Thread: People with disabilities AND babies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

People with disabilities AND babies

From University of Washington-Rehabilitation Medicine, Northwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury System, Parenting, Nov. 6, 1996.

"Among the few benefits of her injury were painless labor and a quick delivery, but "since then it's been a constant learning process," Baker said. An early discovery was that most changing tables and cribs were not designed with disabled users in mind. Cribs tend to have foot controls for releasing the sides, and changing tables are too low to roll under. Baker and her husband finally found a more expensive crib that she could operate, and her husband built a changing table they both could use..."

This short article shares tips by paras and quads who are parents of infants and toddlers. It covers details like picking up and transporting the baby, which baby clothes are easiest to deal with.

For entire article,click here

Cool article...thanks for posting it.

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

Great article...I'm trying to make a strap to hold Violet on my lap right now.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Emi,

The folks at Craig made my wife a baby harness that really worked well. Pretty simple design. Hmmm... how to describe this? Front fabric piece kind of like the front half of a diaper, full webbing belt secured with velcro, one strap that went under the crotch (between baby's legs) which the waist belt passed through. Maybe the best analogy would be a jock strap (athletic supporter for men). It might require some help to get the baby secured. Our little guy just loved taking rides around on mom's lap with this on.

We secured this to my wife's belt with two short velcro straps.

As our son has outgrown this(he must walk everywhere now, and don't you dare hold his hand), we'd be happy to send it to you if you want. I forget how old your child is, so it might not be appropriate. Or, it might be useful or at least give you a design idea.

Espousal, Violet is 6 months old and I'd appreciate it if you could send it, or at least post a picture. Email me for my address at elaurie (at) telus (dot) net

~ Anon

Thanks for the Link Betheny, me and my wife are planning on starting a family here in the next year or two.

Emi, a lot of people I know just use a Snugli (there are different brands) like this:

Snugli

The baby can be put on your front facing you or away from you. Your partner can use it as a backpack too.

(KLD)

thanks SCI-Nurse the Snugli worked when she was little but I think she finds it too confineing now she fusses.

~ Anon

Originally posted by Emi:

thanks SCI-Nurse the Snugli worked when she was little but I think she finds it too confineing now she fusses.

~ Anon
    Same thing with my daughter.

I just used a long strip of material with velcro sewn on it. It was simple, quick, and effective. I tied it around me and her and my chair. Never had a problem with her falling.

Alive for 33 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 6 years