Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: fyi: Münchausen by Internet

Tam, I think the piece that you're missing here is that while no child is harmed as a target, the audience is. All those people that buy in and become invested are harmed. There is absolutely nothing harmless about this type of hoax. But, like you, I'm glad that as sick as these people are, they are not causing physical harm to children.

Oh, I'm not missing it at all - I completely agree with you about the emotional harm to the audience. I've been burned on the net before, even by this one somewhat. And I agree with all of the points people have made about the ways it can cause harm. I don't discount any of that.

I just think physical harm of a child is worse. That's all. RDF said it perfectly.

No one is disagreeing with you about children Tam.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I've been trying to remember the name of this movie since this thread started. Eureka!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nig...ner_%28film%29

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I've been trying to remember the name of this movie since this thread started. Eureka!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nig...ner_%28film%29
    Good movie, and apropos to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
    I think a lot of the people posting in the "Truth" thread demonstrate just how hurtful this can be and how right you are here Jen.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I think it's worse, too. People using the Internet know in the back of their minds no matter how close they become to someone via the Internet, the other person could be full of BS. So I don't think people give their whole to others they haven't met, or talked with extensively on the telephone. Sure, it's harmful, but I think we're all aware that the possibility for deception is huge when we interact only by text.
    Apparently some of us did not know that, or were trusting to the point of absurdity. Me, I am talking about......I assumed someone here was exactly as he said he was, and I grew to care about him, worry about him, and made efforts to send him cards on a regular basis. Now I find out this is maybe all a hoax. The sad part, beyond the horrible sadness I am feeling in general, is wondering if I will ever bother myself again to care that much.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Todd, fret not, my son. Teh Ghey is curable. I saw it on the 700 Club!
    I though I was going to say something clever to le todd's post, but you made me forget what I was going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    Knightrider is not the guy - this is why we need to be careful if things like this happen.

I know KR in person. He rarely posts because he's too busy with his real and hot girlfriend.
    Darklighter, sorry, that dude who pretended to o.d and it was Bs. and he pretended to be his girlfriend breaking the news of his death.
    Last edited by jody; 03-24-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: corrected name

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Apparently some of us did not know that, or were trusting to the point of absurdity. Me, I am talking about......I assumed someone here was exactly as he said he was, and I grew to care about him, worry about him, and made efforts to send him cards on a regular basis. Now I find out this is maybe all a hoax. The sad part, beyond the horrible sadness I am feeling in general, is wondering if I will ever bother myself again to care that much.
    Eileen: I am so sorry and my heart breaks for your very kind and hurting heart. I do hope that you do not let this one incidence keep you from caring ever again. Many here value you as a friend.
    Every day I wake up is a good one