Page 13 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    from my point of view, i think it's part of my desensitizing from science. especially when you hang out with biochemists where some just study all the different ways things can go wrong that lead to death. so eventually you just go "meh...." it is great to be inquisitive, which is why i bought some and will bring it to the lab. yay for being nerdy with fancy tools!
    Cool. Will you be able to determine if the solution contains the active ingredients in the concentrations listed on the label?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Cool. Will you be able to determine if the solution contains the active ingredients in the concentrations listed on the label?
    that i dont know. i'm not a chemist but we have a few chemists who work with my research advisor who always love a challenge. it isnt like CSI where they pop it in the hplc or the gc mass spec and 2 seconds later they have an answer lol (that always kills me. those machines have a run time of 5 min - 6 hours depending on the sample). i will let yall know. i can grow up some plates as well and do those zone of inhibitions to see the efficacy as well (that is simple and takes a few days) but i'll need permission.

fyi: zones of inhibitions is what we do in microbiology to see how well an antibiotic--or whatever substance you're trying to use--kills bacteria. when you send your urine to be tested, this is what the lab is doing.

first you gotta ID the strain by getting a pure culture (so first you put some urine on a minimal medium plate, grow it for 24 hrs, see individual colonies and then take one of those, transfer it into a broth, then transfer to another plate to grow. this just ensures you have separate colonies. and you may find more than one. gram staining usually is done to determine what bacteria it is), then u transfer that pure culture into another broth and spread it over a HUGE plate called a muller-hinton plate. then you inoculate, fancy word for adding stuff to, tiny disks. all antibiotics come in these disks from manufacturers, you place them on the plates (i do no more than 6/plate) and let it incubate again. with this substance i'd be using a blank disc and dipping it in. sterile technique is used!

so then you look at the plates and there may or may not be a clear area around the disk. if there is, then the agent has killed the bacteria. the larger the diameter, the better it is at killing bacteria. we use numbers like >10mm - resistant, 11 - 15mm- intermediate, <16mm-susceptible.

now i am gonna make a disclaimer. THIS IS NOT A CLINICAL TRIAL. this is just a nerdy girl, with tools who is curious. nothing more or less. i will be using it on myself as well and will log what i see, smell, feel. it'll take a few weeks but i will report back on what i have observed. who knows, i may even take pics.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

[QUOTE=crypticgimp;1204810
    now i am gonna make a disclaimer. THIS IS NOT A CLINICAL TRIAL. this is just a nerdy girl, with tools who is curious. nothing more or less. i will be using it on myself as well and will log what i see, smell, feel. it'll take a few weeks but i will report back on what i have observed. who knows, i may even take pics.[/QUOTE]

Nerdy people are my heroes and heroines. You have some knowledge that will be greatly appreciated around here. Go to it gal!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Leila, do you know if there is any difference in the concentration/potency of the various Microcyn products (OTC, Rx, and hydrogel) and Vetericyn? I do not recall seeing any information indicating that. Also, because it is supposedly a fungicide, do you know of anyone who has used it for that purpose? We have inquiries from CC members who have various kinds of fungal infections, e.g., scrotal, feet, toenail, vaginal, etc.? In fact, I have a recurrent infection between my nose and upper lip dating back to my mustache era and may give it a try. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

JGNI -- you wrote the post I was trying to write last night and couldn't. Thanks for your eloquent explanation -- hope you don't mind me adding my ditto to everything you said.

CG -- like 55 and the others, I'm lovin' me some nerdy girl right now. Having a fun gimp like you around is the best --- the fact that you're a fun gimp with access to cool science-y toys and brainy chemists is pure bonus time. I hope you do take pics -- I'd love to see everyone's favorite nerd girl in action!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Nerdy people are my heroes and heroines. You have some knowledge that will be greatly appreciated around here. Go to it gal!
    Seconded.

This is turning out to be a great thread, but it bugs me a bit that it is titled so. The initial post was directed at Dr. Wise but this continuing discussion isn't part of an open letter. Does it make sense to ask a mod to separate this thread out for us?

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Leila, do you know if there is any difference in the concentration/potency of the various Microcyn products (OTC, Rx, and hydrogel) and Vetericyn? I do not recall seeing any information indicating that. Also, because it is supposedly a fungicide, do you know of anyone who has used it for that purpose? We have inquiries from CC members who have various kinds of fungal infections, e.g., scrotal, feet, toenail, vaginal, etc.? In fact, I have a recurrent infection between my nose and upper lip dating back to my mustache era and may give it a try. lol
    if i recall correctly jenjen said she uses vetericyn cuz it was the same but cheaper. it's original use is topical so i dont see y not to trying it.

thanks everyone for the support, now to get permission from my advisor lol

Blog Entries
    http://oculusis.com/dialogue/?p=76#more-76

...."The antimicrobial agent in Microcyn Technology is hypochlorous acid (HOCl), is found naturally produced in animals and humans for protection against infectious agents, including bacteria, viruses, yeasts and some fungi. This small molecule is nontoxic to host cells at the concentrations used in Microcyn Technology and does not cause the development of allergic reactions with repeated use.

Antibiotics are molecules that either stop the growth of bacteria (bacteriostatic) or kill them (bactericidal). They are not effective against bacterial endospores. Antibiotics have no effect on viruses or most fungi. Some fungi and some bacteria naturally produce these molecules as a means of controlling competing bacteria for nutritional resources and giving the antibiotic producers an edge in the battle of “survival of the fittest.” For medical and other uses, the antibiotics are either isolated directly from the microbes or the molecules are synthetically produced and chemically modified to improve their function.".....

Read the rest of the link...

All this testing has already happened and the info is published, you just have to read it, it's in the links from the mfg.
    Guess you folks did NOT read it.

As far as adding a preservative, it is stated that the manufacturing process induces this stability. Now I know this is fuzzy, but it doesn't sound like an 'additive' in the general sense of the word.

Forgive me, but it just stuns me that as a group, who takes multitudes of harmful drugs regularly, with little to no benefit, this is treated with skepticism and disbelief, lol. Never one to jump on the bandwagon, in this instance, I'm already playing my instrument with the band.

Chemistry...
    http://oculusis.com/dialogue/?p=9#more-9

"The Microcyn™ Platform Technology generates stable, highly efficacious pH-neutral products based on the science of hypochlorous acid (HOCl). This chemical is a highly efficient, but under most conditions, an unstable antimicrobial agent that is generated by human cells as a defensive agent.

Occasionally, through a lack of understanding of chlorine chemistry, the Microcyn Technology is erroneously described as dilute bleach. Bleach is an alkaline solution (pH>11) of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) which is the sodium salt of hypochlorous acid (HOCl), the active ingredient in the Microcyn Technology. These two chemicals exist in a pH-driven equilibrium. At pH 7.4, there are equal amounts of both chemicals in solution while at the alkaline pH of bleach the solution is greater than 99% sodium hypochlorite. The chemical properties of these two compounds, and thus Microcyn Technology and dilute bleach, are vastly different."
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 04-25-2010 at 01:33 PM.

yes i've read the site, but i still will do my "testing" cuz it'll be FUN. despite skepticism, i still havent read anyone say they wont try it.