Thread: Whats the height of your pontoon or deck boat

Whats the height of your pontoon or deck boat

Ok I am looking for some information from all of you boaters out there. I have the green light to have built a wheelchair accessible ramp to get in and out of boats prior to and after getting out of the water. The ramp will have two levels one for those who can walk or have limited mobility to get in say a regular fishing or pleasure boat and one for those of us confined to a wheelchair to get on either a pontoon boat or deck boat. I measured my pontoon at the house and from the ground to the entry gate is 50 inches. Now I know the height is going to vary from pontoon to pontoon due to different pontoon sizes and types of trailers etc. But there has to be an average height that will work. The ramp will have a ramp to cross over to the boat so that you do not have to be right up tight against it to load and will also adjust up or down a couple of inches to compensate for the different heights. If you have either a deck boat or pontoon and have a chance would you see what the height from the ground to the bottom of the loading gate is and let me know.

Thanks
    Nevada

Your asking for a measurement as it sits on the trailer?

Mine sits at 51.5". 24" toons on top of the bunks, with low profile trailer tires.
    Last edited by DIGGER; 03-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    DIGG.

Rodger that digger looking for a height of the boat while on the trailer. Thanks for your input

If you are going to board while it is on the trailer maybe something like scissor table would work. Then you could deal with different hieghts.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Don't know what your budget is, but one of these portable lifts might be an safer and more versatile option than trying to pull a boat alongside a stationary ramp. Google (outdoor wheelchair lifts)
    DIGG.

Thanks for the ideas on other ramps but this will be used by the general public at one of the main boat ramps on the lake where I work. It has to be as maintenance free as possible and really can not have any mechanical parts, hence the ramp.

I think its great what you are doing. I wish more areas would do the same. I took David to our local fair grounds to watch the dirt track races. We got there told them we would need handicap seating and they told us to go the pile of dirt on turn three...the same area the cars all go off and the ambulance sits there. Sorry got off subject, but my thinking was there is just so many things wheelers would love to do if the opportunity was only there. Would love to see pictures of your finished project.

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    Ok I am looking for some information from all of you boaters out there. I have the green light to have built a wheelchair accessible ramp to get in and out of boats prior to and after getting out of the water. The ramp will have two levels one for those who can walk or have limited mobility to get in say a regular fishing or pleasure boat and one for those of us confined to a wheelchair to get on either a pontoon boat or deck boat. I measured my pontoon at the house and from the ground to the entry gate is 50 inches. Now I know the height is going to vary from pontoon to pontoon due to different pontoon sizes and types of trailers etc. But there has to be an average height that will work. The ramp will have a ramp to cross over to the boat so that you do not have to be right up tight against it to load and will also adjust up or down a couple of inches to compensate for the different heights. If you have either a deck boat or pontoon and have a chance would you see what the height from the ground to the bottom of the loading gate is and let me know.

Thanks
    Nevada
    I am not sure I understand your question is the boat in the water? if so does the water level go up and down? is your ramp going to float with the water level? I am sorry but the trailer height to me makes no difference, they only have 24" and 25" pontoons if that helps.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

No, the boat and trailer are out of the water you would use the ramp to get in the boat just a few 100 yards away from the boat ramp. I got the idea from one of the county parks I oversee on the lake. Their ramp is not built to ADA standards as far as slope to rise but the thing gets used by older people all the time that have bad hips etc. so that they do not have to deal with a boat that is rocking in the water and maybe almost a 18 inch drop from the courtesy dock to their boat. There are actually 26-inch pontoons as well and the type of trailer can make a difference, as there are bunk type trailers and crank up and down trailers plus a variety of different wheel sizes from 10 inch to 14-inch tire sizes