Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very slow computer

very slow computer

Hi my computer has been running very slow lately and I was wondering if there was anything I can do to speed it up? My Internet explorer also keeps shutting down. I need help please!! Thanks.

Well you can try using a different browser for one thing if you are having trouble with IE...I like Google chrome and there are others, Firefox...You might have spyware or a trojan on your computer and Spybot S&D is a good program for that. When was the last time you defraged your hard drive?

In the year and a half I have not defraged my computer so I guess I should try that. I also use kaspersky anti spyware protection. I will defrag my computer and start using google chrome since that is the other one I have loaded on my computer.

I am also wondering what is the best way to go about backing up music (itunes) pictures, and other word docs? Thanks

Bailey, I use RegCure to periodically clean my computer...it takes care of a host of things that can slow your computer down.

As far as backing up files, I'd recommend using a flash drive AND an external hard drive. Also, storing music, vid's, pic's, etc. (stuff that take up lots of space) on an external drive is a good way to preserve the memory on your computer.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Danine, thanks for your imput! I will look into the external hard drive. I think I will put word docs and some pictures on flash drives.

Djrolling I just got done defraging my hard drive so I will see how that works for today. Thanks!

Sounds like your computer is in need of some maintenance. if you haven't already, run a full antivirus scan with whatever antivirus program you have - but update it first. Next I would download and run these two free programs: CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

http://www.ccleaner.com
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

Download and install the free versions. When you install CCleaner, you will be prompted to make additions to your recycle bin and to add a toolbar (Yahoo I think), so uncheck these changes/additions if you don't want them. CCleaner's default settings are fine for most users, but it does delete cookies unless you uncheck that option (in your case I would leave it checked). Before you scan with Anti-Malware, make sure you update it first - there is a tab at the top.

After you run these programs, I would then defrag your hard drive. There's a bunch of free programs out there that do a better job than Windows defragger, but you'll be fine just using the Windows version.

See how your computer runs after you follow the steps above. Another option would be to also run windows hard drive error checker. Windows has a program that will scan your hard drive and fix file system errors: go to my computer, right-click your hard drive, click properties/tools and under "error-checking" click check now. Click okay and then reboot your computer. Depending on the speed of your hard drive, this may take a while - couple hours or so.

Good luck.

keybored you really know your stuff! Thanks very much.

Ok, so it looks like i do have 18 trojens!!! I didn't realize this till just now when I looked at my antivirus and saw this!! How do I fix it?? thanks.

Glad I could help. Your antivirus program may get rid of most if not all of the trojans - follow their instructions. Anti-malware may fix them too. Some trojans need special attention - google the ones you can't fix.

Good luck.
    Last edited by KeyBored; 03-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Usually the antivirus and or programs that detect such things fix them automatically...OK well what I use does so not being familiar with your program I do not know if you are looking at things that have been fixed or that you have to make decisions on. You can also copy your files to CD's

Ok so how do I know if they've been fixed??