View Poll Results: I believe that clinical trials are necessary for curing spinal cord injury:

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 92.86%
  • No

4 7.14%
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Next decade offers promise for treatment of spinal cord injuries

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    in 2002, they knew how to remylinate axons, grow a few hundred axons across the injury site, they knew about l1, and testing neurons created with stem cells. by 2004, they were growings thousands and thousands of axons across the injury site.
    So why didn't you create clinical trials in 2002?

One of the major orthopedic surgery organizations in the United States is saying that they have hope for spinal cord injury and what is the response on CareCure? Over 50% of the posts are criticizing each other for saying that they hope. Have you listened to yourselves recently? Please, what matters is that it is good for the field when clinicians have hope and believe that there will be therapies. Please stop complaining and do something positive. Thank you.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    One of the major orthopedic surgery organizations in the United States is saying that they have hope for spinal cord injury and what is the response on CareCure? Over 50% of the posts are criticizing each other for saying that they hope. Have you listened to yourselves recently? Please, what matters is that it is good for the field when clinicians have hope and believe that there will be therapies. Please stop complaining and do something positive. Thank you.

Wise.
    You are right, and I hope those therapies to be ready as soon as possible... To many people are suffering the SCI and we all are in the same boat..

Thanks Wise.
    Hope and strength..

With all due respect Wise, hope has existed for decades with few tangible results. Hope isn't going anywhere, but we as consumers must be realistic.

Take the recent hype surrounding Apple's iPad, for example. Rumors of its development/existence floated around the web for a while (just as "rumors" of a "cure" do). It was finally announced. Consumer interest swelled. Pre-order numbers skyrocketed, all without but a select few actually touching the device. Apple can create products that people desire even without seeing in-person. Tomorrow will be another crazy day where the enthusiasts wait in line all night just to get their paws on a device that hasn't even been proven to be beneficial to one's life yet.

If this "hope" is worth getting the consumers hyped up over and thus prompting them to "do something positive," perhaps the research industry needs to look at examples of effective marketing.

Guessing as to when the cure will arrive can be a disheartening exercise but that does not mean that I am not encouraged by reports like this. I have given in having confidence in the estimates of how long it will take but the way I read this report is that rapid progress is being made and researchers who know a lot more than the majority of us are saying that we are getting a lot closer. I find that encouraging. As far as a time is concerned, I say with absolute certainty that we are significantly closer now than we were when I first heard an estimate. I regard that as good news.

To me the cure is not about hoping, it is not about faith, couragin or discouraging news/comments. The first thing to do with a SCI as i see it is acceptance. We all struggle, some a lot, some less. We have to finetune our own feelings about this and trying to feel better as much as possible.
    After that it's just about work and effort. The more you do the more you'll get back.

Staying still and not getting involved with things that matter has never brought anything good to humanity.
    You know what's the best thing you can do? Please do it!
    You don't know? Please ask!

There's this quote that i like pretty much and i think fits here somehow:
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" (Edmund Burke)

We all can get successes closer. ALL of us.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    ... and about 259,000 Americans currently live with a long-lasting SCI. ...
    I think she's behind on her reading. Over a year ago, the Christopher Reeve Foundation study placed the number of American SCIs at over 1,000,000.
    Last edited by khmorgan; 04-02-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Wise.
    dr young we have been lied and fooled by clinicians for years and decades.

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    I think she's behind on her reading. Over a year ago, the Christopher Reeve Foundation study placed the number of American SCIs at over 1,000,000.
    i think the number is around 540,000.

Good news for everyone here, without doubt, but i still hate to read scientists/researchers talking about hope.
    I always thought that hope and faith were aspects of religion, not basis for science.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me