Thread: high speed internet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

high speed internet?

I've just been checking out what's availible in HS internet connections and am in need of input from you guys. Comcast's got a fast connect with a promotion at 19.99 for six months and more than twice that out of the promo period. Anyone know something that may be a little better?

I'm in N. Cal. (Sacramento), BTW.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

What choices are available to you? In most places, it is one cable company or dsl, and cable is superior as far as speed is concerned.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have Comcast, and have had success keeping the rate down by calling every time the special price expires, and asking if there's anything Comcast can do to lower the rate. I have a reminder in my calendar to call them every six months so I don't get hit with an unexpected bill.

$19.99 a month is a good price for cable internet for the promo plan. My mom started out with a similar plan from Cox Internet, but at the end of six months I changed her account to a different plan which cost about $25 a month. Her speed now is more comparable to a DSL service. She cannot tell the difference in speed between the two plans. Therefore, you will have to call Comcast to find out about their tier pricing for the Internet. I think the name of the plan I have my mom on is called Value Added.

Enter the information required by SpeedTest to find out more about speed, pricing, and competition in your area. I have used SpeedTest but I have not tried out this new option.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

That's a good price, watch out for contracts though.
    That's usually how these companies get $ out of us.
    I've used both Time Warner and ATT DSL, and I really can't tell a difference in speed. I prefer ATT DSL because Time Warner blocks port 80 and I was running a server to host our websites.
    I had two pc's and a Wii connected to the net. When Mom was still alive
    and we all used the net at once, the speed was great considering all
    the data being requested. Especially from the pc running our sites.

Gee, I think $20/month for high speed cable internet access from Comcast is great. I have Comcast and pay $48/month for internet and $63/month for cable TV (with 2 high def cable cards and hi def services...with no HBO, Nat Geo or anything special, "Basic with "Expanded Basic" it's phrased). With taxes, surcharges and fees...I pay Comcast $114/month. The internet and TV come in good enough....but the freaking bill seems to increase every year a couple of dollars. I'd love to get my bill pared down somehow.

Blocked by house manager

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Gee, I think $20/month for high speed cable internet access from Comcast is great. I have Comcast and pay $48/month for internet and $63/month for cable TV (with 2 high def cable cards and hi def services...with no HBO, Nat Geo or anything special, "Basic with "Expanded Basic" it's phrased). With taxes, surcharges and fees...I pay Comcast $114/month. The internet and TV come in good enough....but the freaking bill seems to increase every year a couple of dollars. I'd love to get my bill pared down somehow.
    Smokey, with no phone line at the apt. cluster here and only Comcast cable tv, I need the cooperation of the manager for the cable acct. #. She says she don't want anything more on the acct. and will not cooperate. I emptied my savings for the laptop and find myself with an OK DVD player. I'm looking for another place to live as of today. I hooked up with Sac. Self Help Housing and got a few leads. I never liked where I'm at now; last night I had to start calling the police about an altercation in the yard before the bad boyz got themselves under control.

Keep the thoughts coming though.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

my cable co. "MEDIACOM" is having the same deal for 12 months, goes up to around $50 after the promo.