Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Quote Originally Posted by new.name View Post
    Contact Lens disinfecting solutions - can they be used in place of microcyn to disinfect the catheter (by dipping in it)every time before self-catheterization, around 7 times a day, and also as urethral spray before cathing? Microcyn worked for me, but is not available here anymore, and i was unable to tolerate vetericyn.
    No, contact lens disinfecting solutions cannot be used in place of Microcyn, HydroCleanse, or MicrocynAH. Contact lens disinfecting solutions are generally hydrogen peroxide, a detergent or surfactant, and sometimes a very mild abrasive. Oculus Innovative Sciences products are "generated through a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater. A pH neutral solution of hypochlorous acid, and its sodium salt, hypochlorite, is generated. The hypochlorous acid in Microcyn, similar to the natural hypochlorous acid produced by the human body, preserves the Microcyn solution."

Microcyn products are still available in India. You may need to search for another supplier or source to purchase these products. Check this link: http://oculusis.com/worldwide/wound-india/

All the best,
    GJ

Thank you gjnl. Will check it out.

I have a doubt in your reply. Are you saying that hydrogen peroxide is a surfactant and abrasive?? or, surfactants ,mild abrasives and hydrogen peroxide form lens disinfectants ? Kindly clear my doubt.
    Thank you!

Thank you gjnl. Will check it out.

I have a doubt in your reply. Are you saying that hydrogen peroxide is a surfactant and abrasive?? or, surfactants ,mild abrasives and hydrogen peroxide form lens disinfectants ? Kindly clear my doubt.
    Thank you!
    I wrote: "Contact lens disinfecting solutions are generally hydrogen peroxide, a detergent or surfactant, and sometimes a very mild abrasive." This construction is known as a series of items divided by commas. To clarify, it could also be written: "Contact lens disinfecting solutions are generally (1.) hydrogen peroxide, (2.) a detergent or surfactant, and (3.) sometimes a very mild abrasive." Hope that helps.

All the best,
    GJ

Thank you GJ!

While I would NOT recommend using lens disinfectant, it does seem like there are worse alternatives - at least the contact lens stuff is OK for contact with other delicate bits of human anatomy... It also probably doesn't have anything in it that would damage the catheter.

However I would NOT think that any sort of cleaner / disinfectant solution should be used by dipping the catheter in a bottle of it - instead pour out a small amount (possibly on a sterile cloth?) and apply it to the catheter and discarding any leftovers. NEVER let the unused supply get contaminated by putting a catheter in it, or pouring any back into the bottle... The amount of 'sanitizing power' in any solution is limited, and letting the supply get contaminated will mean that it will work less well in later use.

Also, it is worth noting that at least in the US, catheters are generally considered SINGLE USE items - which should be thrown out after use, not cleaned and reused. However I notice the person asking is from India, so the standards there may be different....

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

Is there anyone here other than Bob Clark, who uses hydrogen peroxide solution to prevent UTIs ??

Blog Entries
    Is there anyone here other than Bob Clark, who uses hydrogen peroxide solution to prevent UTIs ??
    Yes, I do, as it is now pretty much a toss up whether the microcyn I get will be good or not. It's about 50% for me. Then when you use it, it is either good or you get an infection within days. I can smell and tell whether it will be effective or not, and when I know it won't, try it anyway(yeah, pretty dumb) and wake up within 48 hours with a clogged up(I call snot-plugged) foley and urine everywhere. Thank God for waterproof mattress covers. So I just went back to flushing my bladder with peroxide. I use a 60cc syringe x2 at bath time. I drink a lot of ginger root tea, it prevents inflammation/therefore reduces pain(instead of water, personal choice) minimum of a gallon per day. Try to keep the urine in my bag sorta clear. Going to have to go get stones removed again sometime, been about 3 years since last time. WHEN I could get vetricyn or now microcynAH delivered in working condition, I was infection free. totally! Peroxide is hard on silicone coated foleys, causes 'air bubbles in the tip where it is inside the bladder. Which in turn, is hard on the bladder wall. What can ya do>shrugs<. My body sheds minerals like calcium in quantities that would make a gold miner rich. I know calcium in particular because when I drink soy(non-gmo of course), almond, coconut milk, it comes out like sand in my legbag. I stopped cow milk about 18 years ago. Nasty stuff, that's a lifestyle/diet/poison/whatever-ya-wanna call it change. Another topic nobody listens to. ANYWAY, BobKat, turned me on to peroxide before we found out about vetricyn(in those days) and he had used it for IC for years effectively, with no side effects. He was a knowledgeable, patient man, helped everyone he could and I miss him. We flew flight sims together and talked online and on the phone for years. If you read his posts, you can trust them.

Thanks capnGimp! Saw your reply just now. I am planning to try hydrogen peroxide. I bought 3% food grade one without any stabilizers (it is expensive) and tried, but it wasn't effective. May be because, without stabilizers it decomposes quickly to water. But the 6% one with stabilizers available in pharmacies have a label saying, not for medical use. Also, it doesn't list the stabilizers used. So, i am trying to find a one which has few safe stabilizers in it and which can be used for medical purposes.

The 'Not for Medical Use' label is there as a legal escape for the pharmacy in case someone gets hurt trying to do medical stuff with it... I'm not saying it's 'safe' but remember that many of the folks on this thread use products labelled as 'Veterinary Use Only, not for use on humans' (and even the Human approved product says 'external use only')

I haven't done any research on it, but I'd be willing to bet that a bit of Googling and Wiki-fu would get you a list of the likely stabilizers and both how much is used, and the possible risks of exposure to them...

Considering that it has mostly gone out of fashion, but one of the MAJOR reasons people bought Hydrogen Peroxide was to clean surface wounds - and some folks still use it for that, which is a sort of medical application, it seems likely to me that the stabilizers aren't horribly nasty....

Again, not saying it's safe, but that it seems that doing some research may get you the information you need to decide how much attention to pay to that label...

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

Thanks ex-Gooserider!