Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: making homemade bread

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    I'm wondering if anybody'd tell me of their experiences with making (or trying to make) bread kneeding it by hand.
    Flour your hands & surface well. Plop dough on surface. Use the heals of your hands to push the dough down & away from you. Fold in half and turn slightly. Push down & away again. Fold in half, turn slightly, push down & away. Continue until dough surface looks shiny. It's ready to bake. I usually smear a small amount of crisco on top if the loaves before baking to make crust a bit crispy.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    Flour your hands & surface well. Plop dough on surface. Use the heals of your hands to push the dough down & away from you. Fold in half and turn slightly. Push down & away again. Fold in half, turn slightly, push down & away. Continue until dough surface looks shiny. It's ready to bake. I usually smear a small amount of crisco on top if the loaves before baking to make crust a bit crispy.
    Hey flicka. H just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nPLsaMaGyM and feel ready to make some bread - or to return to breadmaking w/o a mixer. I picked up some raw sugar today for the project as I abhor refined sugar and don't feel right to spend what it costs $$$ on something as nice as blackstrap molasses. Anywho, the Lahey no-kneed method is so basic it usen no sweetener.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-26-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    See this previous thread about breadmaking here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ht=knead+bread

KLD
    Thanks KLD. I tried the thread but the link limits to the first ten posts. Useful anyway.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    hey juke
    Mark Bittman, the New York Times food writer, did this article on making bread without kneading. I haven't tried it, but I like a lot of his recipes. Check out the video he does to accompany the article.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html
    Wesley, that was exciting and logical with the explanation. No specific recipies though. I'll do a few searches and am sure I'll come up with something useful that I can add quinoa ("keen wah" to.
    J.B.S.Haldane

OK, I'm taking the coward's way here but my searches lead either to books of to lengthy recipies: will anyone post a no-kneed whole-grain of mostly whole-grain recipe. I've got lots of quinoa I can mill for some loaves and am champing at the bit to get started here.
    J.B.S.Haldane

I'm not into making bread, except for one try decades ago to make a couple of rolls with sprouted wheat flower, sprouting and drying and grinding the wheat myself. It was fun and delicious but way too much work. When you mentioned quinoa I remembered the banana bread I often made with a mix of quinoa and corn flower. If you are interested I could look if I can find the recipe. Don't know if I kept it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Regine View Post
    I'm not into making bread, except for one try decades ago to make a couple of rolls with sprouted wheat flower, sprouting and drying and grinding the wheat myself. It was fun and delicious but way too much work. When you mentioned quinoa I remembered the banana bread I often made with a mix of quinoa and corn flower. If you are interested I could look if I can find the recipe. Don't know if I kept it though.
    Regine, sure; find and post the recipe if possible. It would be appreciated.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hi Juke! I couldn't believe it when I saw your name by a post.
    How are you? Still into cooking, eating good food I see.
    Hope all is well with you! Post more often. Mona

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    mmmmm bread!
    and a little butter, yum yum
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I made Bannana/Walnut bread last night, was really yummy with butter this morning and a cup of coffee.

no kneading involved. Although I have made bread with kneading involved. I think as long as you start with a good bread recipe the kneading by hand is easy and doesnt take much. I am not an expert but I just put flour on the hands and push it arounda bit and it seems to work. I am trying to get a recipe from my mom that is a 7 grain or a 5 grain recipe and is amazing. I will post it as soon as I get it from her.
    Last edited by medic1; 03-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.