Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gmail chat problems?

gmail chat problems?

I haven't been able to access the chat feature of gmail for the past few days, even trying 5 different browsers. I have tried signing in through the secure gmail site and that doesn't work either. I just keep getting a message saying "chat is disabled." Is anybody else having this issue? Just asking so I can pinpoint if the problem might be my security settings or if it's just email itself.

I have had some weird problems with gmail sometimes, often they can be cleared up by cleaning out the cache and/or cookies. Sometimes it seems I have to do this more than once .... or maybe I just did it wrong the first time? I would expect tho, if that were the problem, switching browsers would avoid it.

Also, when gmail loads, be sure you are loading the standard view, not the html version.

I also just noticed that if you scroll all the way to the end of the page, there is a place to turn off chat. Did perhaps one of your cats click that for you? (I just tried that tho, and don;t get a "disabled" comment, chat just disappears.)

I also had a time when I couldn;t use gmail at all in firefox, only chrome. I don;t remember how I solved that one.

I had noticed you were never there .....

eta, My issue, altho it was different, was cookie related I am pretty sure .... try deleting them, and be sure they are enabled?

(oh, and meant to add, mine is working ok)

And, I know you can google but just in case you missed it, a faq from gmail help forum on chat being disabled
    Last edited by sjean423; 03-26-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post

I also just noticed that if you scroll all the way to the end of the page, there is a place to turn off chat. Did perhaps one of your cats click that for you? (I just tried that tho, and don;t get a "disabled" comment, chat just disappears.)
    Oh my goodness you are a genuis sjean! Apparently I did have the chat turned off Not sure how that happened. I would like to blame the cats but it probably wasn't them but somebody else. Not sure who

And, I know you can google but just in case you missed it, a faq from gmail help forum on chat being disabled.
    Proof that I am not a genuis: I did read that exact faq but apparently I somehow skipped over the part on the the chat being turned off. I tried everything else in the faq though so go figure how I managed to miss the actual section I needed.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-26-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Yeah I might have spoke too soon. The chat came on briefly but then the page refreshed and I got the chat is disabled message again. So that might not have been the issue. Will try your other suggestions.

Well. my cats like to change my computer settings all the time.

I vote for either cookies or java.

I am on gmail now, I will leave it up, so you will know if you are connected.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Hi OJ,

Have you tried the stand alone google talk program? It seems to work better for me than the webmail app..... But I don't have a

I just discovered the video chat on Gmail and I'm loving it. I tried to chat with friends through FB and it kept freezing if I chatted with more than one friend.

The only problem with the video chat that I am encountering is that the person on the other end says my voice is choppy and there is a constant tapping noise (no, I am not typing while chatting). Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rononwheels View Post
    Hi OJ,

Have you tried the stand alone google talk program? It seems to work better for me than the webmail app..... But I don't have a
    I hadn't heard of the google talk program. I just installed it and I like it much better than using the chat feature from within gmail itself. Thanks very much for the suggestion Ron

Well. my cats like to change my computer settings all the time.

I vote for either cookies or java.

I am on gmail now, I will leave it up, so you will know if you are connected.
    Yes my cats have been known to mess up my settings by running across the keyboard of my laptop or most commonly deciding that is the exact spot they need to take a nap Most recently one wrecked my Sims 3 game at a crucial moment by plopping down on the keyboard and freezing up everything.

I first thought it was java too as I kept getting expired security certificates. But you know what the problem was? Somehow the date on my computer got changed to April 2009. So my security software went a bit nuts. I only noticed the problem when I forwarded a file between two of my own email addresses through Outlook and the email showed up as being sent in 2009. I reset it to today's date and lo and behold many other things are working much better as well now. Not sure how that happened my computer got sent to the past. Cats, might be the suspects

Thank you for leaving your chat logged in so I could test. I appreciate it .

Probably the cats. If you double click on the date on the toolbar (Windows XP at least) , it brings up the calendar, and if you click anywhere, you change the date to that date. Mine could manage it.

Although I have to admit doing that myself, when using the calendar to check a date, then clicking OK instead of CANCEL.

Sorry I never noticed your being there!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'd like to point out that I had a problem with Gchat a while back. I get on my Gmail account both at home and at the office, and my office computer would never allow me to sign in to chat for some reason. I got the same mysterious thing that you had reported: it said that I was signed out of chat, even though I had clicked "turn on chat" at the bottom. I thought that it could potentially be the fancy-schmancy firewall at school, but my coworkers had no problem. I never figured it out, but eventually it fixed itself!

I realize this is probably very little help, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and something weird is somehow happening.