Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamster Soap Opera

Quote Originally Posted by agnes View Post
    Oh. my. gosh. The hamster soap opera!!

OJ, this is incredible... I am not familiar with hamsters and dont have any useful advise.. but it seems so surprising to find baby hamsters... !!
    hey agnes Yes it was quite a shock as they didn't realize the females were pregnant. My nephew went in the cage to take one out to play and began yelling "hamster babies, hamster babies."

I will try to post a few more pictures as they are able to take some. I am curious to watch how they change.

LOL, the story reminds me of a friend of mine and her two female rabits...
    TH 12, 43 years post

I use to have gerbils, and I can tell you that pet stores are the least qualified to sex the animals, or they simply don't care and lie through their teeth because there is such a short window of time they are tiny and wanted. I had this exact thing happen to me, and sorry to say but you do need to do something because the original parents will have another litter faster than you can imagine, in addition to the babies coming into their own fertility in what is an absurdly short amount of time. It is like an explosion of rodents! The way I dealt with it, because I couldn't bear to loose any but had to stop the endless breeding, was to buy another cage, learn to sex them myself, and kept the girls and boys in seperate cages on a wheeled butler cart until they all sucumbed to old age, which is about three years. I had asked the pet store about taking some back and they gave me the "yeah, we always need snake food" and I was horrified and knew I wasn't going to let that happen.

I forgot to mention that it was a roomate at the time who found the first babies, and came running to tell me there were "little pink erasers" in the cage, but they were moving!!

This ia just too good! Hamster soaps. I too have a story of a rabbit, wild one turned tame, a sweet thing called Star. ans a small himalian white we'll call smokey who as it turned out wasn't a female. Well we had an nclosed back yard and I sat to think upon the situation one afternoon, after about 3 or 4 litters(rabbits can get pregnant when nurseing) a new litter every 30 days, antway I'm contemplateing what on earth I'm gonna do with 53 rabbits!! I know, I'll eat them, no say the kids and WIFE sides with them. Gawd, long story short, gave em to neighbor kids, and set the rest loose in the woods. Gad we had wild rabbits around for years, gone now. Good luck with the little critters, maybe a new commercial, little hamsters, liddle burgers liddle cowpokes ya get the pic?

OMG- I am having a flashback. When my youngest daughter was in the third grade they had 2 hamsters as a class project. Had them all year long and then at the end of the year the kids that the parents said it was ok, put the names in a drawing and the winner got to keep them. Lucky me, Ashley won. Now all school year there was just 2 hamsters but low and behold about a month at our house and we have babies. Thinking I knew which one was the mom, I removed the dad, but then the "dad' had a litter. Long story short we had so many hamsters we gave every kid in her class hamsters and then gave the pet store hamsters and any body else who wanted them. We were a regular hamster factory. lol I have told everybody I really think the females and males can convert to the opposite sex just to reproduce. I don't know if thats possible but it sure seemed like it with our experience. I hate to say it but several of the little burgers did get eaten by the parents but they were having litters like once a week and it got really hard to determine what to do next.

He will have to have a party, and give out favors to his guests!

Sorry, no idea how to handle it. I only do dogs and cats.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

male hamsters have large nuts. the female has a more rounded hiney, while the males is longer.

Is my hamster a boy or a girl?
    By Luna Bug
    Sexing hamsters can be tricky, especially when they are young.
    Syrian males are usually more obvious. Once they have reached 4 weeks old they will have noticeable testicles that hang down below the rear end.
    Male Dwarves will have testicles as well, but they are less obvious. Also male Dwarves have a scent gland near the umbilicus (belly button). All male hamsters are capable of retracting their testicles up into the abdomen.
    Female Syrians, if the hair is short enough, will have noticeable nipples. There are two rows of nipples that run parallel on either side of the belly. Female Dwarves also have nipples, but they are typically much smaller and much harder to see.
    The easiest way to tell if your hamster is a male or female is to look at the distance between the two openings at the rear. This is the same with all hamsters, male or female.
    In males the anus (opening for excreting feces) and the penis (which is kept tucked up inside a small opening) are further apart. In females the anus (opening for excreting feces) and the vaginal opening (which leads to where the female organs are located) are much closer together in comparison to the male.

the male should be seperated from the mothers. they will have less fighting. give them little wooden chew toys. they are not expensive, and available at any pet store.