Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran into a complication after my Turp

Ran into a complication after my Turp

So it had been three weeks since I had my bladder turp and things seemed to be going along well and the slight bleeding had stopped and thought I was home free when last monday night right after getting into bed at midnight I was laying there and my external cath loaded up with straight blood, I immediatly called 911 and got up and put some pants on and opened my front door. Was taken to the hospital and the urologist in the er had a rough time getting a foley cath in me. He finally got it in, then they gave me a med to sedate me. The next morning I woke up in a hospital room.

It was explained to me by the doc that scar tissue during the healing process must have broken away to early around the prostate near a blood vessel and thats what caused the bleeding. He said with a Turp (enlarged prostate operation) there is a 10 percent chance of this happening. I'm thinking maybe one thing that aggravated it was during my 3 week recovery I had a horrible chest cold and was coughing a real lot, also I was exercising some and maybe I should have just taken it real easy for at least a month.

They put me on bladder irrigation for a 24 hour period through the foley cath using saline, I was peeing like a race horse. The blood slowly went away and now it looks pretty much like normal pee. I spent 3 days in the hospital and just got home yesterday.

Anyhow, the doc takes out the foley on Tuesday and I'm nervous as all heck that when it comes out it may start bleeding again. I pee with a neurogenic bladder and external cath.

Is there anything I should do to facilitate the healing process and insure this does not happen again? Are the outcomes of these things generally pretty good from anybody who has had experience with this sort of thing or do I have to worry the rest of my life about it happening again? Pretty scary stuff. I have a flight in a about a month and half and would hate for this to happen on the flight. Hopefully once its healed, its healed.

I can imagine a similiar injury might be someone who puts a cath through their urethra and starts bleeding. Do these things generally heal up pretty good? I'm just taking it real easy for now.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Your doctor is right. This is a risk with any prostate TURP or even a sphincterotomy, although it usually occurs at about 7-10 days (if it is going to happen) when the "scab" from the surgery often sloughs off. It can certainly be made worse by trying to traumatically pass a catheter. Nothing you can really to do avoid it other than avoid any trauma to the area (like passing a catheter). Good thing that you went to the ER when you did.

(KLD)

Pretty much what happened to my AB father when he had a re-bore 7 or 8 years ago.

He started to bleed shortly after the surgery, they inserted an indwelling cath., left it for a week or so, took it out, told him not to over exert himself for six weeks and he hasn't had a problem since.

So hopefully Curt you should be home and dry.

Thanks KLD, yes I can imagine I would have bled to death, it was amazing I did not need a transfusion, seemed like I lost a lot of blood. It sure makes me appreciate life a lot more now, I really realize how fragile we can be. I feel blessed to have such a good doctor.

I love my neighborhood where I live in Florida, the people across the steet saw the ambulance at 1am and figured I was taken to Venice hospital and came to visit me the next day on their way to the beach. They took home my bloody cloths and wheelchair cushion and cleaned them and picked me up yesterday at the hospital. When I got home there were get well cards taped all over my front door from folks around here, I got really emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Your doctor is right. This is a risk with any prostate TURP or even a sphincterotomy, although it usually occurs at about 7-10 days (if it is going to happen) when the "scab" from the surgery often sloughs off. It can certainly be made worse by trying to traumatically pass a catheter. Nothing you can really to do avoid it other than avoid any trauma to the area (like passing a catheter). Good thing that you went to the ER when you did.

(KLD)
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 03-20-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks Timaru, I'm sure I'll be fine this time around. Just gonna take it real easy, I think maybe I did too much too soon after the surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Pretty much what happened to my AB father when he had a re-bore 7 or 8 years ago.

He started to bleed shortly after the surgery, they inserted an indwelling cath., left it for a week or so, took it out, told him not to over exert himself for six weeks and he hasn't had a problem since.

So hopefully Curt you should be home and dry.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'm kinda nervous about getting the indwelling cath taken out next tuesday that it may start bleeding again. I was thinking, I wonder if some type of slippery substance could be injected into the bladder through the foley like mineral oil or something to make it less likely when its sliding out to catch on the part of the prostate that was injured?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Freaky, bud.

When I read this, I have sympathy pains for real.

I hope all goes well.

When I had some surgeries some months ago, I put a foley in myself before going to the OR. A nurse told me when they do it, they use a syringe (like what's used to fill the foley balloon) full of KY and shoot it up the urethra before inserting the foley catheter. So I did that, and it worked great. Depending on the size of your catheter, you might be able to do the same. Sorry you're having a rough time Curt. But it's good to know you have nice neighbors, what they did was pretty cool. Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I'm kinda nervous about getting the indwelling cath taken out next tuesday that it may start bleeding again. I was thinking, I wonder if some type of slippery substance could be injected into the bladder through the foley like mineral oil or something to make it less likely when its sliding out to catch on the part of the prostate that was injured?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Well the foley came out this mourning with no problems and no bleeding, the urine is totally clear, no blood.

My question for SCI nurse or somebody knowlegable about a tear in the prostate, how long should I take it easy 2 weeks? 1 month? It will be a month since the Turp on Friday, but only a week now since I had the bleeding incident. I'd love to get back to riding my handcycle in a couple weeks as the weather is getting so nice, but if thats pushing it I'll wait a month, I dont want the bleeding to ever happen again, not sure if the prostate gland heals slow or fast. I'm currently taking saw palmetto to try and speed things up, that along with lots of fluids.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

This is from the urologist my father chose......

What is life like after TURP?

Recovery can take anywhere from two to eight weeks. During the first few weeks after the operation, there may be a deterioration of some of the symptoms present before surgery. You may have some temporary problems controlling urination, but long-term incontinence rarely occurs. These symptoms can be helped by pelvic floor exercises and medication sometimes, especially to reduce the urge to pass urine.