Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A better way to look at life

A better way to look at life

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1505598/

Interesting thoughts from Rick Hansen "Focus on what you can do, not what you can't"

“Still today, I feel my best work is in front of me,” he says, despite his significant achievements, including the Inter- national Collaboration on Repair Discoveries ( ICORD), the largest spinal cord injury research facility in the world, at the University of British Columbia, started with the help of Mr. Hansen’s Foundation.
    Is that true, that ICORD is the biggest facility? It's seldom mentioned here.

Scaper I think the reason that ICORD doesn't get mentioned more often here is because it suffers from "Not Made Here" syndrome.

Awesome! He's doing great work & has a wonderful attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Interesting thoughts from Rick Hansen "Focus on what you can do, not what you can't"
    This would seem rather obvious advice. It's also the reason why I hate physical therapy.

C.

Sadly, that notion doesn't really inspire or encourage me at all.

Yeah Amanda unfortunately it's not really applicable to high quads. I was hoping it would change the thinking of some of the lower injuries to not dwell on what they can't do but focus on what they can do.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1505598/

i hate that. the person usually saying that has a lot to focus on, like being a para.
    take a vent quad with no movement below the neck. what can he focus on, twinkling his
    nose.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    i hate that. the person usually saying that has a lot to focus on, like being a para.
    take a vent quad with no movement below the neck. what can he focus on, twinkling his
    nose.

I disagree. His message is clearly not aimed at high level quads on vents. If you are a high level quad on a vent you already know just exactly how "compromised" your life has become. You don't need some muppet para to point that out.
    His message is to the vast majority of the population who do not use sip and puff. And if it is a positive message then great. His message takes nothing away from the efforts of HL quads.
    And I for one find it quaint that a Canadian has something useful to give to other people.

AND STOP KILLING THE KITTENS (from the second comment at the bottom of the story)

"After studying the history of spinal cord research for over 25 years I can say that spending millions of dollars and wasting animal lives has not cured spinal cord injuries. The hope has come from the studies of human injuries. The mice, rats,guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, Canada Geese (rounded up in Stanley Park), non-human primates and others suffered needlessly.

Let's look at one example. For over 50 years cats have been intentionally crippled and forced to attempt to walk on a treadmill. This is done to see if excercise improves motor function recovery. Well the benefits of such human rehabilitation was and is known. One researcher alone uses approx. $1 million and one hundred kittens every year.

So BSK Lifeforce will continue to help people and animals by promoting humane, reliable non-animal spinal cord research.The time has come to stop wasting health care monies on this vivisection.That is how your daughter and others can be helped. "