Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: question for everybody

question for everybody

so this is something that's been on my mind. its coming up on 8 years for me since my crash, and i've been thinking that breaking my neck has been the best thing to happen to me. and i was wondering if anybody else feels the same? and also the more i think about it i really could care less if i ever walked again. anyone else feel the same way? sure i miss being able to do certian things but i'm happy with my life, maybe its just me.

sometimes I think sci made me more aware of how people act, and seems like I matured a lot quicker just by having more in life to go thru, but don't think it's a great thing that happened to me
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Over 5 decades and probably dealing with 1000+ SCIs, I met one. It was in the late 1960s. He was an African-American in his late teens, living mostly on the streets, pedaling drugs or whatever to survive and became a para when he got a stray bullet in the back. When he got to rehab, everyone noticed he was always smiling. When he left, there was a lot of concern that reality was really going to hit him and he would start grieving and get seriously depressed without support. About two years later, Harry returned for a checkup, which was the practice in those days, and he was still smiling. I was the only one brave enough to ask him if he had ever been depressed about his sci. He looked at me kind of puzzled. I said, "Harry, when most people get paralyzed and cannot walk, become incontinent, and lose much of their normal life, they get depressed, you know, real sad." "Oh, that," he said. "I noticed some feeling that way when I was here." He went on to tell me his story of life on the streets and how he lived in constant fear and need.

When he got to the emergency room, there were people who seemed to actually care about him. He got put in a clean bed for the first time in ages, he had 3 descent meals a day, and he felt safe. "It was like I had come to heaven," he explained. When he got to our rehab unit, he became a voc rehab agency client. He never imagined he would have an opportunity to get some kind of training as had been offered. "No, I cannot walk, he said, "but now I am a real person." He had just completed training at the PA Voc Rehab Center and was about to start up a lawnmower repair business. While at the Center, he got into weight lifting and won a silver medal in the wheelchair Olympics [in Rome I think]. When I last heard, he had 6 people working for him and he had started an organization that was working with street kids. As Harry said, "paralyzed is better than still being on the streets or maybe dead." I believed him.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 04-03-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Maybe it was my age ... but I've 'settled'. I know I'm not going to walk or see any improvements from here on in. It's just about taking care of what I have.

But every day I wonder what my life would have turned out like if I hadn't been paralyzed at 12.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

considering I was on athletic scholarship for college I would not wish SCI on anyone. of course it doesn't help one bit that my damn last name is Walker. anyway I don't really miss walking all that much, it's the other stuff like rollerblading, surfing, my feet in the sand as I've always lived near the beach, etc.

totally bob. I was on a slow ride to jail or hell, I was a total alcoholic that smoked helluva lot of weed and did not think of the consequences of my life. I was estranged from my family and didn't care. Unless it was about snowboarding, dirtbiking, getting fucked up, making money or busting a nut I didn't care about it.. the friends I had weren't actual friends, just fellow drug/alcohol abusers. From day 1 in ICU I said this is the thing that saved my life. My first nurse is ICU was such a sweetheart, I never ever knew women like her existed. SCI has changed my entire perspective, I wouldn't go back to my old life even if I could.

I had a good life, now it sucks. Always in horrible pain.

I heartily disagree but am glad you are ok where you are.
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

I get frustrated with SCI sometimes, but I wouldn't have the wonderful life I have now if I hadn't been injured all those years ago. I am thankful for what I have because I know how much worse my injury could have been. I think being thankful for what I have is a large part of why I enjoy the majority of my life (or at least try to).

i've been thinking that breaking my neck has been the best thing to happen to me. and i was wondering if anybody else feels the same?

Despite the fact that I have had an extremely rewarding, satisfying life filled with happiness, I cannot say that it has been for the best. I was a pretty happy AB before my injury and had some challenging goals. The sci drove me to the depths of depression and on the verge of suicide for several wasted years of my life. People have argued that that gave me a new more meaningful purpose, essentially making what I am. They try to get me to rationalize by saying things like "if it was not for my injury, I could have ended up getting killed or something." True, but I might also have become president instead of GW. No, sci is not a good thing. If it was, I would not be supporting projects like Wise is involved in.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    I had a good life, now it sucks. Always in horrible pain.

I heartily disagree but am glad you are ok where you are.
    ditto

I still would've been a decent person and a lot more fun to hang with. That's not cutting myself short, that's just a fact.