Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: making homemade bread

making homemade bread

There was a time when I loved making my own bread. I had a handy German mixer I'd picked up for a few bucks at a thrift store and I'd stock up on seeds and nuts to add crunch and taste and go nutz. I was never really happy with the gluten development though; it was either underdeveloped or torn and the result was a dense loaf. I tried doing the final kneeding by hand but that wasn't satisfactory either. Fortunately, I lilke dense bread.

I'm wondering if anybody'd tell me of their experiences with making (or trying to make) bread kneeding it by hand. I just picked up some whole wheat flour at the market yester and would like to get cracking w some ww bread wo any mixing tools.

Thx.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    There was a time when I loved making my own bread. I had a handy German mixer I'd picked up for a few bucks at a thrift store and I'd stock up on seeds and nuts to add crunch and taste and go nutz. I was never really happy with the gluten development though; it was either underdeveloped or torn and the result was a dense loaf. I tried doing the final kneeding by hand but that wasn't satisfactory either. Fortunately, I lilke dense bread.

I'm wondering if anybody'd tell me of their experiences with making (or trying to make) bread kneeding it by hand. I just picked up some whole wheat flour at the market yester and would like to get cracking w some ww bread wo any mixing tools.

Thx.
    We make all our own bread, no machine.

If you don't have someone to show you, and you're using a lot of whole grains as well, go to the library and get a copy of "Laurel's Bread Book" and go through the chapter "A Loaf for Learning".

The authors describe exactly what should happen during kneading in excruciating detail - it's very useful.

See this previous thread about breadmaking here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ht=knead+bread

KLD

hey juke
    Mark Bittman, the New York Times food writer, did this article on making bread without kneading. I haven't tried it, but I like a lot of his recipes. Check out the video he does to accompany the article.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    hey juke
    Mark Bittman, the New York Times food writer, did this article on making bread without kneading. I haven't tried it, but I like a lot of his recipes. Check out the video he does to accompany the article.
    my husband makes the nyt/bittman recipe all the time and apparently the less you knead it, the better. there are several variations too, so
    you can have some variety.
    i like to make irish brown soda bread, it's a quick bread, meaning no yeast, no rising. also not much kneading required. it makes a nice, dense crusty bread. here's the recipe i use:

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 cup bread flour
    • 1/3 cup rolled oats
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 1/4 cups buttermilk (tip: You can add 2 tsp. white vinegar to regular milk to make a faux buttermilk, or use
    • 1 cup. milk mixed with 1 c. yogurt. )

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of flour and of oats on a baking sheet.
    2. In a large bowl, use a large spoon and stir together whole wheat flour, white flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt. Gently mix in the buttermilk until a soft dough is formed. Lift dough onto baking sheet and knead lightly on the baking sheet, picking up more flour and oats to form the crust. Divide dough into 2 pieces; form into rounded flat loaves. Cut an 'X' on top of loaves and place on prepared baking sheet.
    3. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 to 45 minutes.
    Last edited by Crashbang; 03-22-2010 at 08:07 PM.

I make the no-knead bread, too, with sourdough starter instead of yeast, but it's a very specific sort of bread, and not suited to whole grains/nuts/seeds etc.

mmmmm bread!

I used to make bread all of the time and found the same thing. It was much better when I used the bread maker to do all the mixing then take out the dough and bake it in the oven. Maybe the machine has too confined of a space.
    ~Ashley~

I used to make bread... till I found these mixes. No machine, measuring, or kneading. Easy & delicious! http://www.dassant.com/products.php
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    hey juke
    I'll try all the suggestions here, plus I noticed yesterday that Utube has a video or so on how to kneed dough by hand - my last computer had no sound options available. The Bittman thing sounds intriguing but my impression so far has been that no-kneed or no-yeast (sour dough being a noted exception) breads were inferior to the more basic form(s). Thanks for the input.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane