Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New & inaccessible Citibank ATM machines

My bank said all I need to do is get a teller from inside to come out to the ATM machine and they'll help me get it out when I'm done.

Talk about service. But, yeah . . . it sucks that I even have to do that. Their point is that we have options.

I recall using the swiping card machines, and half the time they don't work because the detector has rubbed clean off. You just can't win.

I bank at Wachovia and their new drivethrough ATMs have become very accessible for the disabled--even for the blind. I noticed this weekend there is even a headphone jack now for the blind to use. I was rather impressed though I wonder how many blind people are driving these days.

And why do they put the ATM machines so much up on the wall that you can't read what is written?
    TH 12, 43 years post

Accessibility-wise, I'm thinking it'd be easier if they just started adding RFID chips in bank cards. My AMEX card has one. I can just wave the card in front of a reader... no swiping, nada.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Thankful for working fingers and all. But on a different similar complaint my grocery store just got all new payment thingys with the vertical swipe slot thingy and they mounted them all above my head.
    Exactly! I told the cashier last week that I couldn't see the screen to swipe my card so she turned it completely vertical. I started swiping my card and it hits the bottom edge of the mount BEFORE the card is completely swiped. I explained the situation to her, and she agreed what a stupid design it was, swiped my card, titled it back down so I could see, and I finished the transaction. Meanwhile the cute young mother behind me didn't appear very happy so I smiled and apologized for making her wait. She surprisingly said something like "It's not your fault that they bought poorly designed machines that EVERYONE can't use!"

I was at a new Walmart today and their machines were perfect. Unlike some I've been in.

I wonder what the vertically-challenged, dwarfs, midgets, or whatever the PC term is do? Climb up on the &#*@ing counter?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thankful for working fingers and all. But on a different similar complaint my grocery store just got all new payment thingys with the vertical swipe slot thingy and they mounted them all above my head.
    Half the time at stores, I can manage to swipe at the payment thingy, but can't read what is written on the screen, or even see where I am supposed to ve signing. Some of them are adjustable, but I broke one off the counter one day, not realizing it was NOT adjustable.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

These are not adjustable, although the ones at the Walmart are. I'm really not comfortable shouting my pin out to people either. Maybe I should break them off the counter too so they can buy new ones again.

Wheelieboy blind people can be passengers in the car....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Plus, the different manufacturers make their ATMs standard, so they don't change the buttons and stuff, remiving all brail stuff, for the drive-thru machines. That would be too costly. They simply put the mach]ine in a "box" that sets it at a good height for using from your car.

My Wal-Mart's cash register card thingies are high, but at least they can be angled down so I can see/reach. It would still be hard see/reach for a dwarf/little person. I prefer Target's as they're low and can be moved around on the counter or taken off a bit if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Half the time at stores, I can manage to swipe at the payment thingy, but can't read what is written on the screen, or even see where I am supposed to ve signing. Some of them are adjustable, but I broke one off the counter one day, not realizing it was NOT adjustable.
    I like that idea. From now on whenever we encounter a too high, inaccessible machine, let's just break it off. Then we can suggest they replace it with an accessible one.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Oh I know. I was only "funnin'..."