder? If V/M has an the incredible effect on the broad range of bladder bacteria that it seems to have, isn't it okay to use "clean" syringes to instill/flush the bladder with V/M? It would seem that any bacteria in the syringe would be dealt with by the V/M. Isn't it okay to reuse syringes if you either wash them in antibacterial soap or alcohol and let them air dry between paper towels and store them away until the next use?

GJ