Thread: For non-drivers license holders: How do you insure your vehicle for multiple drivers?

Question For non-drivers license holders: How do you insure your vehicle for multiple drivers?

My brother carries the insurance on my vehicle and He won't let ANYbody else drive it. Problem is, He isn't always available. How do you others without drivers licenses manage this situation? How can I make it so others can drive it?

Thanks In Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    My brother carries the insurance on my vehicle and He won't let ANYbody else drive it. Problem is, He isn't always available. How do you others without drivers licenses manage this situation? How can I make it so others can drive it?

Thanks In Advance.

Technically (and practically), it is the vehicle that is insured, not the drivers. Of course, the insurance company wants to know who the primary driver(s) will be and base the premium on the risk they present. However, every policy I have ever seen covers any covered claim no matter who is driving. For instance, if you lend your car to your neighbor and they get in a wreck - the insurance will still be good. There may be a requirement that the driver has a legal driver's license - but I'm not sure. So, if you own the car and bought the insurance in your own name - you could (if he would agree) list your brother as the primary driver, and occasional other drivers would be covered. If the claim was large, and the insurer could prove that you falsified the application (i.e., your brother was not the primary driver), they would have grounds to contest the claim and drop the insurance.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Thanks FO but they won't sell Me insurance without a driver's license.

That makes no sense. How about if you were a non-driving owner of a flower shop with a delivery van? Got to be a way. Maybe someone in your state can give you a better answer.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

FO- I think that would be considered a commercial insurance policy. I am sure they would insure him commercially if he wanted to insure caregivers to drive him around. Commercial insurance would be much much more though.

oops wrong link....

Gee QV, I live in Oregon too and just switched auto policies and added my son to the policy. He is really struggling now and can't afford a policy of his own. I can afford to pay a little extra and he can't right now.

It is the drivers I got insured, not the vehicle. If you have a driver other than your brother, make sure they have proof of insurance, and they can drive whatever vehicle you want them to. I don't know of any other way it is done in this state.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

But Skippy, aren't there consequences if your son should crash and be found at fault (for example), won't your premiums go up? I'll have to talk again to the insurance company... thanks, and good night all.

QV - here's a site that might help.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/driverid/insurance.shtml

There's some numbers you can call.

Here's some info found on the website...

806.080 Insurance. (1) A motor vehicle liability insurance policy used to comply with financial responsibility requirements under ORS 806.060 must meet all of the following requirements:
    (a) It must be a policy or part of a policy designating, by explicit description or by appropriate reference, all motor vehicles for which coverage is provided by the policy.
    (b) It must insure the named insured and all other persons insured under the terms of the policy against loss from the liabilities imposed by law for damages arising out of the ownership, operation, use or maintenance of those motor vehicles by persons insured under the policy. The policy must include in its coverage all persons who, with the consent of the named insured, use the motor vehicles insured under the policy, except for any person specifically excluded from coverage under ORS 742.450.
    Foolish

You can get insurance like SR-22. I would check into it. Not sure what it would be called in other states. I know i did get insurance when i had no car before because of a court case. I didnt even drive, LOL http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...atis_sr22.html
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton