Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gripe about home site.

Gripe about home site.

This has been bugging me for a few weeks so here goes.

Three weeks ago tomorrow the woman I've been sharing our apt with Elizabeth, (formerly "The Screamer") went to the hospital via ambulance. She'd been ill and suffering for a few weeks and greeted me one early afternoon with a request that I call an ambulance for her. I didn't ask (and she didn't tell) why - just called the police and got transfered to the fire departmant.

The EMTs were speedy and showed up in under five min....but the house manager, Olivia, came barging into our apt. after detaining them at the front of the alley, to first demand that Elizabeth stand up and then actually pulling her out of her chair disregarding her moans and cries and then walking her out of the house and alley to the waiting crew and ride.

Later Olivia came back to "explain" to me how I'd been in error in having failed to call either her or her grandson when my house-mate asked me to call the EMTs. I tried to be pleasant while making more or less conciliatory noises - but it scorched my ass.

Then a few days ago I called the police about an escalating shouting match amongst some of our tenents and had them almost on their way before the combattants cooled down enough to leave off w/o blows; wheather the prospect of being interviewed by the cops figured in on this or not I don't know. But Olivia called me to "correct" my mistaken behavior. I should have called her in this case as well.

Yesterday I talked the first of these two incidents over with three other of our tenents here and they agreed that I'd made the right move and that Olivia had demonstrated a definite lack of compassion and - by treating Elizabeth roughly - had been dangerously self-absorbed. The techs were ready and willing to come into the unit, lift Elizabeth onto a gurney and roll her out to the ambulance. It's their job. But Olivia apparently is paranoid of any official notice coming to the dwellings here and feels herself to be equal to law enforcement and emergancy medical techs for problems arising with her tenents.

Regardless, I intend to continue as I have where emergency problems arrising in this apartment cluster are concerned and if I have to endure a lecture afterward, so be it.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

She is lucky she does not have to deal with me, I would have torn her head off.

Is there something illegal going on there that she wants to keep under wraps? She's scared of something.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    Is there something illegal going on there that she wants to keep under wraps? She's scared of something.
    Don't know for sure - but the guy that did the cooking and maintenance and was in charge of security ("Frosty", just call me "T" )for the first two months I was here was fired and 86ed for drug activity. He was apparently selling crack to tenents, etc.. He was thin as a rail and wound pretty tight.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    The EMTs were speedy and showed up in under five min....but the house manager, Olivia, came barging into our apt. after detaining them at the front of the alley, to first demand that Elizabeth stand up and then actually pulling her out of her chair disregarding her moans and cries and then walking her out of the house and alley to the waiting crew and ride.
    .............. wouldn't this constitute assault?

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    .............. wouldn't this constitute assault?
    Yes, even here in the backwater of The Colonies, that constitutes assault. But Elizabeth has a deathly fear of Olivia and - if she recovers enough from the emergency surgery for an absess behind her liver and the cancer she's had for years - would need a lot of support before she'd feel strong enough to press charges. It's sad.

Thanks for that Timaru.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Maybe the manager is claiming a group home without the proper licenses? She is definitely afraid of official notice isn't she? I would be suspicious of her motives for sure.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Hi Juke! Sorry this happened. It sounds like Olivia is a control freak and thinks everything must be run past her so it can be "sanctioned." Any chance of you getting out of there and into a regular apartment anytime soon?

I am doubting that this is an actual liscensed home. It would be hard to report because it puts u in a situation along with others that they have no place to go. Any reputable place would allow any assistance needed in the doors. To try and do things hush hush is a huge red flag!

Hi Juke. I just said hi in the bread thread.

And if you didn't call & something serious happened you get the blame.
    No thank you. If someone ask for emergency help you get it.
    She didn't ask for Olivia. Is she y'all's mother?