Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My town and curbs

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Gotcha. So the ADA may not have specified what kinds of curb cuts are necessary, so the codes in the early 90s may have allowed for the mess in Christina's town? That sucks.
    Absolutely correct.

I'm doing research on a public building which was bought and renovated in 2008. Its a gorgeous old warehouse built in 1915 that is now full of restaurants, stores and apts. The first time I went in there I thought the codes officer must have been a 3 year-old, because there was so much wrong with it I was actually amazed. Through research I learned the plans were submitted and approved in 2000, even though they didn't own the property yet. The interior meets the 2000 codes but not the 2008.

Friggin amazing.

Sorry Christina- now back to your thread ;-)
    Dave

The sidewalks were planned and approved last year. Sometimes I watch the local govt channel so that I will go to sleep, which has the council meetings, etc. I actually saw when they were debating about doing it. Back then I never expected they would be stupid. I don't know why. I have lived here for over 10 years, I should know by now.
    The ones with the brick are part of our greenway which I know used federal money, not that that really seems to make a difference.
    I emailed about the new ones yesterday about 10 AM. I got no reply. However today on my way in to work there were 6 guys in yellow vests scratching their heads looking at the corners and one busting up the concrete. I am surprised they moved so fast. Let's see how they screw it up when they redo it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Hey, good for u! See you stand up and say something and it gets done. Probably because it's the higher-up's head on the block, and doesn't want a stink raised b4 it gets fixed. Yeah, you won one, good job Addisue!!

The end of our driveway is so steep that Dave's footplates scrape. It is the only way for us to go to the street as no sidewalks. Once we get to the corner there are decent curb cuts down the street.
    I end up lugging a metal rolla ramp to the end. (having scoliosis isues as it is-but that is another story) These places were built in 1999. We moved here a year ago when Dave came home.
    The city can barely get the streets fixed and pot holes filled with all of the budget cuts, so not sure if they could or would help us.
    Keep us posted!
    Last edited by LindaT; 04-01-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: phrase

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    However today on my way in to work there were 6 guys in yellow vests scratching their heads looking at the corners and one busting up the concrete.
    Woohoo!

Unbelievable in this day and age that those sidewalks are still produced. Even moms with strollers would have trouble with those elevations. It must be frustrating addiesue to have to keep advocating for even the simplest of citizen rights. Good luck.

What sucks is that I keep having to be bitchy about things that I shouldn't have to. Then I have to go in and try to get funding and find resources for other projects. It's a no win. They see me coming and know I'm either "complaining" or begging.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

What sucks is that I keep having to be bitchy about things that I shouldn't have to. Then I have to go in and try to get funding and find resources for other projects. It's a no win. They see me coming and know I'm either "complaining" or begging.
    Might be true but most importantly, you are creating change for the positive.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Wow a reporter that I called yesterday just tracked me down. We are familiar from some other things I did last year. We think they are redoing things, and I think he was disappointed he didn't have story anymore. But I went over all of the other issues so he's still going to pick up a little something. He went to talk to the girl from the city after he left here because she still has not replied to me. This has been interesting.

Here are the curb cuts on our square, the "nice" part of town. You can only cross in one direction, so if you want to go the other way in the street you have to come off and go around to cross.
    When I see the curb cut on this picture, it is like small knobs in the beginning and I know they are for the blind people to know when the street starts. But we were looking on one place in Oslo when they have plans to make it like that and both the blind one and me didn't like it at all. The blind one because he couldn't feel them and me because it felt like cobblestone. Do you know any other solution for that. I have to write a mail about it tomorrow.

I see the picture is not coming in the quote, it is from the nice place post 4.
    TH 12, 43 years post