Thread: New to site questions and history about me

New to site questions and history about me

I was diagnosed with a syrinx c5to t11 in July 2009. I had an MRI of the brain(neg. for ACM),and cervical and thoraxic with and without contrast.(no tumors). My symptoms started in May 09 waking up with a stiff neck. I just thought I slept on it wrong. I am a hospice nurse so if I hurt myself pulling a patient up in bed I don't remember now and don't recall anything specific. I went out of town for 2 weeks in june and kept thinking I can't wait to get home to my own bed. I thought that was why I was having so much neck pain. In July I played kickball and slid into base colliding with someone. A few nights later I went to the ER at 3am in pain. They thought I had a herniated disc and found the syrinx. End of July I began having numbness in my arms and legs but thinking back I have had hand numbess at night for years(not sure if that was related). I started physical therapy in august and did that for 6 months. I also tried accupuncture and trigger point injections. I had an EMG on my lower arms and legs in JUly 09 and I am having one of my upper arms April 16th. My syrinx is 3.8mm at its widest point. I have so much pain that begins in my spine between my shoulder blades. If left untreated it goes up my neck and then my arms and legs ache really bad. I have been taking lyrica since July. I tried amitriptyline for 6 months but discontinued it for hypertention. Sorry this is getting so long. I just wanted to give you a history. I live in St.Louis, MO. I know My syrinx is too small for a shunt. I have not been told it is teathered and assume it is not or I would have been told that. Do you know what could be causing the CSF obstruction? I also have a bulging disc at c6/c7. I am not sure if that is related or not. And one other question if my pain is controlled and I continue to work as a nurse am I putting myself in greater danger of paralysis or progression of my syrinx because of it?

Welcome.
    I don't know anything about the syrinx, but I had a horribly bulging disk at the same location & could hardly lift my arms & was in horrible pain. Surgery repaired this wonderfully, but I still have a weak left arm. Good luck!
    Last edited by Coleen; 04-03-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: STupid spelling, again

i guess it will be hard for me to tell what the syrinx is causing and what the disc is causing.