Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about quads and caregiving

Questions about quads and caregiving

Currently I have an aid that comes M-F in the AM who takes care of bowel+shower, range of motion and dressing. My issue is to remain independent I need to fill the remaining shifts to eliminate the burden I currently have, my brother.

I guess my main question is where would be the best place to seek out pca's?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Craig's List. In this recession, a newspaper ad will get 100 or more responses.
    You'll want to screen them well and maybe hire a private Dick (detective term from the old mystery novels) to check backgrounds.

Bulletin board ads at churches or colleges might work, too.

Try this link:

http://www.craighospital.org/sci/MET...CareAssist.asp

I have four caregivers that I hired from craigslist. I did background checks on the Internet for all of them. They are all excellent caregivers. Every time I put an ad in, I get maybe 25 responses and am able to weed them down by location, experience, age and modes of transportation. I've only had two caregivers out of probably 25 that I've gone through on their that were just nasty people. Otherwise, everybody's been great and just had to move on for better jobs or school. Give it a shot. You never know what you may find.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Craiglist for sure. click on the resume tab and search caregiver. You will find more people then on the domestics tab.

OK, sounds great thanks for the info.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by frwheel16 View Post
    Craiglist for sure. click on the resume tab and search caregiver. You will find more people then on the domestics tab.
    Never even knew bout this option. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    Currently I have an aid that comes M-F in the AM who takes care of bowel+shower, range of motion and dressing. My issue is to remain independent I need to fill the remaining shifts to eliminate the burden I currently have, my brother.

I guess my main question is where would be the best place to seek out pca's?
    What tasks do you need the caregivers to do for you later on in the day/night after your first aide leaves?

I ask because i'm a C-6 quad and also use an aide in the morning to help with bowel/shower/dressing/get food ready for me, but i've figured out ways to handle everything else on my own for the rest of the day and night. Maybe i or others can give some advice on certain issues that could lessen the need for an aide as the day goes on?

I literary need an aid for about 15-20 minutes in the evening for a transfer to bed, switch catheter bags and a quick adjustment in bed. Nobody wants an hour shift though from my experience...

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    I literary need an aid for about 15-20 minutes in the evening for a transfer to bed, switch catheter bags and a quick adjustment in bed. Nobody wants an hour shift though from my experience...
    Can yo transfer at all on your own or do you need assistance?

As for the bag switch, two things that might help. I personally don't even switch my leg bag to a night bag as i first did the first year or two. I use a Bard leg bag that holds 32 ounces and just keep it on while in bed. Most nights it won't fill up all the way until the aide comes, but on the nights it does and the urine starts to back up, it always wakes me up because i start to sweat and then i just empty the bag into a urinal that i keep next to my bed.

If you aren't comfortable with that idea, i did learn how to change bags on my own when i used to switch them. My aide would clean out the night bag every morning with bleach and water after she switched on my leg bag. She then would just cap the night bag and keep it next to my bed. Before transferring into bed at night, i'd empty my leg bag that i had on and i'd throw the night bag on to my bed with a chuck pad. Once on the bed i'd switch the bags. I'd first disconnect my leg bag from the catheter simply by using my thumb and thumbnail by gradually pushing it off the catheter. Once it got started it would slide off easy. The more times i did it, it became nothing hard to do. I'd have the chuck pad on my lap which i set the open catheter on since now it was connected to nothing and some urine could leak out. I'd then cap the leg bag with an extra cap i kept on a table by my bed. Then all that was left to do was use my teeth to pull the cap off the night bag while i held the tube part between the fingers of one hand and i did the same with the catheter in my other hand and i'd connect them. The first couple times trying it, i struggled connecting the two, but after do it many times, it got so much easier that it was second nature.

I just kept a crappy tv in my room for lighting and a remote. That way i could see what i was doing, then once all done i shut the tv off and it was dark again. Like i said though, the first few times trying to figure out a routine doing this it didn't go smooth, but after say 6-10 times, i had it down pat to where i could switch the bags in a few minutes.

Yeah, I need help with transfers and undressing...I go through a lot of fluids, I'm not sure how many ounces my leg beg is. I'll find out, either way I'd feel more secure with a night bag considering I would have a hard time emptying my leg bag into a urinal because it would consist of using both hands doing seperate actions when I need two hands to complete 99% of my tasks.

My Myspace