Thread: New York State Budget Changes Will Scrap Spinal Cord Injury Research Board

New York State Budget Changes Will Scrap Spinal Cord Injury Research Board

New York State Budget Changes Will Scrap Spinal Cord Injury Research Board

New York’s Governor David Patterson recently put forth his 2010-2011 state budget proposal, including the phasing out of New York’s Spinal Cord Injury Research Board (SCIRB). Supporters of the program are upset over the proposed cut, saying it will make the economy suffer further and will slow down important spinal cord research, an article in the Gotham Gazette reported.
    Paul Richter, a New York state trooper who suffered a spinal cord injury during a shooting, created the SCIRB in 1998. He recovered enough to walk with a cane, and since his former favorite activities are out of his reach, he said, “I’ve never got a penny for doing this. I can’t golf anymore, so I spend my time and money this way,” the Gazette reported.

The SCIRB has been funded by a surcharge applied to traffic tickets in the state of New York. The logic behind the surcharge, said Richter, was that, “most spinal cord injuries result from automobile and motorcycle accidents,” the Gazette reported. The budget office claims they need the surcharges as part of the state’s general fund to help offset New York’s $9.2 billion budget deficit. The surcharges bring in a reported $6.7 million per year.

read...

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/bl...esearch-board/

Richter, come on over to carecure where they will tell you to focus on what you can do and not on what you can't do. then they would make excuses for patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    Richter, come on over to carecure where they will tell you to focus on what you can do and not on what you can't do. then they would make excuses for patterson.
    DA this is the Cure forum. This isn't your Politics playground! Do something to help.

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    DA this is the Cure forum. This isn't your Politics playground! Do something to help.
    i am. i was pointing out how the sci community is a bunch of excuses making wimps for paralysis remaining un-cured, when it can be cured.