Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica Dosage

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Doctors have no experience with SCI-related neuro pain here.
    It is really hard to find doctors who are experienced with sci related neuro pain, it is very different than other neuro pain.

I take 400-500mg a day, I take 200mg in the morning, and another 200mg in the late afternoon. If needed I take the last 100mg in the evening. Luckily for me, my doctor IS experienced in sci pain, and under his advice I have experimented with the dosing. I started on a lower dose, and we slowly increased it, and played around as to when the doses were taken. This is what works best for me. But I definitely find that it works as a rescue or breakthrough drug as well as one that has to be taken all the time. I also, understand from my doctor that I am not at the maximum dose possible for SCI related neuro pain.

There is a thread here about using it for breakthrough pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    The official maximum dose is 100mg 3 times per day. But as the previous poster said, it is prescribed in higher doses. You just have to watch out for side effects.

The thing is, it sounds like you're treating Lyrica like a "rescue" medication - taking it every four hours, and hoping it has an immediate effect on your pain. While some people say that does work for them, the "official" take on it is that it is to be taken regularly, and have the effects build up. The schedule you're taking it on may contribute to the nights being worse.

Generally it's taken 3 times per day - i.e. every 8 hours. The way you're dosing it, I think it would probably wear off at night.

If I were a doctor (which I am NOT however) I'd probably suggest taking it every 8 hours, and increasing the dose gradually until it either worked or you had intolerable side effects. So take 100mg every 8 hours for a few weeks (preferably a month), if not good enough take 150mg every 8 hours, etc.

I don't think hardly anyone would tolerate more than 200mg 3 times a day (I've not heard of people taking more than that - someone can contradict me if they do)

I don't think Lyrica pills are meant to be split either - I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think so.
    Tam, I have to point out to you, that the use of Lyrica for SCI related pain is different than typically prescribed. If I am correct you don;t have any experience with this type of pain? I am not trying to downplay you husbands pain, just pointing out that your advice is coming from the same
    no experience with SCI-related neuro pain
    place that the op has questioned. Not saying that it is worse, just that it is different.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I understand it seems to work as a rescue/breakthrough med for some people (can't open that thread just now for some reason, but that was what I was remembering). I believe some people on the forum also take it regularly (3x per day also). Several on this thread have said so.

However, the op has been using it split up in doses during the day, and is having a lot of pain at night. So it isn't working for him at the moment. So trying something different might work better for him. Or it might not.

But if he has a lot of pain at night, and there's no Lyrica dose at night (which is what I think I make of his schedule), whether it's considered more of a rescue med or building up a level, it would seem to make sense to try to take it in a way that would cover the night. Perhaps even take a higher dose at bedtime.

It would obviously be much better if he had a good pain management doc there to figure it out - but as he doesn't, seems his best option is to experiment unfortunatly.

Up to him and his doctor of course, it's just a thought.

My husband doesn't take Lyrica btw. Whether or not his cord may be injured is undetermined at this point.

Dave takes 150 3X a day. When he increased form 100mg it made a huge difference.
    I think it would be hard to split the capsules.

Neo, is there a reason you are currently taking Lyrica 4 times per day?

I mean - when you were taking it 3 times per day did you get pain before it was time for your next dose, and decided to take it more often?

Or did you have pain all the time, and going to 4 times just the easiest way to increase the total amount?

If you were taking it 3 times per day (I'm saying every 8 hours here, for discussion) and it seemed to "wear off" before the next dose then it may be working better for you to take it more often (although I understand not well enough).

But, a higher dose, even back at 3 times per day might work better - hard to say.

Do you think your pain is worse at night because the Lyrica is "wearing off" - or has it just always been that way? Obviously waking up in the middle of the night to take another dose would not be fun.

I saw you said you are coming to the US - that's great. I hope you have a great vacation if that's what you're doing, or rehab, and/or meet up with some good docs. If you're looking for a pain management doc in the US, I'd really suggest you try to get some suggestions from people - some are far better than others. Some won't even prescribe pain meds to anyone. There are some very good ones, but you have to choose carefully.

I edited my earlier post. I misread and made a mistake - for some indications the maximum label dose is 300mg per day. For others, the maximum label dose is 600mg per day.

Regardless of what they're prescribing it for, docs could certainly go up to the 600 per day, if the person tolerates it.

I apologize for causing any confusion.

Neo, nice to see you post again. How are you doing? I was concerned about you last post.

I tried Lyrica for extreme neuropathic pain (SCI-c7/c8) but it did not work for me. Too many side-effects... (I was allergic to it)..

TAM, is your husband paralysed? I am confused, as in the past several months during your many entries, I thought you claimed he does not have a mobility impairment? You also do not have a SCI. You were not sure if he had Lyme disease, now you question cord damage?

Good luck to you Neo, sorry cannot help with dosage ideas...
    Last edited by med100; 03-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Sorry for my late reply, I haven't been online all day.

Well let's see, when I say split I didn't mean literally split the capsule, I was actually referring to the number of times I take it a day. That totally came out wrong and I can see why some people might have misinterpreted my post.

Well I was trying to find out how much you guys are taking and what would bee too much. I understand now that it's OK if I tried to up the dose a little bit and see if it helps. Since some of you are taking a lot more than I'm getting at the moment. I don't like to play with drugs and I didn't want to OD.

It's nice to see that some of you have got off it. I wish I could. I rely on Lyrica to function since my pain gets intolerable at times!

I don't feel that Lyrica acts immediately, I'm lucky if the pain got better in an hour. Lately the pain got really worse and that's why I added another dose at night, but that didn't help so I would like to increase the dose.

Every 8 hours now would be torture. I'm awake about 14-15 hours and I sleep between 9-10 hours. So that's why I take a pill every 4 hours. Maybe if I increased the dose I wouldn't need it as often as I do.

Tam, I take it 4x because of the pain I get at night. I wake up at noon (LOL no mornings for my lazy ass) and then take a pill. Just when it's time for my next dose the pain starts to increase until it reaches the maximum at about 9 pm. All of the pills that I take in between don't work at all, at least I think so because the pain is too much I'm afraid of stopping and finding out that it's actually even worse without the med.

Thanks, I'm coming to the US for rehab, hopefully at Shepherd in Atlanta, GA. I will be looking for some good doctors because I will need some things done there and one of them is my pain. I will definitely get suggestions here before doing anything.

med100, Thanks man, I'm doing good and hopefully that episode is gone for good.

I think I'll go to 150mg 3x a day and see if that helps. Hopefully that'll give me some relief.

Guys, when you say side effects from Lyrica, what do you mean ? aside from allergies what are some of the side effects you're experiencing ?

Thanks Neo - I think I misunderstood a little. I thought the pain was bad at night, while you were trying to sleep. So if I understand correctly, you sleep ok through the night, wake up and it isn't bad, but it increases throughout the day.

So my idea of needing more at bedtime probably isn't right.

I'd think there would likely not be harm in trying to take more - at what intervals, seems you and your doc may just have to experiment and see what works. If you take bigger doses 3 times a day - it may help. It's also possible you'd notice it not lasting until it's time for the next dose. Then, you and your doc would have to figure out how to adjust it.

Whatever you do, do not suddenly stop taking Lyrica. If you were to stop, you'd have to taper off gradually - otherwise you risk having seizures.

It can have various side effects. I've heard people often complain about mental fogginess, weight gain, and perhaps swlling in the limbs. If you go to their website, it should list all the side effects. Of course, most people don't get most of the side effects, they just have to list all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by med100 View Post
    TAM, is your husband paralysed? I am confused, as in the past several months during your many entries, I thought you claimed he does not have a mobility impairment? You also do not have a SCI. You were not sure if he had Lyme disease, now you question cord damage?
    No, I have never said my husband was paralysed. I have also never "claimed" that he does not have a mobility impairment. He does walk - just with some problems. He is undiagnosed - many things are still possibilities.

Of course I don't have an SCI, never said I did. Thankfully, I am healthy - very lucky in that regard.

But this is somewhat off-topic from Neo's thread, I've posted many things elsewhere about my husband's problems and search for diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    No, I have never said my husband was paralysed. I have also never "claimed" that he does not have a mobility impairment. He does walk - just with some problems. He is undiagnosed - many things are still possibilities.

Of course I don't have an SCI, never said I did. Thankfully, I am healthy - very lucky in that regard.

But this is somewhat off-topic from Neo's thread, I've posted many things elsewhere about my husband's problems and search for diagnosis.
    Not really off-topic, considering the OP ....

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post

Anyway, what I did was tell my doctor about the medication and he just prescribed it for me. Doctors have no experience with SCI-related neuro pain here.

<snip>

What do you guys recommend. I know I shouldn't get medical advice from a forum, but you're experiencing what I have so you're the closest thing I can get at the moment.
    I think Med100 was just trying to clarify whether your information came from any experience with a sci (sorry if I am mis-interpreting you Med100)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005