Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

i thought or am thinking about 'flushing' with vet or microcyn but the posts on how to, how long etc are so confusing when taken s a whole. i'm gonna hold off. Plus the results are 'all over the spectrum'.

i'd like a how to guide for the beginner.

everybody is different so maybe that's the reason.

for now i'll just increase ic and fluids and vitamins. AND consult a dr for ua and culture when it gets too bad.

Among clean intermittent cath, foley and suprapubic cath., which gives the least number of UTIs?

Will the saline which is used to dilute MICROCYN, not cause kidney stones, since it has sodium in it ??

thanks.

I can't speak to any of your questions with certainty or with scientific basis. My guess is that intermittent catheterization is considered the best management technique over all for people with a spinal cord injury, until its not. That is until anticholinergic medications and Botox don't help with spasms and leakage between catheterization, catheterizations become so frequent they have the potential to cause urinary tract damage and disrupt your quality of life, and you begin to get frequent and recurring urinary tract infections.

All of the above forced me to make a decision about alternative options for bladder management. After consulting with my primary care physician, my urologist, a neurourologist and infectious disease doctor, I concluded I should try the suprapubic catheter. Other options were offered (mitrofanoff, ileovesicostomy, bladder augmentation). All are very big surgeries with a lot of recovery time. I have had the suprapubic for just about 4 years and I only wish I had done it sooner. I have had a lot fewer urinary tract infections with the suprapubic than with any other method of bladder management (I have used Vetericyn since having the suprapubic placed) and a better quality of life (sleep through the night, don't have to manage the timing of when and how much I drink, don't have to interrupt my day (and my wife's) with intermittent catheterization).

As for the saline. At most you are using 10cc of saline, retaining it for 5-20 minutes (unless you retain until your next intermittent cath like some do) and draining it out. Compared to other potential causes for bladder stones, this small amount of saline would seem to me to be pretty benign. No matter what method of I have used from reflex voiding to today, I haven't had sediment or stones. Lucky, probably, physically, chemically, genetically not prone to making stone, probably.

All the best,
    GJ

Saline will not stay in your bladder or evaporate in it, so you don't have to worry about stones. Plus sodium is not the usual culprit, so again no worries.

Generally speaking IC is considered the bladder management that is best for most people. That being said, everyone is different and so you need to look at all of your options. Over your lifetime, you may need to revisit this decision and look at alternatives.
    CKF

Thanks a lot gjnl, sci nurse .

Have been trying Microcyn since this january, with and without dilution. Either way, it creates a lot of bowel gas. Also, not finding it very useful. Maybe, i should instill everyday. I have been trying 60 ml once in 5 days. Planning 30 ml. without dilution everyday. Yesterday and today, instilled 30 ml. But the bowel gas thing puts me off. But, have no other way , to escape from the UTIs. Vit C helps a lot, but damages the teeth, also worsens the joint pain. I already have a mild form of rheumatoid arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by new.name View Post
    Thanks a lot gjnl, sci nurse .

Have been trying Microcyn since this january, with and without dilution. Either way, it creates a lot of bowel gas. Also, not finding it very useful. Maybe, i should instill everyday. I have been trying 60 ml once in 5 days. Planning 30 ml. without dilution everyday. Yesterday and today, instilled 30 ml. But the bowel gas thing puts me off. But, have no other way , to escape from the UTIs. Vit C helps a lot, but damages the teeth, also worsens the joint pain. I already have a mild form of rheumatoid arthritis.
    Once every 5 days probably wouldn't be very effective, and is likely just a waste of Microcyn. You could try 30cc every other day to see if that minimizes gas or you might try 20cc Microcyn diluted with 10cc saline everyday. How long are you retaining Microcyn? Two to five minutes should be effective. How do you manage your bladder?

All the best,
    GJ

Initially i retained the microcyn for around 2 hrs. But for the past 10 intillations, i have been retaining only for 20 mts. I self catheterize around 8 times a day, and don't catheterize at night for around 7 hrs. Surplus water helps in preventing UTIs. Too much intake (more than 2.5 litres) causes oedema. Eye lids gets swollen in the morning and feet gets swollen in the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by new.name View Post
    Initially i retained the microcyn for around 2 hrs. But for the past 10 intillations, i have been retaining only for 20 mts. I self catheterize around 8 times a day, and don't catheterize at night for around 7 hrs. Surplus water helps in preventing UTIs. Too much intake (more than 2.5 litres) causes oedema. Eye lids gets swollen in the morning and feet gets swollen in the daytime.
    I think you can reduce your retention time and the amount you instill and instill every day or every other day and get results. This is something you will have to experiment with and adapt your use of Microcyn to suit your tolerances.

All the best,
    GJ

Hello New.Name,

I have been using the microcyn technology for around 4 years. (I began in August 2010.) The day that I use it and the day after, I have noticed more bladder sensation and much lower bladder pressure. I thought maybe this was a fluke but it appears that it is a (very good) side effect. Cathing eight times a day you have probably noticed it also. I have been testing the new product and sprayer head, I noted the two side effects to Oculus, Inc after I finished. People using a urethral foley or supra pubic catheter would not notice this.

Good luck and keep testing!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Hi, new to forum and thread.

Not a SCI patient, but have been self-catheterizing for over a year for chronic urine retention due to BPH. This is one of the few resources that seem to deal with the problems of self-catherization and UTi's, so I am very grateful to the community exploring this issue.

I have a few questions, hopefully they add a little to the discussion and don't repeat what has already been discussed.

(1) Many of you have stated that Microcyn has helped eradicate both "uti's" and "colonization" when used either as a prophylaxis, or even after the fact. In the case of colonization, are you defining colonization as an asymptomatic uti as measured with a positive urine culture? Or are you defining colonization as a positive leukocyte count via dipstick without a positive culture? If the former, did you go from a positive culture to a negative culture without antibiotics when using Microcyn?

(2) Has anyone tried either urethral or bladder irrigation using a solution of Povidone Iodine instead of Microcyn. Here is a link to an older study that looked promising. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2857910/ Currently, I use Providone Iodine swabs to clean the meatus prior to catherization, and after reading the study was thinking of using the readily available prep solution to at least irrigate the uretha.

(3) The thread seemed to start with urethral irrigation and then veered toward bladder irrigation. Going back to urethral irrigation with Microcyn, what means do the men use to get the Microcyn into the urethra only? I was thinking some sort of spray/squirt bottle with a narrow tip? I know some of you have recommended a shortened catheter with syrine, but if you insert the catheter more than a few mm's, wouldn't that bypass the distal part of the urethra where much of the bacteria likes to hang out?

(4) Some of the early posts recommended a website to purchase Microcyn, but when I went there all that was being offered is Puracyn. Is Microcyn and Puracyn identical? What about Vetericyn? If not identical, does anyone have a resource to purchase Microcyn?

(5) I have read excursively positive (or neutral) posts regarding the use of Microcyn. Did anyone have any negative experiences that I might have missed?

(6) Does anyone know of any urologists currently using Microcyn with their self-cath patients? If so, please PM or email me the names, unless you are allowed to post them here.

Thanks for any help.

Jim