Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: The Politics of SCI-Question for CC

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,175

    The Politics of SCI-Question for CC

    Why do we constantly argue about conservative vs. liberal issues, call each other names, and make other hateful comments to each other and about various politicians and then, no matter what political party we belong to, blame the politicians for their failure to fund SCI research or otherwise address issues that matter to us?

    Why don't we pay attention to the Politics of SCI, which is important to all of us (conservative and liberal and in the middle), build a consensus among us, and quit playing around?

    I was reading that Senator Reid's wife has an incomplete SCI due to her accident a few weeks ago. Yes, she can walk, but if she has an incomplete SCI her life has been changed forever and she is going to have daily struggles. It isn't going to be long before she, Senator Reid, or some family member is going to find CC. My guess is that Senator Reid's wife, like me, is going to identify strongly with the daily struggles of the SCI community and, like me, is going to admire you all for your strength in dealing with those problems.

    But, we are destructive to our own cause, and we say hateful things about everyone, including the very people who can and are trying to help us. And, we don't put our support behind the very people who can and are trying to help us.

    I see an oppurtunity to have an important and powerful CC friend in the Senate. There is nothing that binds you to a cause like personal experience with the cause. Do you think it is possible for CC to tell Mrs. Reid that we are sorry she needs us, but we are glad she found us, and then perhaps one day have an important friend, or do we want to waste that oppurtunity by calling Senator Reid and everyone else in Washington, as well as ourselves, all kinds of hateful names and by fighting over ideological issues that we are never going to solve and that don't really fundamentally matter to most of us anyway?

    Why can't we start paying attention to the Politics of SCI, find common ground, and try to make some progress? Why can't those of you who are most vocal in your political opinions decide to become polictical leaders within the community and work together to accomplish important things policitally for the CC membership instead of having these daily threads in which you bash each other? I personally don't care what party Senator Reid is in if he can help you, the membership of CC, reach your dreams of a cure through his and his wife's personal experience with this awful health condition.

    Thanks for listening.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Aiken, SC USA
    Posts
    2,124

    Cons and Libs

    For many folks who post on this forum, bashing the other political party is genuine fun. However, it does take a nasty turn when individuals bash each other for no reason other than they disagree with the other's politics.

    From my conservative stance I see more hatred spewed at prominent conservatives than the reverse. For instance Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and others have been targets of vile personal remarks that had nothing to do with their political positions.

    One poster has taken his personal attacks on President Obama way too far. In my opinion, this person and others who take this route should not be allowed to make hate filled posts. It does not serve this forum and CC members well at all.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

  3. #3
    I cannot disagree with what you say.

    Before my accident I enjoyed arguing the political points of the day; and since my argument this has not changed.

    Through (inadvertently) joining this rather exclusive group of people, I have definately gained a different perspective than I had before.

    However, I do not want to be a single-issue political operative. I'll leave that for others.

    [Besides, what I type is read by (say) 9 people; and 5 of those think its rubbish....and tell me so ]

  4. #4
    Senior Member GoTWHeeLs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    From my conservative stance I see more hatred spewed at prominent conservatives than the reverse. For instance Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and others have been targets of vile personal remarks that had nothing to do with their political positions.
    LOL, that's because they're all crazy as shit.

    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

    My Myspace



  5. #5
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    politics comes before cure for many here. ofcourse they wont admit it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,175
    Seems like there are a thousand other places to discuss general politics but only one CC to talk about the politics of getting a cure. My thinking obviously does not match the thinking of the vast majority of CC members.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SKYCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    CINCINNATI,OH.,U.S.
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    Seems like there are a thousand other places to discuss general politics but only one CC to talk about the politics of getting a cure. My thinking obviously does not match the thinking of the vast majority of CC members.
    I come here to forget about SCI, if only for a little bit.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    I come here to forget about SCI, if only for a little bit.
    I get it. Now that I understand, I will just ignore all the complaints about not having a cure and how no one cares and how we get taken advantage of and how they didn't fund the C&D Reeve Act etc. and treat this as merely a social and info forum for a few hundred core members and the hundreds of other new SCIs and others who come and leave CC all of the time.

    I'm glad I asked the question and now understand. I don't like the answer, but I admire the CC membership for their daily and constant courage. Thanks to all.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    I get it. Now that I understand, I will just ignore all the complaints about not having a cure and how no one cares and how we get taken advantage of and how they didn't fund the C&D Reeve Act etc. and treat this as merely a social and info forum for a few hundred core members and the hundreds of other new SCIs and others who come and leave CC all of the time.

    I'm glad I asked the question and now understand. I don't like the answer, but I admire the CC membership for their daily and constant courage. Thanks to all.
    Hey, don't be disappointed.

    There is a (good) reason they created a seperate Politics Forum, and then felt the need to write "Express your views respectfully" at the top.

    For Cure related political activism, discussion can be legitimately had in the "Cure" forum, or "Funding, Legislation and Advocacy" forum.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    Seems like there are a thousand other places to discuss general politics but only one CC to talk about the politics of getting a cure. My thinking obviously does not match the thinking of the vast majority of CC members.
    I try to keep away from the political topics after seeing how ugly it gets. I keep up on news and have opinions, but things have gotten so personal and mean spirited it is depressing. (I am talking about in the "real world") I too was surprised to see so much on a SCI Forum. Suppose it is a slice of life like anything else. At least it is put under Political.

Similar Threads

  1. Politics
    By KIM in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •