View Poll Results: I believe that clinical trials are necessary for curing spinal cord injury:

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 92.86%
  • No

4 7.14%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Next decade offers promise for treatment of spinal cord injuries

When I was a kid I was here (noty bigga effort though), then went on icy North Sea rigs, then all over, then - when sci'ed thinking, -we have to help not only ourselfe, but more as I see it, ppl after us, thus putting in more efforts, I do. I know ppl with SCI I 100 percent truly want to help. and I will. If I myselfe will gain in clinical trials does not matter. I work for others, the few of us witouth a peep and other good ppl. Chin up. Full of fish west of here, quite normal in fact. Alaska North Western can go and hide.

Last edited by Leif; 04-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Paolo, Wise, DA, Schemecky, Corinne, Jim and Jane and Tarzan, we all have to man up. Man up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Scott,

I am not so sure. It is bad enough now when everything that scientists say is distorted by journalists and re-distorted by the biased lens of the audiences wanting to hear only certain things. If scientists were to "market" their science, this will lead to even more distrust and distortions of what scientists really think and do.

In my opinion, what we need more is honest and open communication with the community by scientists. Scientists should be giving the community their honest opinions and people should stop complaining when scientists don't tell them what they want to hear. If a scientist says that it is going to take years or even decades, that is what they think.

By the way, scientists don't have a crystal ball. They can be wrong. Many have no experience with clinical trials and don't know what it takes. They make mistakes. We should simply take what they say as their best guess.

Wise.
    any scientist that says decades should leave the field.

In 1995 Wise said cure 'could' be here in 7 years...

lol its like my friends asking me, "Its so close to the cure though right? You won't be like this forever. The cure is so close." I don't know what magazines they have been reading but I assured them I would let them know so they don't lose any sleep over it
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

What is very important in this article, in my opinion, is the fact that the new suggested approach does not focus only direct injury. The study team stressed the need of new therapeutic approaches including stem cell therapy and novel drug formulations targeting secondary injuries that may occur as a result of how the body responds to the primary injury. They consider that areas of secondary injuries are the best promising areas of research in order to optimize the acute management of the patient to pharmacologic interventions to cellular transplantation.

http://www.askmenhealth.org/cart__mu...d_injuries.php

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    I don't know what magazines they have been reading but I assured them I would let them know so they don't lose any sleep over it
    It reminds me of one known slogan from even more known organization dedicated to a cure for SCI: "We know you are waiting... but it will be worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    any scientist that says decades should leave the field.
    DA, you are not only wrong but destructive. If a scientist says that and if you don't want to hear it, close your ears instead of driving the scientist out of the field. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    DA, you are not only wrong but destructive. If a scientist says that and if you don't want to hear it, close your ears instead of driving the scientist out of the field. Wise.
    To get to the final scientist must go step by step, and go forward, I know, and I´m the first, we all are waiting for a SCI efficient treatment but must be patient,, everything has a beggining and an end... So lets be hopefull and support all de scientists who are making the miracle will be possible as soon as posible...

I think people confuse research with practical application. Just from a common sense approach, from the time someone in a lab can reconnect an injured or severed spinal cord to the time when a doctor can open up my back, dig through the bone and titanium and reconnect my spinal cord it will be decades. I admire people's optimism but I am 45 years old and fully expect to live the rest of my life in a wheelchair.