Thread: New SCI question...

Exclamation New SCI question...

...I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

A friend of mine's just had a fall on Sunday (I'm typing this on Tuesday). The details are very vague and I'm not sure what level was affected or if anything was lost sensation or mobility wise.

My question is whether or not there's any type of treatment (clinical or otherwise) that I may suggest to them once the details become clearer? For what it's worth he's in CT.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sorry, oops, I was talking about methylprednisolone, just noticed the days - and if they haven't done it already I believe it's too late for that treatment now.

Both methylprednisilone and spinal cord cooling are treatments that must occur immediately after the injury (with a few hours, the same day), and they are not indicated nor done days post injury.

At this point, the best thing is to find out where your friend is, and if he is not in a major SCI center, and has actual cord damage, urge him and his family to get moved to one ASAP. Do you know if he is insured? A military veteran? How old?

If he is paralyzed, then being sure that everything is being done correctly to prevent pressure ulcers is critical right now.

See if you can get some more information, or urge his family to come here and post so we can help them out at this critical time.

(KLD)

Thanks for the feedback. Details are very vague but I know it's lower L 5ish. I've offered my resources an knowledge as a C-5 but it's overwhelming to see what your life could be with all the uncertainty...