Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death of a legend

Sorry to hear Nicole. Sounds like he got the most out of life, and that means he won out
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

well last week me, my bro and SIL went to Jimmy's memorial at The Great American Music Hall. I've been checking the web for some vid because it was taped but so far no luck.

Just in case anyone thought it was going to be a standard memorial the marquee next door advertising Dildo Wars would've changed that assumption. As would the t shirts the staff were wearing at the hall:

Jim Marshall

1936-2010

Leave your guns and knives at the door

The bar was open and the distinct smell of weed floated through the air. Several of his fellow photogaphers spoke, most moving was Baron Wolman. He described the early years when he met jimmy at concerts. Baron would take out his light meter and jim would give him a look and cue him in. Baron said jim had a light meter in his head. He also told a few stories involving jim and guns he or another photog said "Jim made Hunter Thompson look like a Benedictine monk." Jim's lawyer spoke, and I don't mean his intellectual property attorney, he claimed it wasn't true that jim had 2 felonies only one! His son told a story involving jim, a new orleans musician whose name I missed and some made guys that jim drew 2 pistols on. Joan Baez noted jim's irreverance for religion and then sang some song called God is God. That's when we left, don't kill me Baez fans. Oh the assistant he left his very lucrative estate to spoke about jim as her manchild. He was a handful to her but she has the rest of her life to relax in comfort. I guess MS researchers will be getting some big donations [she has it, and has formed a foundation]. The research is a least applicable to us right?

Funny thing happened after he died, one of the older cousins called my mother and offered to contribute to a funeral/burial as they assumed he died penniless! I guess they thought you couldn't possibly make money living as he did.

I found out from a cousin how it is that jim got away with his crazier antics and boy do I wish I could tell you cause it's one heck of a story!

Oh autopsy came in, he died of a heart attack, probably in his sleep. Not a bad way to go eh?
    Last edited by leschinsky; 06-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    well last week me, my bro and SIL went to Jimmy's memorial at The Great American Music Hall. I've been checking the web for some vid because it was taped but so far no luck.

Just in case anyone thought it was going to be a standard memorial the marquee next door advertising Dildo Wars would've changed that assumption. As would the t shirts the staff were wearing at the hall:

Jim Marshall

1936-2010

Leave your guns and knives at the door

The bar was open and the distinct smell of weed floated through the air.

Several of his fellow photogaphers spoke, most moving was Baron Wolman. He described the early years when he met jimmy at concerts. Baron would take out his light meter and jim would give him a look and cue him in. Baron said jim had a light meter in his head. He also told a few stories involving jim and guns he or another photog said "Jim made Hunter Thompson look like a Benedictine monk." Jim's lawyer spoke, and I don't mean his intellectual proptery attorney, he claimed it wasn't true that jim had 2 felonies only one! His son told a story involving jim, a new orleans musician whose name I missed and some made guys that jim drew 2 pistols on. Joan Baez noted jim's irreverance for religion and then sang some song called God is God. That's when we left, don't kill me Baez fans. Oh the assistant he left his very lucrative estate to spoke about jim as her manchild. He was a handful to her but she has the rest of her life to relax in comfort. I guess MS researchers will be getting some big donations [she has it, and has formed a foundation]. The research is a least applicable to us right?

Funny thing happened after he died, one of the older cousins called my mother and offered to contribute to a funeral/burial as they assumed he died penniless! I guess they thought you couldn't possibly make money living as he did.

I found out from a cousin how it is that jim got away with his crazier antics and boy do I wish I could tell you cause it's one heck of a story!

Oh autopsy came in, he died of a heart attack, probably in his sleep. Not a bad way to go eh?

Sounds like quite the event lesch.

I read your cousin's bio on wikipedia while checking out the link to the Baron. Your cousin lived larged. a lot of passion & talent...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Mar...(photographer)

He was quite a guy. Thanks for telling about going to the memorial.

Nicole, sorry to hear... I honestly had never heard of him till I read this thread, but I peeked at a few of the photos, and I have no doubt that I have seen his work before. May he rest in peace, and may your family/his friends be comforted...

Take care and hugs and prayers,

Teena

So sorry for your loss Les.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown