Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: fyi: Münchausen by Internet

I don't think any one is disagreeing with you Tam. I believe the poster was being ironic in stating that a person who made up a story on the internet of being a caregiver and posting stories of that non-existent person's life and death struggles would be Munchausen's Syndrome by Internet by Proxy. Sad to think it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    True.

But the terms "Munchausen Syndrome" and "Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy" are psychiatric disorders - and I believe the definitions I gave are essentially correct.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806735-overview

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

In 1995, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV) included a definition for factitious disorder by proxy, which is now the accepted psychiatric category for MSBP. The definition includes the following:

1. Intentional production or feigning of physical or psychological signs or symptoms in another person who is under the individual's care.
    2. The motivation for the perpetrator's behavior is to assume the sick role by proxy.
    3. External incentives for the behavior, such as economic gain, avoiding legal responsibility, or improving physical well-being, are absent.

OK right, I agree - sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, it is sad - whatever's going on with people who do that, I suspect something is quite wrong in their life, if that's what they want to devote their time and energy too. It's less harmful than the real thing of course (no one's physically hurt), but certainly hurts people's feelings - and what a waste of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I don't think any one is disagreeing with you Tam. I believe the poster was being ironic in stating that a person who made up a story on the internet of being a caregiver and posting stories of that non-existent person's life and death struggles would be Munchausen's Syndrome by Internet by Proxy. Sad to think it can happen.
    Exactly Jen.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

OK right, I agree - sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, it is sad - whatever's going on with people who do that, I suspect something is quite wrong in their life, if that's what they want to devote their time and energy too. It's less harmful than the real thing of course (no one's physically hurt), but certainly hurts people's feelings - and what a waste of energy.
    I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.

I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
    I agree. Emotional manipulation and harm is not to be dismissed or discounted in comparison to physical harm.

And it saddens me that these situations can hurt the very people who need help the most, as once deceived once, some people are less apt to offer help in the future. So not only are community members feeling betrayed, they become less willing to believe other new members.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Oh I agree, it is still harmful. All I meant was - Munchausen by Proxy people often actually physically injure their children. I do see that as worse. It's all bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Yes, it's called a penis (a closeted joke).

OMG I finally got one LOL!!!! A joke that is not a penis
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I think it's worse, too. People using the Internet know in the back of their minds no matter how close they become to someone via the Internet, the other person could be full of BS. So I don't think people give their whole to others they haven't met, or talked with extensively on the telephone. Sure, it's harmful, but I think we're all aware that the possibility for deception is huge when we interact only by text.
    Oh I agree, it is still harmful. All I meant was - Munchausen by Proxy people often actually physically injure their children. I do see that as worse. It's all bad though.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!