Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica Dosage

Lyrica Dosage

Hi guys,

I've been using Lyrica for a couple of years now. It has been way better than Neurontin for me as the latter didn't work at all.

Anyway, what I did was tell my doctor about the medication and he just prescribed it for me. Doctors have no experience with SCI-related neuro pain here.

The thing is that I started with 75mg 3 times daily. That worked for a year or so. Lately I have been having more severe pain and upped it to 4x a day and it doesn't help at all.

I don't feel any side effects that I know of. I do feel like shit constantly but I think that is due to other factors.

I'm not sure if I should up the dose or not ? I usually tolerate meds fine and hardly have any side effects with any of them.

I have a sample of 150mg Lyrica. I'm intrigued to up it and see what happens. When I wake up the pain is normal and 75mg would work. I usually split my 4 doses every 4 hours or so. At night I get the most pain and then my 75mg doses don't help at all.

What do you guys recommend. I know I shouldn't get medical advice from a forum, but you're experiencing what I have so you're the closest thing I can get at the moment. I will get the pain issue looked at while am at the states for sure. That should be real soon.

Thanks in advance forum.

- Neo

When you say you split your doses, are you breaking tablets in half? I've only found Lyrica in capsules.

All I can say is that the best plan I've found is to start with 50mg pills in the morning and ramp up to 100mg pills in the afternoon/evening. But like you I always have pain in the evenings no matter how much Lyrica I take. I'd say it isn't helping but if I skip a dose I'm burning in hell for 6-8 hours, but that's probably withdrawal.

I take 200 mg three times a day and I think the dose could be increased. But there are side effects so I balance those against the pain and stick with the current dose, for now. I have no doubt that the Lyrica dulls my burning pain.

The official maximum dose is 600mg per day. Some people tolerate that much, others get intolerable side effects.

The thing is, it sounds like you're treating Lyrica like a "rescue" medication - taking it every four hours, and hoping it has an immediate effect on your pain. While some people say that does work for them, the "official" take on it is that it is to be taken regularly, and have the effects build up. The schedule you're taking it on may contribute to the nights being worse.

Generally it's taken 3 times per day - i.e. every 8 hours. The way you're dosing it, I think it would probably wear off at night.

If I were a doctor (which I am NOT however) I'd probably suggest taking it every 8 hours, and increasing the dose gradually until it either worked or you had intolerable side effects. So take 100mg every 8 hours for a few weeks (preferably a month), if not good enough take 150mg every 8 hours, etc.

I don't think hardly anyone would tolerate more than 200mg 3 times a day (I've not heard of people taking more than that - someone can contradict me if they do)

I don't think Lyrica pills are meant to be split either - I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by TAM63; 03-23-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Made a mistake, maximum dose was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    The official maximum dose is 100mg 3 times per day.

I don't think Lyrica pills are meant to be split either - I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think so.
    I the UK the maximum is 600mg/day split into 2 or 3 doses.
    Lyrica come only in capsules filled with white powder so although splitting them is totally safe I can't see much of a benefit!
    [IMG]file:///Users/Mememe/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

When I was in the hosp. after paral. dr's said "oh, hell we can go ALOT higher on that"was at 150 mg then, went up to 375 and all got REAL better, fast! But I weaned myself down to 2 ea 75 mg a day then off it, for weight gaining. Good luck, it was alot better than the neurontin.

Neo,
    I was on 150 mg. of Lyrica three times a day and my body just got used to it and the pain was always there. I have come off of slowly and really no pain difference. It is hard to figure out because we could all have the same level of injury but we are so different in the way our bodies react to drugs.
    I had a great down to earth doctor where we came off of all drugs and then tried one at a time to see what the effects were. That helped a lot. When you are taking four or five who really knows what's working. I pray you find your answers and your pain disappears.

Well, my doctor tells me that Lyrica does have some immediate effect once you get it built into your bloodstream, and the side effects also are higher right after you take the dose. Sometimes I take 200 every 8 hours but if I can stand it I try to take the larger dose (400) later in the evening. This helps manage the side effects and also lets me sleep a little better. I didn't realize 600 mg was the max dose, so sorry. Now I don't know what I will do if my neuropathic/central pain gets worse....

Sorry, I don't mean to worry you. The max dose is the max dose on the label. That's the "official" maximum dose. When I know it, I try to mention it because it is a guideline.

That doesn't mean doctors cannot prescribe more than that. They can, and often do. Please don't worry yet

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Sorry, I don't mean to worry you. The max dose is the max dose on the label. That's the "official" maximum dose. When I know it, I try to mention it because it is a guideline.

That doesn't mean doctors cannot prescribe more than that. They can, and often do. Please don't worry yet
    Well worry was too strong a word. I guess I already know the pain meds will have to be adjusted and changed from time to time the rest of my life.

Thank you!