View Poll Results: I believe that clinical trials are necessary for curing spinal cord injury:

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 92.86%
  • No

4 7.14%
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Next decade offers promise for treatment of spinal cord injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Eric,

If the trial is double-blind, nobody knows what the results are until the trial is "unblinded". Many investigators will not allow any of the trial results to get out until the study has been peer-reviewed. I would urge you not to trust "leaked" data. Most often, it is inaccurate. More important, it has not been reviewed by experts and therefore not trustworthy.

Wise.
    What about Dr. Hongyun Huang? He must have the facilities and
    permission to offer stem cell therapies (that don't seem to work).
    I'm not challenging your method, but why is it that he's able to
    offer what he does without as much difficulty as other doctors
    in the stem cell field?

buck,
    you hit the nail on the head.why dont domestic research facilities assist overseas clinics in providing better therapies than the snake oil they are currently being accused of selling?

Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    DA,
    for the x prize to work you have to win the lottery first,otherwise i agree completely.
    not necessary. if we as a community stop giving money to the system and start using it to fill kate's pot. just redirect the money we would give to the pot. the guy in canada raised $25 million. what a great start to the pot, as an example. why can't we raise the money.
    the nfl can put a few million in the pot. Beaumont is the birth place of exxon-mobile, i would hit them up. can't we cc find enough donors to make the pot sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    No, actually I would think he started smoking crack. Just sayin.
    No you wouldn't because he'd just use different terminology and you wouldn't even recognize its the same thing... not different than when politicians change positions, they just re-phrase and people fall in line..

If Dr. young Announced on here he was putting together a "open participation pre-clinical procedure" you really believe there would be back lash from this board, please. He could say its just a small test to see if a procedure is worth taking to trial. you'd eat it up.
    Last edited by Eric.S; 04-06-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    maybe a gunman is forcing him to read... lets give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I read your posts purely for entertainment DA, the same reason I sometimes watch that drama-queen, Glen Beck

If you have a better way, then actually DO SOMETHING to change the system. Giving Dr Young grief for working within the guidelines of the US System is doing nothing. You have 32,000 posts on CareCure. You could have had a huge impact if you had used that time and energy in a productive manner. Attacking the people who have dedicated their lives to making your life better is pathetic. Sure you should debate with him, but often times you are out of line and disrespectful.

Instead of pissing, moaning, and bashing those on the front lines, do something yourself.

Eric, aka, drama queen jr, see above message to drama queen sr.

Smile

not necessary. if we as a community stop giving money to the system and start using it to fill kate's pot. just redirect the money we would give to the pot. the guy in canada raised $25 million. what a great start to the pot, as an example. why can't we raise the money.
    the nfl can put a few million in the pot. Beaumont is the birth place of exxon-mobile, i would hit them up. can't we cc find enough donors to make the pot sweet?

DA I bet you can do excellent job to collect money for the cure. Think of something to be involve in money collecting. You have a great authority power for something like this, and even you can make politician to donate too. Come on organize something. I'll be behind you. Help Dr. Young to get money. I know you can help A LOT! PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I read your posts purely for entertainment DA, the same reason I sometimes watch that drama-queen, Glen Beck

If you have a better way, then actually DO SOMETHING to change the system. Giving Dr Young grief for working within the guidelines of the US System is doing nothing. You have 32,000 posts on CareCure. You could have had a huge impact if you had used that time and energy in a productive manner. Attacking the people who have dedicated their lives to making your life better is pathetic. Sure you should debate with him, but often times you are out of line and disrespectful.

Instead of pissing, moaning, and bashing those on the front lines, do something yourself.

Eric, aka, drama queen jr, see above message to drama queen sr.
    i have not been disrespectful to dr young. what you want is for me to be a smiling
    hopping bob to everything dr young say. i could have a field day on all the things
    dr young said the last +12 years that turned out to be wrong. and he knows it. im sure
    he can find 1 or 2 things when i was wrong. dr young and you take any criticism of this bad system personally. thats not my fault. get over it. the system stinks. i am not biting the hand that feeds me because that hand is empty. in my 24 years of sci that hand never had
    anything in it. NOTHING. NOT A DAMN THING. But let me guess, 5 more years right?
    or 5 more years of excuses. maybe you should start memorizing them since you are now dr young's nanny.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    DA I bet you can do excellent job to collect money for the cure. Think of something to be involve in money collecting. You have a great authority power for something like this, and even you can make politician to donate too. Come on organize something. I'll be behind you. Help Dr. Young to get money. I know you can help A LOT! PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    i think this forum could raise a lot of money. but not for the current system. i can not support that effort and i get the feeling many here is also frustrated by the thought of
    pouring money into a bad system. a system that takes but never gives back.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    What about Dr. Hongyun Huang? He must have the facilities and
    permission to offer stem cell therapies (that don't seem to work).
    I'm not challenging your method, but why is it that he's able to
    offer what he does without as much difficulty as other doctors
    in the stem cell field?
    Buck,

Hongyun Huang is a good man and a very passionate doctor. I know him because he trained with me for nearly three years and learned how to grow olfactory ensheathing glia in New Jersey. He unfortunately did not do the necessary studies to convince the world that the treatment is effective. The treatment also has limited effect, mostly sensory improvement, possibly because the cells are not immune-matched and are rejected after a period of time.

In China, fetal cell transplants are allowed as a treatment for some conditions. Hongyun Huang has taken advantage of that loophole to transplant cells from aborted fetuses. I don't know how long this will continue because there are lots of changes in regulation in China and there is much uncertainty concerning what the Ministry of Health will permit or not permit as they implement new regulations concerning cell transplants.

Please also understand that the cells that he is transplanting are olfactory ensheathing glial cells and astrocytes. Although he has recently been trying to transplant neural stem cells isolated from the olfactory bulbs, the cells that he has been transplanting are not stem cells. Although he has been trying, he does not yet have the facilities or the personnel to do genetic manipualtions to produce new cell, including the IPS (induced pluripotent stem) cells and the newly discovered INS (induced neural stem) cells. However, there are many very well funded laboratories in China that are now making such cells and I would not be surprised at all if he collaborates with them to initiate trials. Hongyun Huang has more experience with transplanting cells into the spinal cord than any other doctor in the world.

I am not sure what you are referring to as "my method". By my method, are you referring to the clinical trial method? If so, let me assure you that it is not *my* method. It is the method accepted by the world, by all the countries in Europe, America, China, Taiwan, and Japan. Randomized controlled trials are the world-wide standard by which *all* new treatments are assessed and approved. The fact that it is not being done with olfactory ensheathing glia means that it will not be accepted in the rest of the world.

Wise.

i think this forum could raise a lot of money. but not for the current system. i can not support that effort and i get the feeling many here is also frustrated by the thought of
    pouring money into a bad system. a system that takes but never gives back.
    Don't be funny DA, -you have done zero, you are doing zero and you will continue to do zero. Blaming all that lazyness on a system is laughable. I have seen ppl like you before, we used to fire them. And you talk about contacting Exxon-Mobile? Even funnier, -they would laugh so hard they probably never have done before.
    Last edited by Leif; 04-07-2010 at 06:46 AM.