Page 101 of 207 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2063

Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Tex View Post
    I started the Vetericyn VF flush 2 days ago. I'm doing it 3 times a day. How many days do you do the flush? I know antibiotics are for 10 days. Thanks in advance.
    Do you currently have an infection you are trying to deal with? How much Vetericyn are you using with each instillation?

On a prophylactic basis, I use 20cc Vetericyn and 10cc of saline to instill in the bladder once a day. I have done these instillations for 18 months. Frankly, I have never used Vetericyn to get rid of a bladder infection. I haven't needed to. I got a bladder infection the day after the supra pubic catheter was placed, took a course of antibiotics for it and have been infection free on the Vetericyn plan since.

There may be some posts about using Vetericyn to deal with an active infection. Try an advanced search of the site.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Do you currently have an infection you are trying to deal with? How much Vetericyn are you using with each instillation?

On a prophylactic basis, I use 20cc Vetericyn and 10cc of saline to instill in the bladder once a day. I have done these instillations for 18 months. Frankly, I have never used Vetericyn to get rid of a bladder infection. I haven't needed to. I got a bladder infection the day after the supra pubic catheter was placed, took a course of antibiotics for it and have been infection free on the Vetericyn plan since.

There may be some posts about using Vetericyn to deal with an active infection. Try an advanced search of the site.

All the best,
    GJ
    I felt infection free for a few months. Then I started using the V-gel as a cath lube (prophylactic) for a few weeks. Now I have a mild infection, so I began to do the flush as well. I use 60cc of V-VF followed by 180cc of steril water. Then let it sit in bladder for 5 minutes. (I cath sitting in chair). My pee is clear now, but I still feel crampy and have shrinking turtle dick.
    Tex
    C4,5,6 incomplete with 100% full feeling

One of the problems I've found with VVF is it doesn't clear up uti's but keeps bacteria out of urine making a C/S impossible. I've stopped flushes for two days and still no bacteria.

I felt infection free for a few months. Then I started using the V-gel as a cath lube (prophylactic) for a few weeks. Now I have a mild infection, so I began to do the flush as well. I use 60cc of V-VF followed by 180cc of steril water. Then let it sit in bladder for 5 minutes. (I cath sitting in chair). My pee is clear now, but I still feel crampy and have shrinking turtle dick.
    I dilute Vetericyn VF (VVF) with saline, 2 parts VVF to 1 part sterile saline, because I find VVF causes bladder spasms very soon after I instill it and I can't retain the VVF long enough to do much good. My guess is that 180cc of sterile water as an after flush is too much in a ratio to Vetericyn of 60cc you are using. I don't think you need to flush the bladder with sterile water after the Vetericyn. Instill your desired amount of Vetericyn, retain it for the amount of time you have determined, then cath to drain Vetericyn and accumulated urine. Try 60cc in the morning and 60cc at night. If you need to reduce the strength of Vetericyn, dilute it and instill the diluted mixture into the bladder. I have never used Vetericyn gel as a lubricant (I have a suprapubic catheter), but I have read posts about its use. Were you only using Vetericyn gel when you cath and not instilling Vetericyn on a daily basis?

If the infection gets worse, it is time to take a sample to the lab for a Urinalysis and Culture and Sensitivity. Once the urine is clear from using the appropriate antibotic, resume a prophylactic regime with Vetericyn.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Craig80 View Post
    One of the problems I've found with VVF is it doesn't clear up uti's but keeps bacteria out of urine making a C/S impossible. I've stopped flushes for two days and still no bacteria.
    What is a C/S ?
    Tex

culture and sensitivity. Really important, especially if you're dealing with resistant bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Were you only using Vetericyn gel when you cath and not instilling Vetericyn on a daily basis?

If the infection gets worse, it is time to take a sample to the lab for a Urinalysis and Culture and Sensitivity. Once the urine is clear from using the appropriate antibotic, resume a prophylactic regime with Vetericyn.

All the best,
    GJ

Yes for about 3 weeks. I just started V-flush 2 days ago.

I went to Dr. earlier this week. Test said UTI. Thats why I started flush. Pee looks better, but I don't feel better. How many days of flush does it take?
    Tex

You're experiencing a similar situation as mine. I tried two a day flushes over an hour each and had no improvement. It hasn't gotten to my kidneys so perhaps the VVF helped in that regard. I've stopped the flushes and waiting for nitrites to appear, or smell. This bug has resisted Bactrim, Cefuroxime, and Invanz, which the last two working great until this uti.

Yes for about 3 weeks. I just started V-flush 2 days ago.

I went to Dr. earlier this week. Test said UTI. Thats why I started flush. Pee looks better, but I don't feel better. How many days of flush does it take?
    I only remember one post about using the Vetericyn gel as a lubricant and not doing prophylactic instillations as well. That post was from a mother with a small child that needed to be cathed and the mother wasn't comfortable with Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF instillations. She used the Vetericyn gel as a lubricant and reported that the child was having fewer difficulties with urinary tract infections.

What kind of test did you have? I hope it was more than a dipstick test. Do you know the bacteria and its sensitivity to antibiotics? Did the doctor prescribe antibiotics?

Think about changing your approach as I mentioned in a previous post.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Sterile water is an irritant to the bladder, you need to switch to sterile saline.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury