Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Blog Entries
    Shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried leaving the plunger in and spraying it into the tip of the syringe? I just put the two tight together and use the stream selection.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

My wife found a flip-top that would fit the Puracyn/Vetericyn bottle. I just removed the spray attachment (a job) and put my flip-top cap on. I just pour out 20 ml into my 30 ml cup and draw it out with a 60 ml plunger type syringe. No problems at all and I am a C5-C6 quad.

I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

There seems to happen some change here in Germany. The pharmacy where I ordered my Dermacyn told me, it's not on the market any more. They will send me a follow-up product (forgot the name, and it is 23 instead of 17 Euros for the Dermacyn). But at the same time I found that the Vetericyn is finally available. Is there a difference between Vetericyn and Vetericyn VF? Most products say "gel": I guess I need to look for the liquid instead. Prices range between 39 Euros at an internet-pharmacy in Germany called "petmeds" and over 100 at amazon.de. I ordered 2 at "petmeds" and hope they will come tomorrow. Maybe then I should buy more in case they adjust their price to amazon. I don't understand why they differ so much, even if it is the same product.
    If I will use the Vetericyn instead of the Dermacyn, will I need less? Otherwise the costs would be hard to swallow...

Quote Originally Posted by Regine View Post
    There seems to happen some change here in Germany. The pharmacy where I ordered my Dermacyn told me, it's not on the market any more. They will send me a follow-up product (forgot the name, and it is 23 instead of 17 Euros for the Dermacyn). But at the same time I found that the Vetericyn is finally available. Is there a difference between Vetericyn and Vetericyn VF? Most products say "gel": I guess I need to look for the liquid instead. Prices range between 39 Euros at an internet-pharmacy in Germany called "petmeds" and over 100 at amazon.de. I ordered 2 at "petmeds" and hope they will come tomorrow. Maybe then I should buy more in case they adjust their price to amazon. I don't understand why they differ so much, even if it is the same product.
    If I will use the Vetericyn instead of the Dermacyn, will I need less? Otherwise the costs would be hard to swallow...
    Name:  Vetericyn Table.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  27.3 KBName:  Vetericyn Table.jpg
Size:  27.3 KBName:  Vetericyn Table.jpg
Size:  27.3 KB

Difference between Vetericyn VF and Vetericyn
    Vetericyn VF (Liquid Wound and Skin Care)
    .011% Hypochlorous Acid
    99.816% Water
    0.023% Sodium Chloride
    0.15% Sodium Phosphate

Vetericyn (Liquid Wound and Skin Care)
    0.003 Hypochlorous Acid
    99.97% Water
    0.023% Sodium Chloride
    0.004% Sodium Hypochlorite

If you are using Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF for bladder instillation, you will find that the liquid is easier to use than the hydrogel formulations. As for using less, keep in mind that you need to use a certain amount of liquid to cover the walls, nooks and folds in the bladder. You might be able to dilute Vetericyn VF with saline to get enough liquid into the bladder, but you will have to experiment with what level of dilution works for you.

You may want to contact:
    SastoMed, Germany
    +49540183630
    http://www.sanderstrothmann.de/

Oculus Innovative Sciences has partnered with this company in Germany. They may be able to tell you more about the availability status of Dermacyn. I did a little searching and I am seeing a product name show up that I have not seen before. It is called Microdacyn60. Maybe this product has replaced Dermacyn in Europe. Let us know what you uncover.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-29-2014 at 05:42 PM.

As I read this, the parcel service brought exactly that Mycrodacyn60 (as the follow up product of Dermacyn), same bottle, just 6 Euro more. Maybe I shop around a bit for other pharmacies, but I doubt to find it cheaper. The Vetericyn VF from "petsmeds" hasn't come yet. - Thanks for the info, it's helpful.
    - No, just found the Microdacyn60 in another pharmacy actually cheaper than the Dermacyn before. They offer 990 ml for 28 Euros. That sounds reasonable. Just have to switch pharmacies, and then occasionally add the Vetericyn VF when there are more bacteria. Hope it will come soon.
    Last edited by Regine; 04-30-2014 at 09:29 AM.

A personal update. 9 weeks without antibiotics, urine analysis yesterday was clean. Sticking mostly with spraying the meatus and catheter, with an occasional instillation of 10 or 20 cc. Very happy that my infection did not show up on this analysis.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Hey everyone :-)

so it's been over a year since I posted on here. The reason is............................I HAVE NOT HAD ONE INFECTION AT ALL SINCE I HAD MY SUPRAPUBIC CATH REMOVED, STARTED STRAIGHT CATHING AGAIN, AND USING VETERICYN !!!!!!!!!.

i am over the moon on the change in my system since the start of using the product :-) when I first started with it, I was flushing my bladder every couple days. Once I started having perfect C and S tests come back I actually switched my routine. What I do now is I will use a wet ones antibacterial wipe to clean the area first cath of the day, spray a silicone catheter with the vf instead of using lube, then alternate the next catheter to a prelubed either lofric or speedicath, and I alternate this way through out the day. I have only flushed my bladder once in the last six months, but other than that one time, I've just been spraying every other catheter. It's so amazing because I was having infections every couple weeks to a month, had gone septic I don't know how many times landing me in the hospital, then I had a staph infection that lasted 1 1/2 yrs around my SP, which was the reason it had to be removed, also the hole would not heal when it was removed causing me to have part of my bladder removed as well as part of my abdomen, which was a major surgery. Now my urologist and infectious disease drs are probably wondering where Idisappeared to because they have not seen me in so long :-) I am so excited to be giving this update to you all, because to me, after fighting constant infections, it has been truly incredible and I've actually been able to get a bit of my immune system back working since it's not working overtime constantly, considering I already also have hashimotos and Graves' disease, which already compromise my immunity.

so yay, I can honestly say, this treatment has truly changed my life xoxo

Bobbie :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Good News and Congratulations!

Oculus Innovative Sciences is putting together a trail that would have participants spray into the urethra and spray the lubed catheter each time they cath. Hope they have the kind of success that you report.

All the best,
    GJ

I think they may have contacted my urologist about the trial, as they emailed me asking if they could have his name and I gave them the info, so maybe he will be a part of it :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Vetericyn - South Africa

Hi,

Does anyone here know where to source this in South Africa?

Thanks.