Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Quote Originally Posted by Kat0465 View Post
    Yes, they did a c and s told me it would take a week to come back, in the mean time he put me on suprax
    Then I call Thursday to see what the culture showed. She tells me it takes 2 weeks!! I haveva feeling my culture was not sent off until the next week. I'm really upset with this uro, as he's giving me no hope for much. Now it's a holiday, he won't be in office this week at all, and I'm stuck. So praying the vetracyin and the few abx I have left will hold out till I get some freakin answers.
    Thanks for your help.
    Kathy
    It should take only 3-5 days to get a result from a culture and sensitivity if the specimen is sent immediately for analysis. If your urologist is holding on to a urine specimen before it is sent to a laboratory, you have got to question how the specimen has been handled before it got to a lab for testing. Was the specimen under refrigeration the entire time, at room temperature, what??? It sounds to me that you were put on a broad spectrum antibiotic, but not necessarily the most effective antibiotic and you may be experiencing a break through infection.

I urge you to be proactive about your urinary tract infections. Request copies of the results of the culture and sensitivity tests, keep a log of the type of bacteria that have caused urinary tract infections and the most effective antibiotics and the results you have experienced on each antibiotic per infection. In this way, you will have information to question the kinds of treatment that are prescribed.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree with GJ, I have never had a CS take over 3 days and I myself immediately wondered how accurate the results would be, waiting so long to culture. Is there any way you can see a different uro ? It just sounds like this one is not really on top of things.
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

I called his nurse last night, she said it had been refrigerated before being sent off. And it's not unusual for 2 weeks. I disagree. She Said if it dosent culture anything it comes back sooner. So mine must be growing some bad stuff.
    She is supposed to call tomorrow if it ones in. The sad thing is not many good urns around here :/

In the 4 1/2 years since my SCI, I have never had a CS take a week, much less two. I think if its going to grow, it will do it in the regular amount of time a CS normally takes, and I would not think 2 weeks is going to make it grow anything else that would not have grown in the first 3 to 5 days. Plus if you have an infection, waiting 2 weeks could possibly put you at risk of damage to your system, by not being treated properly as soon as possible. If they give you an AB that is not very effective, it could either make the infection harder to treat and you could become resistant to that AB, if the culture eventually comes back only to find that one does not work on that particular infection. That's one of the biggest dangers for us SCI patients, is running out go AB's that work for us. I know this from experience, as I am resistant or allergic to all but 3 pill form ab's. so my usual treatments for infection usually end up being treated by IV.

Here is another thought, is there a good infectious disease doc in your area? That is usually who I go see when infection comes on. My uro agrees with me going there first because he knows that my infectious disease dr knows more about infection then he does :-) it might be something to look into fr when you need treatment for infection, and because that's all they do, they would probably get your culture done much quicker. Hope this helps :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

We agree week at most for cs. We have a hard time getting homehealth nurses to treat samples with the care that they should.
    Try to give them ice and most time don't want it. Always worried if sample gets compromized?
    We sometimes consider taking sample to doctor office so we know it will be taken care of.
    Wanted to ask for some thoughts on possible cause of yeast infection. Maym has not been on antibiotics for 4 months cause that vvf/ns has been doing its job. We use 15vvf/15ns at night and that keeps urine clean. Maym has suprapubic for about nine years so bladder must be real small. When we push vvf/ns nightly she most always overflows out natural path due to a very weak meatus,hope i spelled that right, at about 15cc than we push the rest. Hold treatment last about 5 minutes.
    We now have this yeast infection and trying to figure out why? Do any of you think that the overflow into vagina is killing normal flora in vagina? Started last night we cut back to 15cc of mix in am and 15cc in p.m. So we don't get overflow. So far so good.
    Diflucan three days helped but rash heating back up so we took another diflucan today. Maybe since we are preventing overflow we can turn it around. Going to doctor tomorrow for regular checkup so we will talk to him about it also. Most of time all of you make more sense than these doctors. Anyway we trust your opinions and would like you thought. Thanks maym husband

Does anyone know where i can purchase Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection treatment and NOT the Wound and Skin care? Is this a label change or something?

petstruly.com , hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by rukiddingme View Post
    Does anyone know where i can purchase Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection treatment and NOT the Wound and Skin care? Is this a label change or something?
    I have bottles from newer shipments of Vetericyn VF that are labeled "Wound & Skin Care." Older, empty bottles that I have saved are labeled "Wound and Infection Treatment." The key is checking the ingredients and concentration of ingredients listed on the labels. Both bottles list exactly the same ingredients and and concentration of ingredients.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I have bottles from newer shipments of Vetericyn VF that are labeled "Wound & Skin Care." Older, empty bottles that I have saved are labeled "Wound and Infection Treatment." The key is checking the ingredients and concentration of ingredients listed on the labels. Both bottles list exactly the same ingredients and and concentration of ingredients.

All the best,
    GJ

This helps a great deal... I fiqured it was just a label change as I get my VVF from Petstruly as well. The last time I used it, it just didn't seem as potent. Thanks GL!

Quote Originally Posted by maym View Post
    We agree week at most for cs. We have a hard time getting homehealth nurses to treat samples with the care that they should.
    Try to give them ice and most time don't want it. Always worried if sample gets compromized?
    We sometimes consider taking sample to doctor office so we know it will be taken care of.
    Wanted to ask for some thoughts on possible cause of yeast infection. Maym has not been on antibiotics for 4 months cause that vvf/ns has been doing its job. We use 15vvf/15ns at night and that keeps urine clean. Maym has suprapubic for about nine years so bladder must be real small. When we push vvf/ns nightly she most always overflows out natural path due to a very weak meatus,hope i spelled that right, at about 15cc than we push the rest. Hold treatment last about 5 minutes.
    We now have this yeast infection and trying to figure out why? Do any of you think that the overflow into vagina is killing normal flora in vagina? Started last night we cut back to 15cc of mix in am and 15cc in p.m. So we don't get overflow. So far so good.
    Diflucan three days helped but rash heating back up so we took another diflucan today. Maybe since we are preventing overflow we can turn it around. Going to doctor tomorrow for regular checkup so we will talk to him about it also. Most of time all of you make more sense than these doctors. Anyway we trust your opinions and would like you thought. Thanks maym husband
    While I have no experience with this and cannot speak from any strength, in theory (reading literature about Microcyn technology), Vetericyn (regular or VF) should work to cure a yeast infection, if applied to the affected areas.

All the best,
    GJ