Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Gripe about home site.

  1. #31
    Senior Member Timaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hampshire, England.
    Posts
    5,004
    Glad to see you in a safe place Juke.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    What size & model ( low, Hi, etc.) Roho do you need / use?
    I use a 16" X 16" high profile (4") ROHO Quatro.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I'm really happy to hear that you are OK. I was wondering about you today and hoping that you are all right.

    Take that beeyotch landlady to court as soon as you are able. She is going to find out that there are rules to follow when dealing with tenants and that they do indeed apply to her as they do any other landlord.

    Glad that you are at least indoors even though the location is not all that desirable.
    Skippy, the worst thing about being here is the food. The meals are virtually unseasoned. The institution uses a single food supplier, Sysco, and those people supply cans and a very few kinds of fresh produce. Salads are all based on iceburg lettuce -yech - and double yetch nutritionally. I'm barred from leaving the premesis; there's a big chance that just going shopping would get me booted and with nowhere to go I'm reluctant to roll those dice.

    I'm looking into ordering some stuff, like a replacement charger for my laptop and a DVD player, to make life here a little more entertaining.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Hi Juke,
    Sorry the food is so miserable. Is it possible to order in occasionally just so your taste buds don't off themselves? I realize that is probably tricky too though, even if allowed, and you are likely to have other patients getting very friendly very fast when they smell real food on the hallway.

  5. #35
    Senior Member skippy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a handbasket
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Skippy, the worst thing about being here is the food. The meals are virtually unseasoned. The institution uses a single food supplier, Sysco, and those people supply cans and a very few kinds of fresh produce. Salads are all based on iceburg lettuce -yech - and double yetch nutritionally. I'm barred from leaving the premesis; there's a big chance that just going shopping would get me booted and with nowhere to go I'm reluctant to roll those dice.

    I'm looking into ordering some stuff, like a replacement charger for my laptop and a DVD player, to make life here a little more entertaining.
    They are probably prevented from seasoning anything because in an institutional setting that usually only extends to salt and pepper. They generally have no further imagination than that. Salt is a no-no in any senior kitchen. Everyone suffers whether they need to avoid salt or not.

    As to the salad ingredients...there is no cheaper lettuce than iceberg which has absolutely no nutritional value. They throw in a few shredded carrots and some limp red cabbage and dub it salad. People then drizzle on some greasy dressing that cancels any possible good that the salad may provide. The tiny amount of cabbage and carrot have more nutritional value than all of a full head of iceberg lettuce does. It is obvious that they are trying to save money at the expense of their patients. A lot of older people have dentures that make it hard for some to eat lettuce anyway. I'm very particular about getting the maximum food value for the calories taken in, too.

    I bet you that they give you all white bread too. Cheap! Cheap!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Hi Juke,
    Sorry the food is so miserable. Is it possible to order in occasionally just so your taste buds don't off themselves? I realize that is probably tricky too though, even if allowed, and you are likely to have other patients getting very friendly very fast when they smell real food on the hallway.
    Eileen,

    I've been planning to order out for the past week and will probably give in in the next few days. It'll be pasta unless there's a Chinese place that delivers in the area. My rommie's OK so I'll include him in the feast.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    They are probably prevented from seasoning anything because in an institutional setting that usually only extends to salt and pepper. They generally have no further imagination than that. Salt is a no-no in any senior kitchen. Everyone suffers whether they need to avoid salt or not.

    As to the salad ingredients...
    I bet you that they give you all white bread too. Cheap! Cheap!
    The bread is brown but I'd give long odd's it's miles from whole grain. I'll live - and every time I think about living on the streets the food starts tasting lots better.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  8. #38
    Steve: I don't think you'd live long on the streets. The day you got thrown out happened to coincide with a really cold winter storm. I don't understand why you are barred from leaving the premises of the nursing home. I'm just guessing (having worked in hospitals) that with a doctor's order you could sign yourself out for the day. Do the nurses and employees eat the same hospital food? I kind of doubt it.

    Good luck.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

    Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

  9. #39
    I'm going to end up kicking myself for asking this, I just know it.

    Juke, what are you doing to make sure you have a place to go when you're healthy enough to get out of there? That is, of course, assuming you're not planning on staying.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


  10. #40
    Anyone hear from Jukespin recently?
    Daniel

Similar Threads

  1. life insurance vent/gripe
    By Emi2 in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 01:42 AM
  2. Needing to gripe...
    By jccarolina in forum Pain
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 03:01 AM
  3. A really petty gripe, can anyone relate? (m)
    By zillazangel in forum Caregiving
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 09:05 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:27 AM
  5. Site for home modifications ideas
    By Quadrant in forum Web Links
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2002, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •