Thread: How to make laptop wireless?

How to make laptop wireless?

Good day:

My newly fixed (the one that I threw) Toshiba TE2100 laptop ... I want to use it at home but wireless. I was under the impression my laptop was already wireless and I would just need a wireless router to utilize my cable connection anywhere in my home.

There is a small red window (infared?) at the front of my laptop but I can't get it to activate.

Am I wrong that it's built in? Would I need to get one of those cards AND the router?

Sorry - new to wireless.

That little red window is the IR (infrared) port not wireless ethernet. You need a wireless router or access point if you have a router already and a usb wireless addapter or wireless pcmcia card for the laptop.

Lynnifer,

when reading the specs for your laptop (Toshiba Tecra TE2100), I found that you do have built-in wireless LAN (802.11b). There is a wireless antenna in your laptop. In mine, both wires run up both ends of my lid/screen.

Accessing the Wi-FiTM Mini PCI module
    When using your Wi-Fi Mini PCI module, your computer may display a Safely Remove Hardware icon in the desktop's system tray to indicate that it is in use. Do not confuse the system tray's
    icon with other removable PC Card devices you may have installed.

You can use the system tray's Safely Remove Hardware icon to turn off your Wi-Fi Mini PCI module. You will need to restart your computer to turn it back on. To avoid restarting your computer, you can alternatively use the Wi-Fi on/off antenna switch.
    If you don't have already, you will need to get a wireless hub/router. If your cable router allows you to hook up more than one computer, then you can just use a hub. If the cable box only allows one computer (and you have more than one computer) you will need to hook up a router to your cable box. I recommend getting one that allows you to hook up printers, etc to the wireless router. I use my wireless printing more than anything else, really. Most routers are 802.11g now, but offer backwards compatibility with 802.11b devices.

I have a seven computer Mac/PC network in my house -- two laptops (one mac, one pc). Our ISP only allows two computers to be connected to the internet at a time, which is fine, because usually my husband and I are the only one's online. However, we have a server, my son's computers, my windoze computer, etc that all need to be online and able to do file sharing (and gaming, of course)! We have IP forwarding set up for the two that go online and have the other 5 on a dhcp pool.

[This message was edited by Jadis on 06-19-05 at 07:55 AM.]

Good Lord Jadis! lol

So I thought it had built-in wireless.

Okay question ... when I switch the toggle on the left hand side to wireless .. the indicator light DOES NOT come on.

I'm thinking...
    1) I really broke it when the computer went down (but it didn't land on that side!).

2)I replaced the lcd screen off ebay - would that affect the wires? (I still have the old one).

3) I need the wireless router to get things activated.

Sorry - dumb when it comes to wireless!

Originally posted by lynnifer:

Good Lord Jadis! lol
    did I say something wrong?

So I thought it had built-in wireless.

Okay question ... when I switch the toggle on the left hand side to wireless .. the indicator light DOES NOT come on

I'm thinking...
    1) I really broke it when the computer went down (but it didn't land on that side!).
    quite possibly, but not necessarily. I couldn't find anything that indicates that the light comes on when it's activated vs. connection.

2)I replaced the lcd screen off ebay - would that affect the wires? (I still have the old one).
    slim chance. referring to how mine run through my laptop (had to replace both hinges), you would have definitely been aware of the wires. You may have pulled them loose, but I am thinking it's a slim possibility.

3) I need the wireless router to get things activated.

Sorry - dumb when it comes to wireless!
    That's what I am leaning towards -- once it finds a wireless connection then it comes on. For example, the lights on the hub are black until an enet cable plugs into it.

Originally posted by Jadis:

Good Lord Jadis! lol
    did I say something wrong?
    lol .. no I was shocked at how many computers you have in your home! You could give MSN a run for their money! lol

Thanks so much for the help.

what is your wireless in your computer trying to connect to if you have no router?? i'm sleepy, maybe i missed something...

i have router/modem and 3 computers connected. 2 wireless, 1 ethernet. dsl line goes to router/modem, ethernet line to desktop puter. both laptops connected via wireless cards to router/modem. all 3 puters online at same time plus can use phone os same line same time (diff frequency).

Lynnifer,
    If you're just wanting to see what's in your laptop for networking:
    right click on "My Computer" icon
    select properties
    Hardware Tab
    Device Manager
    click on + at Network adapters

This will show you what hardware is available on your laptop. Should be some wireless connection shown if you have builtin.

Or if you have a "My Network Places" icon, open that, click on "View network connections"
    will show you what hardware XP sees/manages.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

lol .. no I was shocked at how many computers you have in your home! You could give MSN a run for their money! lol

Thanks so much for the help.
    ahh ok. Yes, i am a techie. LOL You know you're a computer geek when the computers outnumber the people 2:1. LOL

Was entirely too close to MSN once upon a time. Not my favorite job, I will say.

A quick way to check is goto a place oor freind with wireless and tryer out. XP will auto detect a network if its work'n.