Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: My town and curbs

Tactile markers are there to alert people with vision impairments that a change is taking place that they need to be aware of. Without the markers, a person who is blind could miss the elevation change on the slope and be out in the street without warning. Learned a lot about these things doing orientation and mobility training with my SO.

There are a number of ways the markers can be done but most installations seem to favor the bumps instead of grooves because dust seems to fill in the grooves more often. And the groves are less obvious to a cane user.

I find that rolling over some of the tactile markers sets up a rather unpleasant spasm in my back and legs. In my city, we're trying to find a compromise but we've not yet succeeded. With our current budget, it's no longer a priority.

It's been my experience that many of the accommodations that make my SO's life easier as a blind man make my life as a chair user more difficult. The universe is nothing if not perverse. c'est le vie.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Addiesue ..... glad they are fixing it. Too bad of course they didn;t do it right the first time. Stupid waste of money (doing it wrong, not fixing it)

Jen, I hate them too, they set my spasms right off. I was really bitching about them the first time I ran into them, thinking it was for traction or something, and then realized why they were there. I did find for me if I go more slowly over them it helps. REAL slowly I mean. So it depends on what sort of day I am having whether I poke across, or just suck it up and deal with them.

I'm sure somewhere there is a blind person is going around saying "Damn it! I hate those ramps on the corners .... at least with a regular curb, I can find where the sidewalk ends!"
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    There are a number of ways the markers can be done but most installations seem to favor the bumps instead of grooves because dust seems to fill in the grooves more often. And the groves are less obvious to a cane user.
    I don't mind the bumps so much, tho' the can slow my momentum and sometimes cause spasms. If the bumps are easier for someone with low or no vision then that's cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I don't mind the bumps so much, tho' the can slow my momentum and sometimes cause spasms. If the bumps are easier for someone with low or no vision then that's cool with me.
    I hear ya Scorp. I find them to be a PITA and they really used to piss me off until I started going out with my SO and saw first hand how helpful they are. I don't mind them as much now either.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.