Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Something that I have noticed whenever I instill the Vetericyn (not the VF) for about 5-10 min. is that it really irritates my bladder causing pain and cramping, same thing happens when I irrigate/wash my bladder. Is this normal?
    C4 incomplete since 1985

You may want to add some saline to the Vetricyn to dilute it. Also, leave it in your bladder for less time. You can gradually increase the strength of the Vetricyn and the time you leave it in.

you may want to use 50%saline/50%Vetricyn to start and only leave it in your bladder for 5minutes.

This does not seem to be uncommon, although some people don't have this problem, while others do.

ckf

Is it possible to damage your bladder after Botox surgery Using this? I had it done two weeks ago. All I know is it's a sharp burning cramp. I'm not going to do anything until all this settles down
    Last edited by crppled007; 04-21-2014 at 02:31 AM.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Perhaps the solution isn't at body temperature 98.6*F. Just a thought.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

It was at room temperature. I'm hoping it will settle down in
    a few days
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Perhaps the solution isn't at body temperature 98.6*F. Just a thought.
    Bob, I think you're dead on with your suggestion. The only time I have felt anything different was when I used VVF during the winter. I usually inject mine fairly quickly for better coverage and sometimes I get a little sting which goes away in 1 to 2 seconds. When the temperature moderates, I feel nothing at all.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    "Some of the early posts recommended a website to purchase Microcyn, but when I went there all that was being offered is Puracyn. Is Microcyn and Puracyn identical? What about Vetericyn? If not identical, does anyone have a resource to purchase Microcyn? "

Jim, if you'd like, I would be glad to send you a PDF file I received from Oculus, Inc. that I could not post here as it is large. Regarding the uti's and cultures, I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures. By the way, Oculus, Inc. does not state it is approved for internal use so the SCI's do not comment on it's use in the bladder... We use it off-label. This is the reason the SCI's don't comment on it.

Good luck Jim.

""I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures."" HI Jim When you have your cultures how do you time then in regards to your V schedule?
    I instill in the morning should I skip the instillation when I am going to give a sample?

Thanks Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Hope1111 View Post
    ""I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures."" HI Jim When you have your cultures how do you time then in regards to your V schedule?
    I instill in the morning should I skip the instillation when I am going to give a sample?

Thanks Diane
    Not Jim, but I will respond my experience.

I instill Vetericyn at night and retain for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but I wouldn't use a specimen of urine that contained Vetericyn for a culture & sensitivity (C&S).

All the best,
    GJ

GJ, I tried it the day of my C & S and the results still had cultures. For me, it doesn't seem to matter as VVF is not an antibiotic. You can form you own opinions.

Good luck.

Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    GJ, I tried it the day of my C & S and the results still had cultures. For me, it doesn't seem to matter as VVF is not an antibiotic. You can form you own opinions.

Good luck.

Millard, I agree. I don't think taking a urine specimen for a C&S, the same day you have instilled Vetericyn would be a problem. But, for me personally, I would prefer to take a specimen to the lab for a C&S that is 100% urine rather than one that contains some percentage of Vetericyn.
    Just for example.
    Intermittent Catheterization:

• Instill Vetericyn at 8:00 AM
    • Drain accumulated urine and Vetericyn at 8:15 AM
    • Wait until I need to cath again, say at noon
    • Take that specimen to the lab for a C&S

Suprapubic Cathter
    • Instill Vetericyn at 8:00 AM
    • Drain accumulated urine and Vetericyn at 8:15 AM
    • Wait for the next flow of urine after the bladder drained
    • Take that specimen to the lab for C&S

But, given these hypothetical examples, why not collect a specimen at 8:00 AM, then instill and retain Vetericyn.

All the best,
    GJ