Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Diagnosis'

Arrow Multiple Diagnosis'

Has anyone been diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis, Syringomyelia and tested positive for MS (O-bands showed up positive in spinal tap). Although I have all the symptoms for MS, have not been totally diagnosed with. My neuro has thrown his hands up and I will be going to Johns Hopkins for my first visit there in May. Would love to hear some stories if you have multiple diagnoses and about your first visit to Johns Hopkins. My pain is bad...on 90 mg avinza, 1200 mg gabapentin, and nortriptylene for night. Also, hydrocodone. At this point, my feet feel like cement, my ankles swell, my hips down hurt...deep to the bone. I also have trouble with both arms...elbow down to hands. Have had numbness in left ring finger, pinky, palm since 2008. Any thoughts on this? Is all of this caused by one of these disorders? This is what my neurologist cannot figure out. I've been tested for everything!

Hi I read your other post on this.

I recently met someone with all of these symptoms who had diabetes (severe peripheral neuropathy). I was struck by how similar his situation was to MS (including speech, visual and memory problems), except for his lower leg swelling and discolouration, as diabetes affects blood vessels. Was your test for diabetes a glucose tolerance test, or just a fasting blood glucose?

I've had both tests...I've also had to check my sugar and blood pressure every day for a while but I guess it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it again. Thank you for your reply. Anything would help at this point. Sometimes it's just the little tests that we forget about.

Greer - my husband has MS and has lower leg swelling but I would assume that is mainly because he is not mobile.

I have all of your symptoms. I'm recovering from spinal cord compression of C5-C6. Have you had an MRI of the "cervical" spine? Have you had a Myelogram?

VaVaBoomer

Hi, yes I've had an MRI of cervical region but not a myleogram(?)...what is that?? Here is a quickie of the cervical MRI in January 09...last one I had...oh, and the swelling only happens maybe twice a week...
    mild degenerative character observed at C5-6 greater than C6-C7, including mild non-lateralizing posterior disk bulges and concurrent annual tears. Only the C6-C7 disk bulge may have minimally progressed since 8/08. Negative MRI evaluation of the cervical cord. Thank you so much for your time.

Liz, I had a demylenating brain stem lesion six months prior to my SCI. The SCI was caused by a fractured calcium deposit at T8-9. I have multi-level degenerative disc disease pretty much from neck to tail. I sense that my neuro gets very frustrated at times because it's hard to tell what's causing symptoms at any given time. He has flatly told me that the fact I have an SCI would make it senseless to do a spinal tap...he said the SCI alone would make the results show up abnormal, so would not be helpful in solidifying an MS diagnosis.

If you live in NC...which your name seems to imply...feel free to PM me. I'd be very interested to know who your neurologist is. From what I understand, there are very few good ones in the Charlotte area. The one I see has been practicing a long time and has a very good reputation.

BTW, I have had a CT Myleogram. It involves having dye injected into the spinal column then taking CT quality pictures. It can actually provide some good information. If you have one, make sure to lie flat on your back for as long as they tell you to afterwards. I ended up with a spinal headache after mine...NOT FUN! Good luck!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_Facts
    visit this web site, it's very useful read the selection under Types of Neuropathy "Compressive Neuropathy" pay attention to the mentioning of ulnar neuropathy. Make sure to explore the entire site!

re: message

I will check this site out..thank you all very much. I am just trying to find out everything i can...

where is your syrinx? syringomyelia alone can cause all of the symptoms you mentioned. Have you been to asap.org message board? there is a lot of information on there about all the symptoms people have. I also go to another site called http://www.smawareness.ca/ you will find a lot on both of those sites.