View Poll Results: I believe that clinical trials are necessary for curing spinal cord injury:

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 92.86%
  • No

4 7.14%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Next decade offers promise for treatment of spinal cord injuries

Wise, giving a dollar a dy to the are cure forum was and is a good idea. We should be able to recurit US as opposed to sit idely by. You don't give up on the road most likiely seen and could be traveled. Let's make sure we know how much and what it's being used for so we can build momentum. I'm sure if we see some movement forward on the upcoming trial and are kept abreast and show the need to go even further will work. We aS A GROUP WILL BUILD MOMENTUM AND SOLICIT OTHERS TO GIVE ALSO. In the meantime, if possible, we can all try to give as much as possible , especially if we know that progress in being made. We must have trust in the operation adn have trust in ourselves to ge forward first.

could you give me dr. wise address I would like to send a check for the dollar a day I don't have a credit card
    thank you

I would caution against getting people too wound up over a particular patient or trial, once again you are treating (or in this case marketing toward) their emotions. When the patient gains no function or trial is proven ineffective, as we can rationally say is likely, the funders are likely to be emotionally spent and NOT help fund the next trial, like those who spent many thousands on unproven therapies with no positive result.

But, making it more near term and tangible would help, I agree -- I just worry about the possible long term effect with the above method.

I posted in the fundraising ideas thread that integrating the care cure forum into SCINetUSA donation system would allow members to have visibility for their donation on this site, and as more people were seen to be contributors others would be excited to join them("the car might actually make it out of the mud now" idea). I included some impressive numbers in the post as well (linked below).
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...4&postcount=17

But, apparently Dr. Young wants to keep care cure more neutral instead of advocating for one specific fundraising group:

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    We discourage direct solicitation and fundraising on CareCure. On the other hand, this is a place that many people get their information about spinal cord injury research. We have frank discussions concerning the value, direction, and promise of the various research groups. Opinions vary from hero worship to caustic condemnation. You have to judge the opinions based on the credibility of the people. If you have specific questions about the research that a group is doing, please ask and somebody will be able to provide the information. By the way, if you can't find out information about a group to convince you to give to that group, you shouldn't give. That is just common sense.
    If I interpret this correctly, I assume he would not be in favor of my idea as linked above. So, I'll just do the best I can myself and encourage others to do the same. Please see my new signature below.
    Last edited by maglito; 04-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    C4 incomplete April 26, 2009

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by maglito View Post
    I would caution against getting people too wound up over a particular patient or trial, once again you are treating (or in this case marketing toward) their emotions. When the patient gains no function or trial is proven ineffective, as we can rationally say is likely, the funders are likely to be emotionally spent and NOT help fund the next trial, like those who spent many thousands on unproven therapies with no positive result.

But, making it more near term and tangible would help, I agree -- I just worry about the possible long term effect with the above method.

I posted in the fundraising ideas thread that integrating the care cure forum into SCINetUSA donation system would allow members to have visibility for their donation on this site, and as more people were seen to be contributors others would be excited to join them("the car might actually make it out of the mud now" idea). I included some impressive numbers in the post as well (linked below).
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...4&postcount=17

But, apparently Dr. Young wants to keep care cure more neutral instead of advocating for one specific fundraising group:

If I interpret this correctly, I assume he would not be in favor of my idea as linked above. So, I'll just do the best I can myself and encourage others to do the same. Please see my new signature below.
    Excellent idea.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Even I gotta say thats far fetched....
    i know. nih would fight it and try never to give up the slavery chains they have on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    But the practise of announcing a specific dollar amount, where it goes, and showing the progress in raising that amount has proven to be effective. I'm sure you've seen those thermometer style graphics that track the progress of your local fundraisers.
    Right, but don't kid yourself. When MDA, United Way, etc. show goals, they do it with care. Imagine your local United Way setting a goal of $100M and then only raising $1M. The thermometer would hardly ever show red, leading people to think, "There must be something wrong with this charity."

I just saying that when you set goals for fund raising, it is better to pick achievable ones. Remember the 1,000,000 signature goal. The current number after over a year is less than 8,000.

Quote Originally Posted by maglito View Post

I belive this is a very good point: "near term & tangible"

Like in the Obama campain people new that supporting him he would win & the election day was fixed, sure & close. If we had a fixed day to start a clinical trial it would be great. Still it should not be too far away in the future. Let's say 6 moths. That would be a good time to start a fund raising campain.
    Then we would need a person with a great speaking capabilities like Obama has, but above all we know that it is essential to have a therapy with great chances of success (even moderate), no success would make more difficult to raise found for another clinical trial.