Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perils of plastic

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I do not think that at all...and I am sorry if you got that impression. I was just saying that I understand the concerns with plastic...and the biodegradable bags are a great idea that we will look into when our wallets become more stable.
    I knew what you meant. I was just confessing that there are times I get in the store and have a duh moment where I realize the reusable bags are still in the car!

I have recently returned from a trip to southeast asia where plastic is everywhere in the environment. A newly emerging and expanding consumer economy, nil restrictions on corporate marketing and a completely inadequate or no waste management systems have resulted in disaster. I predict environmental catastrophe in some places within 10 years if drastic action is not taken. It has to be seen to be believed in some areas, having seen some of these places 30 years ago compared to now I nearly cried.

The town on Vancouver Island where I vacation every year banned plastic shopping bags about 3 years ago. I have seen the odd tourist get pissy because they have to pay a quarter per bag if they want one. But overall, it seems both the majority of locals and tourists agree its a good policy. I have to admit I like it when I see almost everybody in the stores carrying around reusable cloth bags, as compared to here where it still seems pretty rare. I wish more towns and cities would get the nerve to ban plastic shopping bags. In this town, stores can still give customer bags, but they must charge 25 cents per bag. All of the money collected from bag sales goes right into youth and school programs within the town. So it really is a win-win situation in terms of cutting down on plastic bags and raising money for a good cause. Hopefully after they leave, some of the tourists might think twice about plastic bag use when they go home.

Coincidentally I was at Zellers this weekend and see they are now charging 5 cents per bag. It would be nice to see Walmart do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    The town on Vancouver Island where I vacation every year banned plastic shopping bags about 3 years ago. I have seen the odd tourist get pissy because they have to pay a quarter per bag if they want one. But overall, it seems both the majority of locals and tourists agree its a good policy. I have to admit I like it when I see almost everybody in the stores carrying around reusable cloth bags, as compared to here where it still seems pretty rare. I wish more towns and cities would get the nerve to do that. Stores can still give customer bags, but they must charge 25 cents per bag. All of the money collected from bag sales goes right into youth and school programs within the town. So it really is a win-win situation. Hopefully after they leave, some of the tourists might think twice about plastic bag use when they go home.

Coincidentally I was at Zellers this weekend and see they are now charging 5 cents per bag. It would be nice to see Walmart do the same.
    Ireland did this several years ago too, and it has had a very positive effect on the environment. Everyone carries their cloth bags with them instead of paying the fee, plus they are just bigger and sturdier anyway, so it is a plus for the consumer too. As I compose this I look out at the tree beyond my balcony that has at least three plastic bags snared in the still bare limbs, and I have been looking at the same bags most of the winter. They are torn, tattered, but clinging on proving how very non-biodegradable they are. Worse, when they finally wear away it is simply that they have broken down into smaller molecules that enter the water stream, our stomachs, and all the places they should never be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I also make it do double duty by using it to clean out my cats litter box.
    I think that if we drive smaller cars, drive less, try to be conscience of bad environmental habits, we can make a difference without going overboard. For example of overboard: http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-11-1...-ownership-dog

Whether 'tis better to throw out the plastic bags or the cats...

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Who to point fingers at ?

Story of Stuff; How Things Work, About Stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

khmorgan,
    That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I think cats are less problematic than dogs, just because of their size, but for all animal lover's I think having a pet is a little bit like having a kid....it's more work, more expense, but what you get back is SO worth it. I use biodegradable litter made from corn kernels, and my two felines have never needed a bath because they do not set paw outside to get dirty. Their toys are soft sacks filled with catnip instead of the hard plastic toys more commonly given to dogs. They eat dry food, so there are no cans. Their waste usually goes into biobags made of cornstarch, so that degrades quickly, as does the waste itself. I actually think their feces is less problematic than most humans, since they don't take antibiotics or hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Story of Stuff; How Things Work, About Stuff
    Its unbelievable how many half truths can be crammed into a few minutes. Put this with this video about "There is no global warming", and they would self-destruct.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    khmorgan,
    That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I think cats are less problematic than dogs, just because of their size, but for all animal lover's I think having a pet is a little bit like having a kid....it's more work, more expense, but what you get back is SO worth it. I use biodegradable litter made from corn kernels, and my two felines have never needed a bath because they do not set paw outside to get dirty. Their toys are soft sacks filled with catnip instead of the hard plastic toys more commonly given to dogs. They eat dry food, so there are no cans. Their waste usually goes into biobags made of cornstarch, so that degrades quickly, as does the waste itself. I actually think their feces is less problematic than most humans, since they don't take antibiotics or hormones.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't criticizing the keeping of pets. I was just saying that for every human activity, someone will find a way it can be destructive. I'm sure there are some people who would like to eliminate human life on earth so the earth could return to its natural state -- right up to the point the Sun burns out.

PS. I'm a dog person. Ever see a dog eat his own feces? Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    Its unbelievable how many half truths can be crammed into a few minutes. Put this with this video about "There is no global warming", and they would self-destruct.
    hehe, yeah but doesn't it just give you the warm fuzzies... thanks for watching, puts all this holier than thou crap into perspective... peace.