Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: making homemade bread

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Wesley, that was exciting and logical with the explanation. No specific recipies though. I'll do a few searches and am sure I'll come up with something useful that I can add quinoa ("keen wah" to.
    Here are a few to check-out and modify a bit:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,184,...230196,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,...243202,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,174,1...243202,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...230192,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,1...230197,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,1...231196,00.html

Just be sure you are searching for "no knead yeast bread" or you will end up with nothing but a lot of quick bread recipes. Not the same at all.

(KLD)

I found the recipe for the banana bread.
    Mix 1/2 cup of melted butter with 1/2 cup of maple syrup.
    Add (optional: 2 eggs, slightly whipped), 3 ripe bananas squeezed with a fork, juice of 1 lemon.
    Into all this you mix 1 cup of quinoa flour, 1 cup of corn flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
    Pour this into a buttered cake pan and bake at 375 degree for 45 minutes.

Yes, that is a quick bread (batter, not dough) recipe. Tons of those out there, but that is not a yeast bread.

(KLD)

Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest
    There are 2 types of whole wheat flour - pastry, and normal. Pastry usually gives alighter loaf.

bread

I make the "Artisan bread in five minutes a day" from the cookbook. It's awesome. Requires very little effort.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I've tried for years to make crispy bread and finally found an almost fool proof recipe. I got it from America's Test Kitchen (I saw it on PBS and also got the recipe from their website). It's based on Mark Bittman's almost no knead recipe that they tweak a bit.

For the crispiness the key is to bake it in a dutch oven (I bought a Le Crueset). You pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees and put your dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes with the cover on. You place your bread dough in the dutch oven after its preheated for 30 minutes (with parchment paper) and turn the oven down to 425. Bake for 25 minutes with the cover on then remove the cover and bake another 20 minutes or until the bread reaches about 210 degree with an instant read thermometer.

The steam from the dutch oven is what gives the bread its crispiness. I've tried other recipes and have gotten the same results w.r.t. crispy bread by using the dutch oven.

Note: If you have a LeCrueset make certain you replace the knob. I read on America's Test Kitchen where they had a tendency to explode at 500 degrees believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I've tried for years to make crispy bread and finally found an almost fool proof recipe. I got it from America's Test Kitchen (I saw it on PBS and also got the recipe from their website). It's based on Mark Bittman's almost no knead recipe that they tweak a bit.

For the crispiness the key is to bake it in a dutch oven (I bought a Le Crueset). You pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees and put your dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes with the cover on. You place your bread dough in the dutch oven after its preheated for 30 minutes (with parchment paper) and turn the oven down to 425. Bake for 25 minutes with the cover on then remove the cover and bake another 20 minutes or until the bread reaches about 210 degree with an instant read thermometer.

The steam from the dutch oven is what gives the bread its crispiness. I've tried other recipes and have gotten the same results w.r.t. crispy bread by using the dutch oven.

Note: If you have a LeCrueset make certain you replace the knob. I read on America's Test Kitchen where they had a tendency to explode at 500 degrees believe it or not.
    Thanks to everyone for these suggestions. My prob. with the above recipe is that it seems you've got to sacrafice any "normal" bread shape to the dutch oven shape - unless you can put a regular shaped pan in the dutch oven. I suppose I could live with the odd shape for the fine crust though. I'm in the middle of moving again so I'll have to put the tests on hold until I settle in at the new place. Thanks again.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Thanks to everyone for these suggestions. My prob. with the above recipe is that it seems you've got to sacrafice any "normal" bread shape to the dutch oven shape - unless you can put a regular shaped pan in the dutch oven. I suppose I could live with the odd shape for the fine crust though. I'm in the middle of moving again so I'll have to put the tests on hold until I settle in at the new place. Thanks again.
    You can do this with a ceramic bread pan and either several layers of heavy duty foil or something heavy, flat and heat proof (like a small baking stone) for a lid. The foil can be difficult to secure over the hot pan, though. The point is getting something heavy that will really hold heat, and not allowing any moisture to escape - the dough's own moisture steams the crust, creating that distinctive texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    You can do this with a ceramic bread pan and either several layers of heavy duty foil or something heavy, flat and heat proof (like a small baking stone) for a lid. The foil can be difficult to secure over the hot pan, though. The point is getting something heavy that will really hold heat, and not allowing any moisture to escape - the dough's own moisture steams the crust, creating that distinctive texture.
    With a little trouble this seems like an excellent solution, Katja. If I had someplace better than the streets to live, I could try it out.

Thanks.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane