Thread: have any of you quads?

have any of you quads?

Are there any quads out there that have gotten rid of the gut?

If so how did you do so?

Are there any of you who just never got one?

Working on it now. Through diet and handcycle. I dropped 20-some lbs last year using weight watchers.

I have always had a gut, not huge but always a pinch or two pre-chair.

I talked to my dr about it and he said do not use my stomach to judge weight loss, you will always have some form of a gut. Might not be fat, it is just the way a quads stomach is- no muscle tone what so ever.

I have given up pop, diet and sugar. Used to drink beer 4-5 days a week, that is down to 1-2 every 3-4 months. Cut out HFCS as much as possible. Use honey for sweetening and hve cut down my portions. And always seem to be cutting vegetables.

I peaked at 239, sitting (ha-ha) at 205 looking to hit 165-170.

I'm also giving it a good ol' try.
    Had to bag a load of trousers coz they went too tight on me!

Haven't had cake/chocolate/biscuits since Feb 5th. Eating smaller meals, snacking on low fat crackers etc.
    I daren't break the run I'm on now,the will power gets stronger the longer you abstain I've found, I'd feel so bad if I had some cake now!

Think I've lost a little bit, trousers seem looser round the waist and I've just bought a Wii for exercise. It's going to be along term process, I'm going for it! lol

Good luck!

its a double edged sword. my gut is considerably smaller but i would never want it gone again. you will be amazed how much the gut helps a quad w/ balance, short sitting, long sitting, dressing, transfers etc. whjen i had that staph an lost 50lbs my balance was shot due to no gut. no gut plus no tri's = difficult life. watch what u wish for
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

^^I hear that. I know that no matter how much weight I lose I will always have a gut.^^
    Last edited by Skogy; 03-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    its a double edged sword. my gut is considerably smaller but i would never want it gone again. you will be amazed how much the gut helps a quad w/ balance, short sitting, long sitting, dressing, transfers etc. whjen i had that staph an lost 50lbs my balance was shot due to no gut. no gut plus no tri's = difficult life. watch what u wish for
    never had a gut except when pg now i have a gut and i am very self conuious of it i do sit ups in my chair and they don/t seem to help i go as far forward hold it then come back up
    i hate the way i look

I had a gut when I was using baclofen. As I weaned off the baclofen my gut was getting smaller and smaller. I turned my baclofen pump off last October and now, months later I continue to get new muscles and feelings showing up that used to be "masked" by the baclofen. And my gut is gone.

Spasms and weird neuro feelings are a part of everyday life. I look at it as something to work through while busting my ass skiing, handbiking, swimming and such. I like being able to sit up taller using the muscles that used to be knocked out by the medication.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Westley View Post
    Are there any quads out there that have gotten rid of the gut?

If so how did you do so?

Are there any of you who just never got one?
    Yo Westly I found this online its stems from the Estim unit idea but hey could give it a shot, still saving for one so couldnt tell if youd see results but putting some thought into it I strongly assume youd see shrinkage.

http://www.theflexbelt.com/
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

My son has been injured 2 years and never got a gut. He is 20 yrs old (which probably helps) and lost 20 pounds after his injury and kept it off. He weighs 145 and has maintained the same weight the entire time. He works out at Project Walk three times a week. He is a C-5 but has a very strong core and can engage his ab muscles. Also riding the FES bike has kept his legs strong and muscular. It has also given him his butt back...amazing machine.
    Luke 5:24