Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: transfers

Talking transfers

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get some input from some of the bigger guys on how they transfer from bed to chair, etc. David is not ready for that completely yet but curious how we can make it easier. He is still in therapy getting his upper body stronger but at some point will try transfers. He has gained some weight after being bed bound for so long so if you have any suggestions to help take some of it off we would appreciate that as well. He is anxious to be as independent as possible and any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    DavesMom, Diane

I am 6 foot 1 and weighed about 220 before my accident, almost 7 years out. I handle level transfers with ease and can go up to 4 or 6 inches higher without much of a problem. Use no board or aides to transfer. I am a functional T6 complete.

What level is your son, age and what would you like to know. I´d be glad to help if I can.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Blog Entries
    just would like to add to strengthen the triceps and biceps which will be a big part in transfers. One suggestion of transferring from bed to chair especially if both have the same level is having the back turned slowly moving to the chair positioned to catch your buttocks. Or at an angle, from the bed, use a board to move slowly to the chair. hope this helps
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

im c4/5 func c6 no tri's i do all transfers ind w/ a board. if no tri's your shoulder need to be crazy strong. im 6'2 190
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by DavesMom View Post
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to get some input from some of the bigger guys on how they transfer from bed to chair, etc. David is not ready for that completely yet but curious how we can make it easier. He is still in therapy getting his upper body stronger but at some point will try transfers. He has gained some weight after being bed bound for so long so if you have any suggestions to help take some of it off we would appreciate that as well. He is anxious to be as independent as possible and any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    DavesMom, Diane
    There is no magic way. Less calories in, more burned off through activity/exercise. He is probably burning calories at the rate of only 75 an hour lying in bed. A good diet for a para should be high protein and fiber and low carbohydrate.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm 6'5 and 225 lbs. T10 complete injury. Unfortunately I separated my shoulder in my fall but I still do level transfers woithout a board. Anything higher than about 3 inches I use my board to save my shoulder. Work those triceps in you have them!
    "Its not about being right. It's about getting it right."
    Joe Dumars

All input is appreciated guys. Thanks. Paramoto, my son is 32 and is a T-5 complete. He had his accident 2 years ago this June 4th. He had multiple life threatening injuries in addition to his sci. He spent 4 months in Shock Trauma in Baltimore and 2 months in rehab which was absolutely useless as he came out of shock trauma with huge bedsores that took almost a year to heal. He is just now getting up and around as he could not sit in his wheelchair for more than an hour twice a day for the longest time. The sores were so bad most times we did not even do that because I was afraid of making them worse. He was very sick when he got home after 6 months in hospitals and lost tons of weight. They gave him an appetite stimulant to actually make him gain weight. He is over 6 feet and has always been on the husky side before the accident. The last several months he has not taken the appetite stimulant but has gained alot of weight. Now he wants to lose some so when he is able he can do the transfers. Since he is going to rehab again and able to work at it this time, he seems like he is losing some. They are focusing on upper body strength. He gets ot and pt. They also talked about him at some point pushing himself up out of the chair with his arms also. He needs to learn to do that so he does not have all the pressure on his butt due to the sores. He will always be prone to them they said if he is not careful. Is there a certain diet he should follow or just as was mentioned high protein and fiber and low carbs? We are still using the hoyer to lift him out of bed and he is anxious to be able to transfer himself. I guess it will take time. I think of where he was at a year ago and where he is today and I am thankful he has come so far.
    DavesMom, Diane

I'm a big guy and getting bigger (fatter) every year. Transfers also are getting harder as muscles weaken a bit with age. T-8.

The key thing to look for at first is to make absolutely sure where you are transferring to and where you are transferring from is rock-steady. I had one or two falls when I first started out typically because I was pushing off something that slide away a bit.

Make sure you are as close as possible to the destination before starting.

Also watch your feet very carefully, make sure they do not get caught or cut in something.

The one thing I never really mastered safely was transferring from a manual chair to a car seat. I can do it but it's always tricky. The seat is high up and doors on many cars do not open wide enough. In general I am not that good at transferring from a manual because it slips, I usually use an electric for that reason in fact.

Hey Diane, you will be amazed how fast the learning curve is once your son is healthy. I am a t8 complete and about 8 months from my injury. After my accident I had multiple broken ribs, cracked sternum and a separated shoulder (and of course a broken back). It took 4 months before I was able to try and start transferring without a board. Four months later I am typing this from a hotel bed that is one of those mondo pillow top jobbies that is like 6 inches above my chair and can I hop up in it with no board with ease.

Thanks for the info Davesmom. I shattered my wrist and had two punctured lungs, my rehab was pretty much a waste of time too.

Just to cover some basics to be sure.

1) He should be sitting on a Roho cushion, or something very similar. Air cushions tend to be the best for avoiding sores.
    2) While in the chair he should do a weight shift as often as possible, at least every 20 minutes or so. He should get into the habit of being a wiggle worm, the more he moves the better. He needs to do his weight shifts.
    3) In bed he should turn every couple of hours untils he gets his rhythm. Maybe consider sleeping on his belly to give his backside a break for a few hours a day. I sleep on my side(s).
    4) He should drink plenty of water to keep his skin healthy, and watch his bladder program.
    5) Encourage him to join and be active in carecure.

Once this is covered, I can only add that SCI is a different world to each SCI survivor. In my view, transfers are about technique, about balance, about letting his body do most of the work. At T5 and 32 years old he will not have a problem transfering, you can trust me on this. My suggestion would be to find another SCI with a similar injury and see how he/she does it, how they get into a car, bed, etc.

I was taught in rehab an extremely complicated method to get into bed, it was a process that took minutes. I went to an SCI I met, to his house, and asked him to show me how he got into bed. I was thrilled to see him do it in five to ten seconds. His technique was unbelievable. I watched and copied what I could, it takes me probably 20 to 30 seconds to go from the chair to the bed, at most. I would have never learned this had I not seen this friend do it. Learning how real wheelchair users do things was better than all the rehab in the world. There is a lot to learn here too, it never stops.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003