Thread: Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I think most of us use Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF.

The formulations are the same, all based on the Microcyn Technology Platform by Oculus Innovative Sciences. Among those of us who use this product, I believe there is little hesitation to use Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF in humans.

I can't address your questions about techniques for female urinary tracts or the Mitrofanoff.

I see no problem with using gauze (sterile or not) moistened with Vetericyn to clean the skin outside the urethra. Most of us reuse the syringes (don't use a sterile one with each instillation) we use to instill Vetericyn. The Vetericyn will deal with the bacteria in the non sterile supplies and materials we use.

I have read of the technique of dipping hydrophilic catheters into Vetericyn to moisten them and activate the lubricant. I have also read of the technique of using Vetericyn gel to lubricate non hydrophilic catheters. Information about both techniques indicate either works well.

Will you be taking antibiotics concurrently with using Vetericyn? When you have a particularly stubborn infection, many of us have taken the antibiotic and about mid way through the course started Vetericyn. In this case, I recall reading that many users start with 60cc instilled in the bladder once or twice a day and retained for 20-30 minutes. However there is also a case to be made that one needs to start instilling a small amount of Vetericyn (20cc) and retaining it for 5 minutes and working up to larger amounts and longer retention. Be aware that some users have reported some bowel disturbance and have found that starting out small and building tolerance has been beneficial.

Good luck,
    All the best,
    GJ
    Thanks for the ingredient information, GJ. It sure looks like they are basically the same except perhaps the exact amounts of each ingredient. I thought the syringes weren’t sterile so I figured the gauze might also be ok. I’m hoping that the gel will work well on the catheters. Using the hydrophilic ones with the liquid seems like a great idea, but I’ve never had any of those before.

I am currently on Ampicillin, but I’m not sure if I will be until I receive the Vetericyn. It will depend on how fast they ship it. I’ve read so many of the different ways people have found that works for them, but I guess I’m more of a “throw a bunch of Vetericyn at it right from the start” person after having had so many infections in a row. That’s why I am planning to flush my bladder, rinse the urethra and Mitrofanoff, clean the skin outside both, and use the gel when I intermittently drain my bladder. Hopefully as long as I’m careful with the amounts and times, I won’t have any side effects.

Thanks, we’ll see how my experiment goes! Melissa
    Life is a lesson you learn when you're through.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Be aware that some of us are sensitive to the VVF, and have had to tone down to the regular Vetericyn.
    Thanks, Donno. I’ll be sure to keep track of my response to it, and I’ll try to tone it down with sterile saline or scale back to the regular version if I can’t tolerate the VF.

Thanks! Melissa

I'm looking up Vetericyn VF to find a supplier right now. I had one more question. For those of you that use the gel, is it just called Vetericyn Hydrogel? And is it still in a white bottle, or is a blue bottle?

Thanks, Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melliska View Post
    I'm looking up Vetericyn VF to find a supplier right now. I had one more question. For those of you that use the gel, is it just called Vetericyn Hydrogel? And is it still in a white bottle, or is a blue bottle?

Thanks, Melissa
    Vetericyn® Wound & Infection HydroGel comes in a 4 oz pump spray bottle, an 8 oz pump spray bottle, and a 16 oz trigger spray bottle. All these are blue bottles, regular strength Vetericyn formula.

Vetericyn® VF Hydrogel Wound & Infection Care comes in the same size bottles and spray mechanisms. This is a white bottle, VF known as veterinarian formula (double strength), which, depending on the vendor may or may not be available to you without a veterinarian license.

Personally, I have had good luck at PetsTruly online. Brenda is great gal.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi Melissa,

To use the VVF as a periwash, I spray it directly on my body using the same approach to cleaning in prepartion for changing my indwelling urethral catheter -- one spray between the inner and outer labia on the left, repeat that on the right, and finally a spray between the inner labia, which also covers the perineum.

I buy my VVF from http://www.medi-vet.com/ Free shipping, orders arrive here in the USVI 4-5 days later [incredibly fast], and I've never received a leaking bottle.
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 02-15-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Right now Amazon has the 16 oz gel for $33 shipped.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#scoring=tp
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by melliska View Post
    Thanks for your reply and information, ex-Gooserider. I am kind of nervous about trying this since there are really no exact directions and it seems to work differently for every person, plus the Vetericyn is technically for animals so it is all kind of intimidating.
    I wouldn't worry overly much about the animal issue. While technically the standards for animal meds aren't as strict as the ones for humans, in practice people that own livestock (or super expensive race horses) aren't going to be happy if their animal meds cause problems - so in practice the manufacturers tend to keep the same standards across the board... I even know of folks that use a lot of animal meds in preference to the human versions just because of the cost savings - Doesn't seem to hurt them...

I’ll have to try just spraying it. We’re used to using benzalkonium chloride wipes before doing cares. I kind of figured that dunking the lubricated catheters in it wouldn’t work very well, but I was just trying to get around ordering both the liquid Vetericyn and the gel version for my experiment.
    My closed system kits come with both iodine swabs and BZK wipes. Normally I use the iodine swabs before, and the BZK wipe after I'm done in order to clean off the iodine... No real reason not to use the gauze wipes, just seems like spraying would be more efficient. I just pour from the bottles so I haven't really tried the sprayer to know how it works. (I wish they sold a version with just a plain bottle cap, seems like a waste to keep buying sprayer caps w/ every bottle...)

The Mitrofanoff is basically like a second urethra you intermittent cath through from a tiny little stoma hidden in your belly button. I haven’t been using it since my infection problems started after my surgery so I haven’t been healthy and haven’t wanted to try it until I get these UTI’s under control. I’ve heard from several people here that it really has helped them, so I’m excited to see how it will help me once I can utilize it. It is made of the appendix so I feel like there are probably all kinds of bacteria hiding in there. I am going to try to figure out a good way to flush it all out just in case.

Thanks for your help! Melissa
    OK, that doesn't sound like it would be a big problem to flush the passage, though you might need to experiment a bit to find the best technique. I wouldn't expect it to have any particularly significant bacteria issues relating to the surgery, as I would think that they clean it out really well as part of the process...

From that description it does sound like it would be a lot of help, I know that a couple of SCI ladies have told me that cathing is difficult just because of the anatomy (One was joking that her lessons in rehab were one of the few times she really felt affected by penis envy... ) Sounds like the Mitrofanoff makes access much easier if nothing else...

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

Blog Entries
    If you sign up for the monthly re-order for Verericyn through Amazon, it is quite a bit cheaper (15% off). I get 2 16 oz spray bottles of the regular V for $50 including shipping (with Amazon Prime).
    Last edited by Donno; 02-16-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added a parenthetic remark
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Vetericyn VF

I have a question for those of you who are familiar with Vetericyn VF. I live in Germany and use Dermacyn for bladder flushes. In addition I used Vetericyn VF when an infection went out of controll, thanks to recommandations from some of you. It was quite difficult to get it since in Germany only Dermacyn is available. I understood from you guys that Vetericyn VF has more strength than Dermacyn, plus it really did kick out all infections when Dermacyn didn't help anymore.
    Now I contacted the European representatives of Oculus to find out how I can purchase Vetericyn VF, and they answered that Vetericyn VF would be identical to Dermacyn.
    Is anyone familiar with all this??? I remember that one woman in this community is in touch with doctors from Oculus, but forgot her name. I would appreciate if she could help me to clarify this issue, because I am in need for the stronger formula. (It also helped me heal a pressure sore, by the way).
    Regine

Quote Originally Posted by Regine View Post
    I have a question for those of you who are familiar with Vetericyn VF. I live in Germany and use Dermacyn for bladder flushes. In addition I used Vetericyn VF when an infection went out of controll, thanks to recommandations from some of you. It was quite difficult to get it since in Germany only Dermacyn is available. I understood from you guys that Vetericyn VF has more strength than Dermacyn, plus it really did kick out all infections when Dermacyn didn't help anymore.
    Now I contacted the European representatives of Oculus to find out how I can purchase Vetericyn VF, and they answered that Vetericyn VF would be identical to Dermacyn.
    Is anyone familiar with all this??? I remember that one woman in this community is in touch with doctors from Oculus, but forgot her name. I would appreciate if she could help me to clarify this issue, because I am in need for the stronger formula. (It also helped me heal a pressure sore, by the way).
    Regine
    "Regine,"
    I am not able to answer your question, because I haven't found data that allows for an "apples to apples" comparison of Vetericyn VF and Dermacyn. Suzanne, who introduced Vetericyn to our community has not been here recently, but I have contacted her by private email and await an answer from her or she will come on and post the answer personally.

All the best,
    GJ