Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think that my rights were violated at the Denver Airport tonight

Betheny: I don't wear AFO but can't get my shoes on and off independently because of bad clonus. I simply don't take them off, tell them I can't so the swab my shoes for explosives instead along with my hands. Atlanta --Delta gave me some grief but i held firm. A supervisor was called and he said I was correct. I travel alot for work so I hold firm.

I used to get lots of crap if I didn't get assistance. Now with assistance, I have no problems.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thanks for the info Cheesecake. In the summer I usually don't bother putting on shoes when heading to the airport. In the colder months I'd like to wear my boots but I don't because the TSA make me take them off so now with this info I'll insist that they swab my shoes instead.

Blog Entries
    Looks to me from your posts that he violated his OWN job rules. Simple, you do not know your job, fire the fucker. And don't feel bad about it.

This is bullshit, and unfortunately, it may have been brought on by a recent Denver TV news "investigation" where they got some local para to go through security with a pipe hidden in the backrest of his chair, similar to a pipe bomb. The TSA people at the Denver airport didn't catch it. It annoys me when news teams give terrorists ideas like this.

I'll keep your story in mind next time I fly out of Denver, and I'm going to print out and take the guidelines with me. I've always had good experiences at DIA and other airports, never had to get out of my chair and don't have to take my shoes off. I say, file the complaint.

TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

• If a personal search is required you may choose to remain in the public area or go to a private area for your screening. If you refuse either option you will not be able to fly.
    • You should be offered a private screening before the beginning of a pat-down inspection if the pat-down will require the lifting of clothing and/or display of a covered medical device.
    • You should be offered a disposable paper drape for additional privacy before the beginning of a pat-down.
    • You may request a private area for your personal search at any time during the screening process.
    • Your companion, assistant, or family member may accompany you and assist you during a private or public screening. After providing this assistance, the companion, assistant, or family member will need to be rescreened.
    • You may ask for a chair if you need to sit down during the screening process.
    • You should be allowed to raise you arms out during an inspection only as far as you indicate you can.
    • You should be allowed to remain in your wheelchair if you indicate that you are unable to stand and/or walk through the metal detector.
    • You may request a pat-down inspection in lieu of going through the metal detector or being handwanded. You do not need to disclose why you would like this option.
    • If you have a disability, condition, or implant, that you would like to remain private and confidential, ask the Security Officer to please be discreet when assisting you through the screening process.
    • You have the right to ask a Security Officer to change her/his gloves during the physical inspection of your accessible property, before performing a physical search (pat-down,) or any time a Security Officer handles your footwear.
    • Medication and related supplies that are carried through a checkpoint are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.
    • You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise you medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
    • If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property and in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector. Request the visual inspection and hand your medication bag to the Security Officer.
    • In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection.
    • Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

TSA: Mobility Disabilities - Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
    • Don't hesitate to ask a Security Officer for assistance with your mobility aid and carry-on items as you proceed through the security checkpoint.
    • Let the Security Officer know your level of ability. For example: whether you can walk, stand, have limited arm movement, or if you cannot stand and/or walk through the walk-through metal detector. This will expedite the screening process.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance if you need help walking through the metal detector.
    • Inform the Security Officer about any special equipment or devices that you are using and where this equipment or device is located on/in your body. This will help the Security Officer to be careful during a physical inspection if one is needed.
    • Request a private area for your pat-down inspection if you feel uncomfortable with having a medical device being displayed while inspected by the Security Officer.
    • Ensure that all bags and satchels hanging from, or carried on and under, your equipment are put on the X-ray belt for inspection.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance with putting your items on the X-ray belt, if needed.
    • Let the Security Officer know if you need assistance removing and putting your shoes back on your feet when additional screening is necessary.
    • Let the Security Officer know if your shoes cannot be removed because of your disability so that alternative security procedures can be applied to your shoes.
    • Ask the Security Officer to monitor your accessible property, mobility aid(s,) and device(s) during the screening process and reunite you with them once X-ray inspection is complete.
    • Security Officers will visually and physically inspect your wheelchair or scooter and perform explosive trace detection sample of the cushion. These inspections will be conducted while you remain in your wheelchair or on your scooter if you indicate that you cannot get out of your wheelchair or off your scooter.
    • You should not be required to transfer from your wheelchair to another chair or be lifted out of your chair during the inspection process.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    TSA: Mobility Disabilities - Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
    • Don't hesitate to ask a Security Officer for assistance with your mobility aid and carry-on items as you proceed through the security checkpoint.
    • Let the Security Officer know your level of ability. For example: whether you can walk, stand, have limited arm movement, or if you cannot stand and/or walk through the walk-through metal detector. This will expedite the screening process.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance if you need help walking through the metal detector.
    • Inform the Security Officer about any special equipment or devices that you are using and where this equipment or device is located on/in your body. This will help the Security Officer to be careful during a physical inspection if one is needed.
    • Request a private area for your pat-down inspection if you feel uncomfortable with having a medical device being displayed while inspected by the Security Officer.
    • Ensure that all bags and satchels hanging from, or carried on and under, your equipment are put on the X-ray belt for inspection.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance with putting your items on the X-ray belt, if needed.
    • Let the Security Officer know if you need assistance removing and putting your shoes back on your feet when additional screening is necessary.
    • Let the Security Officer know if your shoes cannot be removed because of your disability so that alternative security procedures can be applied to your shoes.
    • Ask the Security Officer to monitor your accessible property, mobility aid(s,) and device(s) during the screening process and reunite you with them once X-ray inspection is complete.
    • Security Officers will visually and physically inspect your wheelchair or scooter and perform explosive trace detection sample of the cushion. These inspections will be conducted while you remain in your wheelchair or on your scooter if you indicate that you cannot get out of your wheelchair or off your scooter.
    • You should not be required to transfer from your wheelchair to another chair or be lifted out of your chair during the inspection process.
    Yup, that's what I found sitting at my gate waiting to board the plane. I really wished I had known that before flying, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this in the many times I've flown.

And I forgot to include the best part in the story!
    I had a baseball hat on the entire time...and not once did they ask me to remove it! Ha what a bunch of morons!
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    For the future: Each and every airlines is required to have an ADA personnel on site at the airport. If this were to occur again, request that individual to come to the TSA screening area.

You can also ask the head of the airport TSA to come to your location. The law says clearly, you many be offered a private screening but you do NOT have to accept it. I always have my screening in the open, it has minimized issues. Additionally, I have someone from airport disability services assist me in moving thru TSA.

You do NOT have to remove AFO, get out of your chair, etc. My seat cushion has been checked from below and screeners have run their hands under me as I have leaned from side to side.

Yes security is getting tighter but if it is case by case, what made him focus on you? I would have asked that question.

Be sure to arrive early and always identify yourself with the airlines as a person with a disability needing assistance and early boarding/aisle chair. TSA can look up you accomondations with the airlines.

Last thing, keep TSA guidelines printed and on your lap---they won't take paper from you. When in doubt, refer to the guidelines.

I would file the complaint. The guidelines are in place to keep people from getting injured while being transferred, etc. I saw a lady be forced to remove an AFO and then no one assisted her in getting it back on, she couldn't do it herself. Same with an elderly man, they took his shoes off and he couldn't get them back on--they would not allow his family to assist----TSA was supposed to help him--they didn't.
    This is great info, it's important we all know our rights so we can put these people in their place. I have pretty good mobility and have no problem transferring, but that doesnt mean there isn't the chance of some kind of injury happening.

If they're finding things in chairs and they need to search them more, that's fine. But every official should be trained, there should be much more accomodations for getting in and out of the chair, or how about a screening device that can scan the entire chair? There are certainly better options than what he suggested- not giving me clearance if I couldn't get out of my chair. Simply ridiculous.

Knowing all this information I almost wish it happens again.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Sheesh, Bethany...I hadn't even considered my (relatively new) afo. I haven't flown since I began using one. What kind of beauracratic crap do they do with afo/kfo's?

sorry this happened divin Daren,
    I had to send my son several times a year for visitation out of Philadelphia airport. and had to fly a few times my self. I use two mafo's.
    those planes that hit the towers, the pentagon, and went into the ground in western Pennsylvania, were hijacked with box cutters. I have not had a problem with complying to the airline security checks. we were never treated in a unkind rude way, maybe a little embarrassing to be singled out and everyone looking curiously at us, but well I would rather be safe and have to take of my mafo's for a minute, than hijacked and flown away on a suicide mission.
    the only real complaint I have had with any of the airlines was when they destroyed an insured guitar and did not honer its replacement, and once on a visit to california, I had no clothes because my luggage ended up in alaska
    Last edited by jody; 03-21-2010 at 10:17 PM.