Thread: Seizure without altered consciousness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seizure without altered consciousness?

As background, my husband has had several seizures and/or seizure-like events in the recent past.

One appeared to be a classic absence seizure, with an arm tremor. One appeared to be a grand mal. EEGs have always been normal so far.

Yesterday, he had a seizure in the waiting room for his physical therapy evaluation - what a way to make an entrance. It does rather cut down on the witing time to see the therapist however *black humor*. This was another brief absence seizure with some tremors. He had neck spasms in waves at the end and following the seizure. Like previous times, his pupils were dilated.

The event I'm really asking about however, is a slightly different one. He had two episodes one day last week, one lasting about 4-5 minutes and one a couple of minutes. His legs started to tremor, then his arms and most of the rest of him joined in. A pretty strong tremor. His eyes had a slightly upward gaze, one more than the other. His pupils appeared dilated after the events, but were equal and reactive.

However - there was no altered consciousness, no altered mental status at all. He was conversing coherantly with me the whole time, and remembered the whole thing.

Can those last episodes be seizures?

Holy crap TAM, just doesn't stop. Sorry about Mayo.

could this be spasticity of some sort?
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

He might be having simple partial seizures. They can cause spasms and strange sensations without the loss of consciousness. Most people who get simple partial seizures remember everything during the seizure. If you go to www.efa.org, they have all sorts of information on seizures and tests for them.

Has he seen a neurologist for these episodes? If they are happening frequently, keep a record of when they occur and what you were doing prior to the episode. I had to do this for a while before I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder, because all my EEG tests came back normal (which is very common, even for people with epilepsy).

Jessie
    (spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)

Absolutely, they sound like seizures.
    CWO

Thanks guys. I certainly thought they were seizures.

He's had quite a few neurologists - they were wierd. lol I think all neurologists are wierd. We're seeing another one tomorrow - one of our docs swears she isn't weird. Hopefully she might even have an idea re. what could be wrong. We'll see

Honestly, I am so aggravated - everyone keeps trying to tell me these things aren't seizures. At the university, the RN who witnessed it said it was a grand mal. The critical care doc decided it was impressive enough to call the code team. Because an EEG was normal, the neuro said he probably just fainted. Did I mention neuros are wierd?

This time w/o any altered mental state, the doc said he didn't think it was a seizure because he was talking ok. So that one I wondered about.

I must look like a nut, whenever he starts to do something weird or seize, I immediately grab the little video recorder out of my purse. Maybe I look crazy, but if they actually see the events perhaps they'll stop thinking he's just fainting (sigh).

Bill, I think it's more than spasticity, at least in some of these. At least one looked like the videos I've seen of grand mal. And the others are pretty violent tremors, and most involve loss of consciousness.

Yes, I am 100% thoroughly frustrated!